How To Find Adulteration in Petrol and Diesel?

Thread Starter #1
I had googled and found no clear answers. Is there any way to find the quality of diesel like the filter paper test for petrol?

Re: How To Find Adulteration in Diesel?

This can be good informational thread if we can get input from the experts on ths as well as other fuels like petrol.

PS Can you rename your thread to "How To Find Adulteration in Diesel and Petrol"

Thread Starter #3
Re: How To Find Adulteration in Diesel?

This can be good informational thread if we can get input from the experts on ths as well as other fuels like petrol.

PS Can you rename your thread to "How To Find Adulteration in Diesel and Petrol"
I am sorry konkantrip. Being a noob, i don't really know how to edit thread title. Please guide me how to do it.

Filter Paper Test (for Petrol)

• Clean the mouth of the dispensing nozzle to remove stains.
  • Put a drop of petrol on the filter paper from the nozzle.
  • It should evaporate in about 2 minutes without leaving a stain on the filter paper. (If the area of the filter paper where the drop of MS was put remains pinkish, it is the colour of the MS and not any stain). If a stain is left on the filter paper, there is a possibility of adulteration.
Customer can immediately lodge a complaint if Filter paper is not available at Retail outlet for testing of Petrol. It is the duty of the Dealer to provide the filter paper on demand by the customer.

Density Check (for Petrol and Diesel, including branded fuels)
A 500 ml jar, calibrated hydrometer & thermometer and ASTM (American Society for Testing of Materials) conversion charts are required to carry out density test. A hydrometer is a very simple instrument for measuring density of any liquid, which would be different for petrol and diesel.

• Fill about 3/4th of the jar with the product taken through the nozzle of the Dispensing unit.
  • Dip the thermometer and the hydrometer in the jar and record the temperature and density.
  • The actual density observed is then converted into density at 15 degree centigrade with the help of the conversion chart. This converted density is then compared with reference density taken from the register maintained at the Retail Outlet.

source: http://www.bharatpetroleum.in/EnergisingBusiness/QualityQantity.aspx?id=1

I had googled and found no clear answers. Is there any way to find the quality of diesel like the filter paper test for petrol?

Last edited:
Also if you look at the machine it shows the reading of density , I was under the impression that these machines automatically calibrate it ! But these numbers are manually entered & are of no use reading or referring.

A tip i can suggest to any one who decided to go ahead with tests of the fuel is to have the petrol pump associations number for that city. I remember seeing in the news that these associations are stricter(i assume) than the local cops.

Top Bottom