Correct Position Of Holding Steering Wheel?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I would like to highlight an important point here which may be useful for everyone. While usually it is recommended to hold the steering wheel at 10 and 2 Position but in cars equipped with airbag - 9 and 3 is the best position. This is because is the airbag deploys during an accident, it throws out the center cap of steering toward the side which most likely can injure the hand.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@350Z- What does this 10 2 and 9 3 mean?
This is telling on which position your hand should be on steering (compare with clock)

I found this interesting -

10 and 2 O'Clock Are Not The Best Positions For The Driver's Hands
The belief that 10 and 2 are the correct hand positions are a long-standing and widely-believed myth still taught today. Truth is, however, that while 10 and 2 are certainly better than many hand positions in use -- such as both hands gripping the wheel at the top or single hand grips -- it is still not the best.

The correct hand positions are 9 and 3 O'clock -- which is the exact left and right side of the steering wheel. Using this hand position will make you a better, smoother and safer driver. When you keep your hands at 9 and 3, you always know exactly in which direction your tires are pointing. While this may sound basic, it is very important to increasing accurate car placement on the road. This is critical in a race car and no less important in a passenger vehicle.

When your hands are at 9 and 3, steering inputs are more accurate. In other words, the information you feed the car through the steering wheel is more accurate than at any other position -- what you think you are doing is closer to what the car will do. When your hands are away from this position, e.g. at the top of the steering wheel, you have a tendency to "lob" the steering wheel sharply in one direction or the other as you turn a corner. This lack of smooth delivery has to do with the weight and momentum of your hands when you move them. At 9 and 3, you are able to move the steering wheel more smoothly or "arc" the steering through a corner helping keep the car balanced and making you a smoother driver. (Your passengers will be impressed!) When you keep your hands at 9 and 3, emergency response is faster should it arise. For example, if you were driving on the highway with one arm out the window and the other flopped over the bottom of the wheel and a deer ran out onto the road in front of you, you would have to react quickly. But you're hands have to move the entire distance from the window and the bottom of the steering wheel to the sides, or top to enable you to actively steer the car. By the time you get your hands in position, it will be too late to steer away from the problem.

With hands at 9 and 3, better control of the vehicle is much more likely. Again, consider the deer scenario. You were able to swerve and miss it. But there are other challenges to deal with. First, if you're not at 9 and 3 you've probably "lobbed" the steering wheel, sharply unbalancing the car. This can lead the car into either a spin, crash or an off-road excursion. With hands at 9 and 3, you would have been able to "arc" -- move the wheel smoothly -- directing the car away from the deer. This would have increased your chances of eliminating the spin completely, or enabling a correction, preventing the spin.

As a driving instructor and race car driver, I drive with my hands at 9 and 3 regardless of whether I'm racing or driving on the street. If I'm on a long drive or on a straight stretch of road, I don't necessarily keep both hands on the wheel all the time, but I do keep at least one hand on the 9 or 3 position at all times.

Source - Techniques for Safer Driving

This is why i love Punto's steering. Check the steering - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/28960-post99.html.[thumbsup]

Hmmmm interesting thread!! Great info there RSM and your car's steering wheel seems to be perfectly suited for 9 3 position!!

But how many of you guys actually follow this?? I always have only one hand on the steering wheel and other hand in the gear lever!! I find this easy in city conditions where gear shifts are too much!!

But one thing i just noticed after seeing this thread , in Safari my one hand position will be 9 3 only but in my Verna i hold the steering wheel only at the bottom right part though this is not good i feel comfortable while driving in this position only!!

In highways also i hold the wheel only in one hand but my hand position will be only 9 3 in both the cars!!

Last edited:
I have the same question what cooldhaya has asked. How many of you really practice these? I was taught to hold in 10-2 position. But most of the time, only my right hand will be on steering.

But how many of you guys actually follow this?? I always have only one hand on the steering wheel and other hand in the gear lever!! I find this easy in city conditions where gear shifts are too much!!

In highways also i hold the wheel only in one hand but my hand position will be only 9 3 in both the cars!!
Even i have similar habit of resting my hand on gear lever while driving in city. Otherwise i do have my hands in 9 3 position.

The 10/2 and the 9/3 positions are always a reason for heated debates.
Each has its proponents.
Me, I tend to drive with one hand on the gear shift, since I love to work the gearbox. As a result, my right hand is somewhere between 1 and 2.
Does not work on a car without power steering though.
Which leads me to wonder ... 10/2 and 9/3 talks started even before P/S was very common. So does the fact that P/S is so common now mean that there are other better positions??

The correct postion is 9-3, but it boils down to what is comfortable to you. In city trafiic, one hand has to be on gear lever, you can't avoid that. But on highways or places where you don't need to change gear frequently, 9-3 is advisable.
I follow above and don't feel uncomfortable.

As raj say , grip it at your comfy position.

Ford steering has a twist in 10 2 position!

In city i grip with right hand and left hand is loosely on wheel or gear knob.

In the car that i have driven say marina , indica , innova , and in this lancer etc all have 4 spoke and i am comfortable with the right bottom one.

in 3 spoke like vista and base innova i hold the bottom most in high way.

In 2 spoke like in alto i hold the right one.

So in brief - i normally hold the joining part(right side). Hope you got me guys.

And my hand do not remain in a position ! so i drive like a clock!

At the end of the day, you should be able to control the car without having to think about the manuovre, unless the situation demands so.
I still remember, the driving school guy asking me to adapt 7 - 1 position. :-)

But now, I do tend to follow either 10-2 or 9-3.

For my Figo, 9 - 3 is the better option since the horn is tight (as the steering accomodates airbags) and hence to get the horn to do what it is supposed to do, we need to press it at the edges. The edge are on the 9-3 axis.

Beside, I like the 9-3 position, kind of gives a sports car feel. :-). Of course, it does not reflect in anyway on the speed of my car.[;)]

Re: Correct Position to Hold Steering Wheel?

After a long time i am reviving this thread
People driving with only one hand on steering wheel and other on the gear lever, isn't that risky? it's the same like people who smoke during driving.

The correct position to hold the steering wheel IMO is the position where both your hands don't get locked up during maneuvering .

Top Bottom