Door Step Car Servicing as a Business

Thread Starter #1
Dear TAI members,
FIRST OF ALL SORRY FOR THIS LONG WRITE UP. I HAVE A LOT TO SHARE AND COULDN’T FIND A BETTER PLACE THAN TAI.
I would like to take your valuable advices regarding start up of a small scale business. Before I begin, I would like to inform that I have very less money to invest but I have lots of enthusiasm and dedication towards this work. I am planning about Door-to-Door vehicle servicing, cleaning and accessorizing. Earlier I was in an IT job, but I resigned due to some unavoidable circumstances. After my office hours I used to go to my friend’s garage where I learnt about automobiles. After resigning I spent all days there and earned a very small amount by accessorizing. Now my friend sold that piece of land and shifted to a distant place and now is in property business.

Also my mechanic friend (who worked at the garage) is ready to help me. He is working in another garage but is ready to go with me to the customer’s house when we get a call. Also I have a young boy (not kid) who is ready to work with me He will help me in car washing, detailing, and installation of accessories. I have talked to an accessory shop owner, he is ready to help me and lend me items to show to the customers. Also I have talked to a spares seller and he is ready to give me discounts (given to garage owners). Also if I register my business with MGP and other genuine product sellers then I’ll get a fixed discount on every purchase.

The following services can be provided at the customer’s place:
1) General Servicing: Rs 500-600 (consumables extra)
a. Engine oil change
b. Transmission Oil Change (if required)
c. Fuel Filter Inspect/Change (if required)
d. Air Filter Cleaning
e. Spark Plug Cleaning
f. Front brake pad(dust) cleaning and Brake inspection
g. Check/Top-up engine coolant
h. Basic electrical checkup
2) Full Service: Rs 700-800 (consumables extra)
a. All of general servicing
b. Thorough brakes inspection. Checking of master and slave cylinders and hydraulic lines. Checking/cleaning of brake pads, drums, discs and calipers
c. Alternator, AC, water pump belts inspection
d. Engine cooling system inspection
e. Engine mounting and rubbers inspection
f. Fuel lines inspection
g. Ignition timing adjustment(using timing light)
h. Battery test using hygrometer and voltmeter electrolyte top up if required
i. Clutch free play inspect/adjust
j. All door hinges, locks inspection and lubrication
k. Basic AC/Heater checkup

Consumables: Oils/fluids, Spark Plugs, Air/Fuel Filter, etc

3) Cleaning and detailing
a. Exterior cleaning in eco friendly ways using very less water and mild soap solution and using recycled cloths and tissues. Polishing using original Formula-1 polish for body and 3M polish for black bumpers and dashboard. Tyre polishing using 3M tyre polish. Rs 250
b. Dry cleaning of fabric seat covers, cleaning of Art leather and Leather seat covers RATES NOT DECIDED YET
c. Interior cleaning of roof lining, door pads, dashboard, center console, art leather seat cover (excluding fabric seat covers) Rs 2200-2500

4) Window roller Servicing
a. Lubrication and servicing of jammed window rollers. Adjusting window tilt etc Rs 600
b. Servicing of power windows by lubricating the gears, repairing the motor etc Rs 800

5) Steering servicing
a. Inspection and repair of Rack, tie rod, rack and pinion Rs 800-1500 (depending upon car model)

Various other accessories and spares would be available. Prices of accessories will be provided soon. Also I plan to sell custom made LED fog/driving lights and LED rear lights for all type of 2-4 wheelers.
Dear members, what do you think about this idea, will it be successful?? And what do you prefer servicing the car at home or at any garage or authorized service station.
And what do you think of the rates that I provided. Please give your valuable suggestions and comments. I am planning to start up the business from 29th of this month.

Shantanu this is a good direction to go if you feel the auto industry is your calling.Wish you all the best.

First off:The costs you need to fix them based on the distance from your place.You cannot charge this high right from the start.This is what drives a lot of people away.

Create a radius from your residence or garage and charge according to the distance.

Secondly:You have put as require for stuff like transmission fluid.How are you going to decide if its needed or not?Visual appearance is misleading.If you are not going to do an analysis on the oil and check how much more kms it can serve in the car refer to the when it was last changed or go by the owner manual.

If you provide service make sure people will call you back.If you can't do a job refuse it.Be outright faithful to your customer.Lets face it, he doesn't need you albeit you need him.

Again, all the best with your endeavors.

Happy to know that you are taking the big step and here are my views:

I think it would be good if you instead start a small garage/car washing centre/ detailing centre to start with instead of door step servicing.

I suggest you to skip all in detail mechanical/electrical kind of works on the field. Start with only car detailing and accessory, then try to upsell general servicing option to the same customer.

Nowadays I feel people dont like their car to be serviced outside their home mainly because their image gets affected, neighbours might think his/her car had some repairs so could not be driven to even the garage.

Carrying tools will be a issue, if you use your M800, the interiors get damaged pretty soon and then you will spend whatever you earn in fixing it. For even general service you will need minimum these tools -

1. Hydraulic Jack (bigger than the one I bought) - 1 No - approx. 2500/-
2. Axle stands - 2Nos (min) - 800/-
3. Wheel spanner (+ type) - 300/-
4. screw drivers - 2 nos
5. Cutting and nose plyers
6. Ring spanners - 1 set
7. Open spanners - 1 set
8. Socket wrench - 1 kit - 1900
9. T spanner - 10, 12, 14 sizes
10. Vaccuum cleaner - (wet & dry is a better choice) - 10000/- (Go for it)
11. a small compressor -
12. brushes to clean fot mat and tyres
13. Stock of consumables - Coolant, Engine oil, brake oil, Ac gas can, screws, nuts, bolts, rubber hoses etc.

You cant buy these as per order requirement, not every customer knows what needs to be done to his car, not all save their last service bill, you will end up doing multiple visits to the customer for silly issues they find, customers wont be as straight forward as you are.

The total money spent on fuel, mobile calls bill, tension, driving to & fro (risk factor) etc will not be worth it. A garage, is anyday more confidence inspiring for a customer than any doorstep DIY service (Nothing offensive meant here to anyone).

I dont want to demotivate you by typing what all could go wrong (as field work is more work less pay). I strongly suggest you to try opening a small garage instead of this idea.

Car interior cleaning, water wash is more likely to fetch good money and you will reach break even much sooner than the field method. Sometimes its worth taking an extra loan/effort to do something we always wished to.

Also target apartments, government colonies etc and have a tie up with local newspaper delivery guys so that they can insert a small pamplet about your garage in their newspaper everyday continously for a week. Choose cheap offset printer, 30 or 40 gsm paper bigger than A4 size to print the stuff.

I dont mind if you feel bad now after reading my post. This is anyday better than finding you in loss and giving advice which is of no use to you at that point of time. You are skilled enough to open a garage for general service and water wash etc.

You very well know, you are skilled, you know stuff, trust your inner instincts take a garage if possible or wait for the right time, plz do not start something that consumes time and money and doesn't give anything much in return. Take a garage and try for a few months with proper planning and if you see success continue, if not join back some job and try again after a few years.

All the best.

Great initiative Shantanu!

one suggestion buddy, why can't you target the same IT guys (or big companies, appartments)? As you were an ex-IT chap you know we are one bunch of lazy souls. During weekdays you could target big offices where you can have more than one customer at a single location and it saves your transport costs too! for e.g. my office in chennai holds 23K people and i know min 10% population use cars!

Weekdays/Offices -> vehicle is 99% idle and daily routine of your customers is never disturbed

Weekends/home -> if you wish to target door step it should be mostly weekend, perhaps probability of vehicle being idle is too less and daily routine of your customer is a bit disturbed by your service

my two cents. All the best!

Last edited:
Hi Shantanu,

A good initiative.. as SS80 suggested start off with the washing and detailing stuff.

Few points from my side -> As per my knowledge

* My / our knowledge is limited to small cars (800, omni, alto etc), there are many modern cars in the market.
* The electronic issues which needs special tools to rectify the issues.
* Almost all new car owners (including cabs) don't prefer service centers other than the authorized ones.
* When doing service at door step people start acting crazy by getting all unwanted tasks done and you would not be paid for what you have done.
* In many cases you would require a helper with you, which again needs more money.
* There are lots of special tools which you require now days, which will again shoot up the budget.

Final verdict, you keep working hard without proper remuneration for days, months together.

I would suggest you to start off with detailing stuff. Or better try to get into MASS or a 3m outlet etc in this way your passion towards cars are saved also you could get a proper money with out any hassle.

Sorry if you were hurt by the above, I was in the same situation but could not do any thing better than doing stuff on my own car where no one could come back and question about any thing done. I feel happy for that.

My experiences - Please don't try any DIY's on others car unless you are sure and tried it earlier. I have landed in trouble couple of times when tried some thing on the other cars.
I have decided not to do any DIY's expect on my car's.

It is a good business but I do not know the potential in your city. Had it been in Bangalore it would surely be a success. Also you need a van (e.g. OMNI/EECO) with all accessories.

MASS/HASS/TASS already have their mobile service vans.

Thats a new Idea you have come up with.

Trust me, Finding a good car mechanic is tougher than finding a good life partner or a doctor.

I have been searching for a good mechanic who is proficient at his work since 1.5 years. I never found one. I ended up getting serviced my car at RNS. People love their car. People like me, never like to leave the car somewhere else and go back.

The only reason I stick on to RNS Motors for servicing is, I don't want my parts to be stolen.
I feel they are trustworthy compared to road side garages. But on other hand, If I ever find a mechanic, Who would be loyal to his work and do the job honestly I am more than happy to deal with them.

There are advantages with door step servicing :

1. You can only do door step servicing so that you need not have to invest big time on garages. You can have a small garage or office and run your business

2. Customer would stand right infront of the vehicle when a mechanic is working on it. He will have confidence that the vehicle would be safe.

3. You can work on appointment basis. Hire few mechanics who are good at their work and start with small things.

4. Gain trust, customers would definitely come back to you.

Disadvantages :

Its tough to gain trust. Especially with local mechanics, People often think / Presume there are not trustworthy.

Like ss80 mentioned you might find it difficult to carry the spares, tools around.

You need to hire more and more mechanics as one person can only work on one vehicle at a time.

However, This is not a bad idea. Don't invest big time. Start slowly, Once you make profit start growing your business. [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #8
Dear All,
Thanks for your replies and motivation. After summarizing your answer I find that its better to establish a garage instead of door to door work. But the bitter fact is that I have very less money to invest and my parents also don't want me to do this work. To rent a place for garage I have to give at least 50k as deposit money which I don't have [cry]. By reading this you may be thinking that I am mad that I want to start a business without money.

Today I met few mechanics to know more about this sector. They all said the same line "Gaadi ke kaam me koi paisa aur izzat nahi hai sahab koi naukri pakad lo" THERE IS NO MONEY AND RESPECT IN MECHANIC WORK, GET SOME GOOD JOB
Its a true fact that mechanics are respected only by car lovers not by car owners. Also people will not like my eco friendly washing, they are satisfied only by pressure wash. People here just wash the car that too themselves or at garages with pressure washer. Here cars are considered as a machine to travel from point A to B
The people who spend good money on their cars go to *ASSes or good workshops.

While I was writing this post two of my friends who had gone for a public survey about cars of my area came with this report
70% of petrol cars have some reputed *ASS sticker on them
Most of the Maruti Suzuki diesel cars have MASS stickers
The people who replied to the survey prefer to take their cars to a reputed garage only. But if we charge less then they may call us.
85% of the people will call us only on Saturday/Sunday or when they are present at home Which means sitting idle on weekdays [frustration] If I had a garage they could leave the car and go to their work places.

I was willing to get in to this business from long time but Finally and Sadly I have decided not to go for this business as this will consume lots of time and money and give no profit. I'll continue selling accessories via OLX and try to get a proper job or do some IT business which will fetch some profit. Also I'll continue helping stranded motorists and any car lover who would like to take my help.

It is a wise decision you have taken Shantanu, I am sure those days would come when you will own a proper full size Service Center and accessories shop. Pause the idea but dont EVER give up, not all successful people started rich.

Hey Shantanu,

What about now? Are you still having that idea of yours and when are you planning to do it.
I line in Delhi with almost same background as yours [clap] and want to start the same door-step business. Need your views and advice ? [confused]

Also I would like to have advice from other members as well as it has been about 1.5 years since you discussed above business. I need to know your take on it now? Do you still door-step service is still a hassles and less profitable?

As I see, time have drastically changed in automobile domain and door-step services ventures are increasingly coming up. Please share your opinion. [:D]

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across these guys called "driveahead" in Bangalore, which is an app based service and they are doing good. A normal foam wash and clean is just 300 for a hatchback . They do take extra care than the normal car wash guys and service centers.
Would recommend their app based technology.

Top Bottom