Ants Getting in My Car Dashboard

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I have come across this weird problem of Ants in my car's dashboard. I basically park my car outside. Its recently serviced, vacuumed and no instances of any food in my car. These are tiny red ants in the dashboard.

Its very irritating to see these crawling on the dashboard.

When googled, I found that they are attracted to grease.

Has anybody experienced this? Any thoughts?

thanks,
Mahantesh

Re: Ants in my car's dashboard

I had the exact same problem in my Polo. These little things were crawling all over the dashboard and into it through the gaps. There were loads on the outer body too.
What I did was buy three tins of PifPaf (that's basically something like Hit that my dad brought from Muscat) and sprayed the entire car (interiors), closed it and left it like that for three or four days (because everyday, when I went to check, there were still some ants coming from the dashboard). Three cans and one week later, my car was completely ant free [:D] Didn't use my car the entire week.

Regards,
Vipin

Thread Starter #3

thanks Bro, I thought of doing that, but my daughter is too young for all these toxins. I tried the Boric powder bait, but these seem to be Grease loving ants. May be I will have to try some bait, not sure which one is effective and safe as well.

Just an Idea. park your car direct to Sunlight for the full day. Due to heat, ant may leave the car.

don't know whether it will work or not, Just give a try[:)]

Just an Idea. park your car direct to Sunlight for the full day. Due to heat, ant may leave the car.

don't know whether it will work or not, Just give a try[:)]
But it may have some another impact as ant ants may relocate to some cooler and darker place in car for e.g towards seats. The best option would be to use any chemical in gas form which can penetrate in every corner.

i too had this problem in my vento. no the sunlight treatment won't work as my car is parked the whole day under the sun. me and wifey used to kill the when ever they are spotted and now my car is ant free. i didn't go for chemicals for the sake of my kids.

Thread Starter #7

No luck with parking in direct sunlight. Not sure if spraying HIT on tires will stop these from entering the car.

mate those ants would have already made your car their home so spraying hit on the tyres isn't going to help. start killing them with your hands one by one, and good luck.

Hi Mahantesh , i too had same problem .
What i did is washed engine area and spare wheel area with water . Then i used HIT and Mortein and left it for a day . NO ANTS AFTER THAT !

Thread Starter #10

Thanks All...

Sounds good Ankit, thanks, I will definitely give it a try your way. Hope to have the same result. :)

mate those ants would have already made your car their home so spraying hit on the tyres isn't going to help. start killing them with your hands one by one, and good luck.
hahaha if he will kill those ants one by one then he will take the whole day for mission Ants hahahaha By the way good idea [lol]

I can suggest you an DIY idea-

I have Maruti Suzuki OEM Dashboard shiner. It has absolutely weird smell (no not sticky). You just spray same and see the result.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
All,

I have been doing this Mission Ants since couple of days and cleaned up the engine bay (Swift) and while doing that saw these intruders crawling around greasy areas in groups. So cleaned the excess grease and sprayed couple of rounds of HIT. As I was using my car last week daily, I now see them reducing in numbers. Looks like if I park my car for few days continuously they tend to get interested in hoping in.

I will keep posting my observations periodically.

Thanks all and hope some one get benefited with this post.

Cheers

It's good they leaving your car and Best of Luck for Mission Ants.
Do clean area behind rear seat as sometimes they move to that area when we use HIT.

Top Bottom