Downshifting To 2nd or 1st Gear in Low Speed

Thread Starter #1
I am new to driving & I have a problem while driving in a very low speed. The problem is that when I am driving very slowly in the city traffic where the vehicles move in a crawling speed, I will be in a confusion if I can move in 2nd gear or 1st. If I keep on moving in 2nd gear, sometimes it happens so that I car will stop with a sudden jerk. If I shift to 1st gear, sometimes even then also I get a sudden jerk, but the car moves on. I need an expert advise on this as to how to achieve smooth movement. The car I use is Swift VDI (diesel variant).

In bumper to bumper traffic its better to drive in first gear,I can't figure out why you are getting jerk in first gear.If you release the clutch slowly there is no need to get a jerk.

i haven't driven a swift. but these points may help you.

method 1: use the torque of your car. if you are in first gear and you move from a standstill, without pressing the accelerator release the clutch your car will move but you need to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front. again whenever the traffic comes to stand still press the clutch and apply brakes. this is one way to avoid jerky first gear movements in traffic

method 2: keeping the car at second gear when you stop. this needs some practicing. you should be able to move the car in second gear and again start in second gear from standstill

You have swift VDi right,and there is a tachometer present inside it,just try to maintain 1.5/1.8k rpm max on 1st and 2nd gear.

Let the car crawl on its own,no accelerator inputs required during 1st gear,but when you require second little Acc and push to 2nd gear.

Another thing when in momentum try to keep 2nd gear as far as possible,the car will crawl,no need to push to 1st gear.
When you loose momentum 2nd gear.

that is.:
little momentum:2nd gear
Stalled /No momentum:1st gear

Ensure that accelerator inputs should be less.

I am new to driving & I have a problem while driving in a very low speed. The problem is that when I am driving very slowly in the city traffic where the vehicles move in a crawling speed, I will be in a confusion if I can move in 2nd gear or 1st. If I keep on moving in 2nd gear, sometimes it happens so that I car will stop with a sudden jerk. If I shift to 1st gear, sometimes even then also I get a sudden jerk, but the car moves on. I need an expert advise on this as to how to achieve smooth movement. The car I use is Swift VDI (diesel variant).
Since you are driving a diesel, try to use the torque of the engine.

Diesel engines have a very short first gear, so do not shift to first until the car the stationary, else you will get the jerk you mentioned.

When the car is very very slow, cautiously and slowly lift the clutch in second gear till the car starts moving and picks up speed. There is no need to use the throttle at all, but if you are on a steep incline or if the car is struggling to move forward, give a little bit of throttle.

Top Bottom