Solutions For Car / Bike Keys Getting Lost?

Thread Starter #1
Case Study
--------------

A Car Owner drives his vehicle away from his residence for a Holiday to a far place say near Hill Station or a religious place or any other tourist spot. He checks in a Hotel and after 1-3 days he checks out from the Hotel but then he notices that his car keys are Lost.

There is a automatic sensor lock for locking the car from front and rear doors.
The Car was locked from outside with the automatic lock Key and the key which allows him to start the car as well as the sensor door lock key has been lost.

What are the solutions for him to drive his automobile by getting Door Lock/UnLock Keys and Car Start Key ?.

1. Do the Owner has to contact the Authorized service center of the Automobile Manufacturer which is nearest to the place he has visited ?.

i.e. Maruti Suzuki Manufacturer - Contact Maruti Authorized service center.

2. Any other Authorized service center of not the Automobile manufacturer can also help in this regard ?.

i.e. Maruti Suzuki Manufacturer - Honda Authorized service center can help ?.

3. Do a Nearest Automobile repair Garage from his place help him in this Regard ?.

4. Do a Duplicate Key maker who makes duplicate keys for House locks help in creating car keys i.e. Car Door Key and Car Start Key for the same ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Solution/s for Automobile Keys getting Lost.

Hello There
This is a very good topic and I was thinking to open the same myself.
Todays cars are built with Immobilizer and other advanced Security features. Imagine the scenerio with-

Battery Runs down in Remote
Water/Sand/Dust entry has destroyed the Remote
Remote Genuinely lost.

For the Points 1 & 2, I tried it on my i10. Some remotes have built in Physical key. However the whole point here is moot![frustration]
I could unlock the door, But car sounded a loud alarm and also the engine will not start. So if you think that you have been provided a physical key, don't live in a cloud of Ignorance!! Its totally useless.[cry]

350Z

Core Team
A Car Owner drives his vehicle away from his residence for a Holiday to a far place say near Hill Station or a religious place or any other tourist spot. He checks in a Hotel and after 1-3 days he checks out from the Hotel but then he notices that his car keys are Lost.
First, it's advisable to carry the spare key in a secure place which is certain won't be left in the car anytime (Eg: Shirt pocket) whenever travelling on long distances.

What are the solutions for him to drive his automobile by getting Door Lock/UnLock Keys and Car Start Key?
The instant course of action should be to contact carmaker's customer care and keep the car in watch. You could end up losing car itself if the key falls in wrong hands.

Most manufacturers will cooperate in emergency situations (on a chargeable basis) even if one is not subscribed to their 24x7 roadside services.

Some remotes have built in Physical key. However the whole point here is moot! I could unlock the door, But car sounded a loud alarm and also the engine will not start. So if you think that you have been provided a physical key, don't live in a cloud of Ignorance!! Its totally useless.
I read in Grand i10's ownership manual that it is possible to turn on the car even if the remote battery goes kaput.

Quoting an excerpt from our review to show how (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nd-i10-diesel-review-test-drive-pictures.html).
> You can take out manual key which is neatly integrated into remote by pressing tiny silver button if remote runs out of battery.

> Similarly, it is also possible to start the car in case remote control has low battery by directly pushing it against start-stop button.

bhvm

Honoured Member
First, it's advisable to carry the spare key in a secure place which is certain won't be left in the car anytime (Eg: Shirt pocket) whenever travelling on long distances.

I read in Grand i10's ownership manual that it is possible to turn on the car even if the remote battery goes kaput.
1) Yes, we are carrying both the keys during an outing to avert this situation

2) It could be possible only on certain Models/Variants. My i10 Is Pre-facelift variant. my XUV 500 is latest one. On both the cars, manual key DOES NOT HELP. Just alarm going off and car wont start.[frustration]

We need a better solution to this problem.

My Ecosports is keyless entry & Start (no physical key to start or open door), but they key should be inside (drivers pocket ) car to start the car,

i have opened the remote key and found the battery is normal battery gettable at any local watch repair shop, planning to get one more battery for emergency purpose

Happened with my parents yesterday only.
Driver lost the Key.
Our Bajaj insurance policy does provide key loss security (Get the duplicate key from home to lost place).
After contacting bajaj their representative told that they will toe the car to nearest service station (of their tieup) and then they will deliver car at home [sleep]

As the location was not far enough (60 kms) our driver picked up duplicate kay and went back.

Very good topic to be discussed. Thanks prashantakerkar for opening this thread.

My Sparky does not come with auto lock or remote lock. It was with normal lock and i have fixed remote from after market. Since My car is on finance, another key was with Financier. So as soon as I got the car, I had made a duplicate key and always have that in my wallet. In case of emergency I can use it.

But I do not know what to do for the alarm when we open it with physical key when it is locked with remote.

Planning to make another duplicate and leave it in my wife's hand bag.

Can you tell me is it possible to make another duplicate remote for our cars?

Need Help. Bad time. !

Hello all. I have a problem. I lost the keys with the remote of my Safari dicor today. [frustration] my mistake. I do have another spare but I want another set as a spare. Well I was wondering where can it be done as this vehicle has Engine Immobilizer. Has anyone got an extra key and remote done? can you give me details of the price and procedure please.

One more..I parked my vehicle in the market the other day and I found that the left fog lamp glass was broken when I returned [frustration](the light glass. The filament is still good and its glowing too). There is a small scratch below the fog lamp. Was wondering if I could get a light glass replace.[confused] I am sorry I am not using the correct word. Do I need to buy a pair or can I get a single piece? What could be the price of this. Will attach the snaps tomorrow.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Need Help. Bad time. !

Hello all. I have a problem. I lost the keys with the remote of my Safari dicor today. [frustration] my mistake. I do have another spare but I want another set as a spare. Well I was wondering where can it be done as this vehicle has Engine Immobilizer. Has anyone got an extra key and remote done? can you give me details of the price and procedure please.
You can get a duplicate key made if you've the keycode. Reach out to Tata Motor's customer care for exact procedure.

Drive Safe,
350Z

If you are the first owner of the car, the Key number would be written in the owner's manual. Please approach any TASS they will get it done cost should be approx Rs 1200/-.

I doubt you get Fog lamp Glass, you may have to buy a pair.

Today we have car with immobiliser , autocops etc, but in general cars don't get these features 7-10 years down the line. One of the regular mistake our Chauffeur do is lock the door from inside and after parking he goes out pull the handle and release the door, a innovative technique used to lock the car without inserting the key from outside door. As a result in some of the not so lucky days the key remains in ignition and the car locked. We have to send him quite a no of time to bring the duplicate keys from our home.
Once he brought an idea of removing the rubber lining and pull the glass, I rejected totally, even old cars rubber linings one removed can't be put in place properly second time.
Now we have immobiliser and carrying duplicate key is the only option when in long trip and no way a car can be started if the original keys are not there, service centre is the only option for rescue.

Locking door without key from inside lock while holding outer handle is a very bad habit. I have gone through that situation a year ago. Forgot key inside the car and locked the door. Luckily i was only 12 kms away from home. Then decided to get rid of this bad habit and after a month installed Autocop remote central locking.
Since my car has immobilizer equipped from manufacturer and remote central lock installed aftermarket. In case of remote battery went kaput i can unlock the door with key and also can start the car but what about the alarm. Is there any way to stop the alarm without remote?

Locking door without key from inside lock while holding outer handle is a very bad habit.
This is not possible with certain cars like Linea / Punto (it will unlock immediately once it senses the door is not closed) and I wish all the cars get this feature.

This is not possible with certain cars like Linea / Punto (it will unlock immediately once it senses the door is not closed) and I wish all the cars get this feature.
Likewise, even Figo would never get locked with keys in. The Autolock would work only under 2 circumstances. 1. All doors closed and the speed crosses 7 KMPH; 2. Unlocked using remote, and no doors or boot were opened for 45 seconds. Otherwise, never! Clever indeed!!

Good topic. During college days, I always used to carry spare key of my bike in wallet even during local usage - which came in handy at least 2 - 3 occasions. Its a good idea to carry spare key in wallet or handbag so avoid trouble during long drives

Top Bottom