What is the 'Exact' Definition of an SUV?

Thread Starter #1
Stay Hungry Stay Foolish - Steve Jobs

Stay Hungry: Keep Exploring
Stay Foolish: Keep trying new things

How it went:

These days I am preparing for saddlesore and hence can be seen riding around my city or even crossing the state borders and entering Delhi, Haryana or Uttarakhand. All of it just to fulfill one target that I am yet to achieve - 300 kilometers on my motorcycle in 4 hours on our roads.

Today I was doing the same and came to find a poor Safari Storme stuck in the loose soil(I guess his rear wheels have dug at least 6 inches). Yes, the over confident guy tried to overtake slow moving traffic and ended up getting stuck. The place where he was stuck, I witnessed trucks, buses, hatchbacks, sedans and of course my pulsar also crossing like a delight and most of them were scraping their bellies too while doing the same. Well, anyone who have traveled between Muzaffarnagar and Haridwar on NH-58 these days can understand what type of road..err..mild off roading track I am talking of. Yes, Mahindra can organize next 'Great Escape' on this 83 kilometers long stretch.

This was the situation, now let's get to question:

What an SUV exactly is?
I am not going to put the numerous definitions one can find on internet here but my concern is:

1) Are our so-called SUV's are actually SUV's?
2) We have UV's like Bolero, Scorpio, Safari, Endy etc which come in both 4X2 and 4X4 avatars. Now do their 4X2 avatars also qualify for being called SUV's or they are also just station wagons?
3) If high GC is the criteria then why Maruti Eeco isn't an SUV?
4) If 4X4 is the criteria then why Aria 4X4 and many other AWD's are not SUV's?

And a lot more questions. but yes, I am really unable to make out what an SUV actually is? Because these days we have cars like Ecosport, Duster also in the category of SUV's and this category contains the ones like Rangie too.

What an SUV exactly is?
And a lot more questions. but yes, I am really unable to make out what an SUV actually is? Because these days we have cars like Ecosport, Duster also in the category of SUV's and this category contains the ones like Rangie too.
Found this classic picture of a Land Rover and thought of sharing it here before posting a few lines in line with the thread.
LR.png
Original image here: Link

Meaning of SUV?

• For some, it’s 4x4
  • For others, a rugged mini truck
  • For some, space and GC
  • For some, aggressive looks
  • There are quite a few, for whom an SUV means “arrogance”.
  • For many a combination of all the above.

It all depends on how you define it based on your requirements and to what extend you want your SUV to “Sport”.

• Rugged and built tough- prefers basically a truck platform or a BOF. Even among bigger players, prefer a LC over a LR. I know there are quite a list of great SUVs built on unibody design as well.
  • Adequate power available on demand.

After all, an SUV is a light truck, so towing capacity a must.
  • I would need two comfortable rows for 5 passengers and ample storage/cargo space behind.
  • A good GC.
  • If I am into off-road “Sports”, 4x4 is a must. Otherwise I am ok with a RWD or an AWD, to negotiate on-road hurdles in India.

So for me, a Tata Storme, Mahindra Scorpio, Tata Aria, Endy, etc in both RWD, AWD or 4x4 avatars qualify in the SUV category and strictly not the likes of Ecosports and Dusters.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Go anywhere capability, 4X4, size, space, utility and massive pulling power. A lot of factors can be considered and hence making it subjective.

For me it needs to have go anywhere capability and a good engine, no matter what the size or space is.

@Manoj:
What about XUV? Is it an SUV(in your views) in any of its avatars, be it FWD or AWD?

All these things are subjective and debates can go on and on.

I will give examples of what I think -

SUVs - Fortuner, Pajero, All Land Rovers, Scorpio, Bolero, Storme, etc. (all in their 4x4 avatar)
Crossover - XUV, Aria, CRV, etc.
Softroaders - Captiva, Outlander, X-trail, etc.

Now, some may debate how the Scorpio or Bolero is an SUV. See, they may not be as competent off roaders as the Land Rover, but are we talking about their abilities here? It is like saying - the ladoo is not very sweet, but it is still a ladoo right?!

@Manoj:
What about XUV? Is it an SUV(in your views) in any of its avatars, be it FWD or AWD?
I don’t think the XUV is built for any serious off-roading. But considering the way it fared at Desert Storm 2012 amongst the likes of Grand Vitaras, gypsies, Hiluxes, Mitsubishis etc one can’t undersee the capability of the platform and drivetrain of the XUV 5OO.I know it’s a race car which must have seen some modifications though.

Though I would call it a SUV as long as you intend it to be used on roads, but certainly won’t spent a 16L to test the 4x4 capabilities of the XUV500 for an unworthy show.[embarass]

A simple definition I would think of an SUV is "A vehicle with which you go off-roading, ride on any sort of terrain, enjoying ride on those terrains, come out of those terrains without daming you or your car, drive comfortably on those terrains and still say - yahooooo! am going back onto that off-roader again!!!" [:D]

All these things are subjective and debates can go on and on.

I will give examples of what I think -

SUVs - Fortuner, Pajero, All Land Rovers, Scorpio, Bolero, Storme, etc. (all in their 4x4 avatar)
Crossover - XUV, Aria, CRV, etc.
Softroaders - Captiva, Outlander, X-trail, etc.

Now, some may debate how the Scorpio or Bolero is an SUV. See, they may not be as competent off roaders as the Land Rover, but are we talking about their abilities here? It is like saying - the ladoo is not very sweet, but it is still a ladoo right?!
but X-trail is a superb offroader! it can almost give competition to a Pajero.

SUV : Suburban utility vehicle or Sports utility vehicle
Its an 'utility' vehicle which can be used for variety of reasons including load/cargo to the level allowed with go anywhere attitude and capable to support as passenger carriage, luxury vehicle etc. Its traditionally has truck base with capability of luxury sedan. (courtesy : wikipedia)

but X-trail is a superb offroader! it can almost give competition to a Pajero.
As Dharmesh mentioned, SUVs like Pajero, Prado etc. are built on a LOF chassis with low range gearbox and LSD. They are made for off roading. Outlander and X-trail are made with an objective to be comfortable on the road with the occasional off road adventures, if the need arises.

As per wikipedia, "A sport utility vehicle or suburban utility vehicle (SUV) is a vehicle similar to a station wagon or estate car, and are usually equipped with four-wheel drive for on- or off-road ability."

I personally didn't like the word "usually" here.

I personally wanted to buy a real SUV, yes I mean 4 wheel drive one. But, due to budgetary constraints couldn't and settled for a sedan.

According to me, SUVs with 2 wheel drive or those ecosport/dusters are just crap. They are good cars, may be named as XUVs but not SUVs.

If from tomorrow I start calling my roadside panwala as "Ratan Tata", he won't be a business tycoon. [;)]

SUV means 'suburban utility vehicle' or 'sports utility vehicle'. SUVs are vehicles that are built for off-roading. An SUV will usually be rugged, with specially designed suspension and hard springs and coilovers for off-roading. SUVs are usually and mostly 4WD but there are some SUVs which are driven with rear wheels or front wheels. SUVs are built with heavy amounts of materials which help in keeping them strong. 4x4 SUVs are not meant for highway cruising and are meant only for off-roading. It is not safe in an SUV to go above 120 kmph. SUVs have lots of body roll at high speeds but there are some makes which create SUVs with lesser body roll. You cannot say a Tata Aria 4x4 as an SUV because of its sedan type construction but you can call it as a crossover and can do mild off-roading with it. You cannot tell Eeco as an SUV because of its van-type construction and its toy-like tyres and hence it is called as a high milege van. You cannot call innova as an SUV because of its not sufficient ground clearance and its MUV type construction and its rear wheel drive. Hope everybody understood the concept of an SUV.

Keep Revving,
hvrudhula

SUV is is an automotive that is defined by its capabilities. Originally, SUVs were built on light truck platforms, with a body bolted onto a frame. Today, many SUVs are built on car platforms, with a unibody chassis and no separate frame. First Known Use of SPORT-UTILITY VEHICLE is 1978.

Top Bottom