Tyre Puncture - Repair or Replace?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys
Hope everyone is doing great. Today i found out that the front right tyre of my car is punctured. I went to the puncture shop and he spotted atleast 10 punctures in the tyre. I am sure that this is the work of some miscreants in our society.
Now my question is, Should i go ahead and repair the tyre or replace it?
Will the tyre be road worthy after fixing so many punctures?
The tyre is MRF Tubeless Tyre.
Car is Ford Fiesta Classic.

I need your inputs guys.

Thanks
Vishal K

Re: Tyre Puncture - Repair or Replace

Replace .

If you repair it by pushing in using the locally available kits then,it will definitely damage your tire. (cost ~ 500-600) Its more costly if you do it using Mushroom patch.(May use this as the spare tire after that)
If any of the punctures are on the sidewalls ,you can forget the tire altogether.

Thread Starter #3

Replace .

If you repair it by pushing in using the locally available kits then,it will definitely damage your tire. (cost ~ 500-600) Its more costly if you do it using Mushroom patch.(May use this as the spare tire after that)
If any of the punctures are on the sidewalls ,you can forget the tire altogether.
Hi Thanks for the information but this tyre is pretty new!!! My car has only 7K on the ODO. the puncture is not on the sidewalls, it is on the tyre itself, I mean if you place the tyre horizontally on the ground, the rubber above the metal alloy has punctures. I hope i was able to put it in a way so that you guys can understand.

Hi Thanks for the information but this tyre is pretty new!!! My car has only 7K on the ODO. the puncture is not on the sidewalls, it is on the tyre itself, I mean if you place the tyre horizontally on the ground, the rubber above the metal alloy has punctures. I hope i was able to put it in a way so that you guys can understand.
If the spare tyre is good, replace the damaged tyre with spare permanently and use this as spare after mending it. In this way, you can save money for now. Also, you can rotate between the four tyres every 5000 kms till they worn out and replace all 5 (including the damaged spare) at one go.

I got your point.
Repair it and keep it as spare.(I told you about two types of repair ) Best is to go for Mushroom type .But for 10 it will cost you 2K.
The other method (insertion mechanism) actually bends the steel linings inside the tire and in rainy season water seeps inside .This will rust the steel and weaken it.
This tire is not be used for driving in excess of 80 KMPH.

Hi Guys
Hope everyone is doing great. Today i found out that the front right tyre of my car is punctured. I went to the puncture shop and he spotted atleast 10 punctures in the tyre. I am sure that this is the work of some miscreants in our society.
Now my question is, Should i go ahead and repair the tyre or replace it?
Will the tyre be road worthy after fixing so many punctures?

I need your inputs guys.

Thanks
Vishal K
The best option is to buy a tube and convert is as a 'tube' type. Only thing you will miss is some of the advantages of tubeless tyres. But still better than replacing the tire (or repairing it at 10 places)

As I'm newbie to this,

Can anyone comment how much it cost to repair one puncture in a Car tyre using Mushroom patch as well insertion mechanism ?

What is the current rate ?

Smart decision you won't rue, 10 punctures are a bit too much either there is some mischief here or you must have unknowingly driven on a flat tyre - in any case wise decision in not compromising safety, you don't want that tyre to blow at 90 kmph on some highway.

Well done.you are better off with a new tyre

I went to the puncture shop and he spotted atleast 10 punctures in the tyre. I am sure that this is the work of some miscreants in our society.

Thanks
Vishal K
My car has only 7K on the ODO.
Errrr... Pune! Ford!! MRF!!! 7K ODO!!!! Multiple Punctures!!!!! Many things you mentioned are haunting me with my "Unforgettable" and "Unforgivable" experiences. Do you stay or commute around Nashik Phata or in Mumbai-Pune Old Highway? Then, you may don't have to suspect any sabotage in your society, rather, another major scam around it. You maybe interested to check my older thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ns/4651-how-deal-multiple-tyre-punctures.html. At least, you will get some relief that, you are not alone!

When I had my "first" incident, my tyres were just 7-8K on ODO. And, it didn't stop there, but was recurring to me, until I was in Pune. Every weekend, my job after cleaning the car is to search for nails in each tyre and I won't fail to find at least 1 or 2 in one of the tyres. I tried to work out all combinations to find the reason for such recurring punctures.
  • Is it something wrong with all MRF Tyres? Can't say, as it's not the case with all.
  • Is it something wrong with the tyres or the material in my car? Maybe. So it's less protective against such abuses.
  • Is it only in Pune? Can't say so as many don't have such complaints. But can't just ignore it as there were many such incidents reported as well. Even Times Mirror reported such incidents with pics of Nails Planted on the Roads by the Tyre Guys to make quick, cheap money. Moreover, the same set of tyres were running fine without any such punctures after I moved to Bangalore.
And, I just did some google, and here are the results.

So, that's the culprit?

BTW, a friend of mine in Chennai too have the same issue and fixes at least 1 puncture a week. The tyre here again is MRF!

Hi All
I have decided to replace the tyre with a new one. It will cost around 4200 INR. Thanks for all the wonderful answers.
Good choice. It won't survive such an abuse. Either a new tyre or add a tube and keep it as spare. However, the former is much preferred.

Thread Starter #14
Errrr... Pune! Ford!! MRF!!! 7K ODO!!!! Multiple Punctures!!!!! Many things you mentioned are haunting me with my "Unforgettable" and "Unforgivable" experiences. Do you stay or commute around Nashik Phata or in Mumbai-Pune Old Highway? Then, you may don't have to suspect any sabotage in your society, rather, another major scam around it. You maybe interested to check my older thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ns/4651-how-deal-multiple-tyre-punctures.html. At least, you will get some relief that, you are not alone!

When I had my "first" incident, my tyres were just 7-8K on ODO. And, it didn't stop there, but was recurring to me, until I was in Pune. Every weekend, my job after cleaning the car is to search for nails in each tyre and I won't fail to find at least 1 or 2 in one of the tyres. I tried to work out all combinations to find the reason for such recurring punctures.
  • Is it something wrong with all MRF Tyres? Can't say, as it's not the case with all.
  • Is it something wrong with the tyres or the material in my car? Maybe. So it's less protective against such abuses.
  • Is it only in Pune? Can't say so as many don't have such complaints. But can't just ignore it as there were many such incidents reported as well. Even Times Mirror reported such incidents with pics of Nails Planted on the Roads by the Tyre Guys to make quick, cheap money. Moreover, the same set of tyres were running fine without any such punctures after I moved to Bangalore.
And, I just did some google, and here are the results.

So, that's the culprit?

BTW, a friend of mine in Chennai too have the same issue and fixes at least 1 puncture a week. The tyre here again is MRF!

Good choice. It won't survive such an abuse. Either a new tyre or add a tube and keep it as spare. However, the former is much preferred.
Hi Thanks for the information. But my punctures are rather strange. it is like someone has done it, the holes are like small pin holes. The strangest part is that there are holes also on the inside of the tyre!!! How can that be?

Top Bottom