Tata Nano and AMC

Thread Starter #1
Has anyone done a study on when is the best time to buy the AMC for Tata Nano (or for that matter any Tata vehicle)? It has only been a few weeks since I bought my Nano, and the sales guy called me a couple of times asking if I want to buy AMC. Apparently, if I buy it with in certain time, the credit goes to him as part of the new car sale. I actually have two questions in my mind:

- Is the cost of AMC really less than paying for the oil and replacement parts? AMC is valid for 3 years, which means 3 services during that time (am I correct?). You don't have to pay anything for the first service anyway, so expect to pay only for the next two services. Considering I payed about Rs.1700 for my 2nd service of Figo Diesel, I am expecting a similar or even less charge for Nano. In fact, according to this link: Tata Nano Service and Maintenance Cost | CarDekho.com the cost for the 2nd and 3rd services together is less than Rs.2000, so AMC is not really designed to be outright bargain, but to give a peace of mind.

- What is the best time to buy the AMC? Since the first service is completely free anyway, isn't it better to buy it right before going for the 2nd service? Won't the 3yr coverage go a longer way then (i.e., cover the 2nd, 3rd and 4th services)? Since the 4th service is about Rs.2000 (again per the above link), it really becomes a bargain then. Are there any gotchas to be aware of?

There are many threads on the internet in which folks mentioned AMC as a good bargain, but none of those included the leg work in coming to that conclusion, so I am hoping I could get some convincing answers here. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hey buddy.

I own a 2012 Nano, bought in end of 2011, so its been 2 years.
Here's a break up of what I paid during the 1st 3 FREE Services (without AMC)

Yes - AMC is valid for 3 years. Reason I did not bought was actually a gamble.
1st service - 600 Rs Approx
2nd Service - 950 Rs Approx
3rd Service - 2300 Rs Approx

And you are absolutely correct in saying that AMC gives peace of mind, may be a few added benefits, like free labour etc.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks silverlxnano, much appreciate for remembering the actual charges and letting us know. So, in your case, AMC would have broken even. Assuming the 4th service will also be about 2300, won't it be reasonable to think one would be able to save Rs.5500 (950+2300+2300) if one can buy it right before the 2nd service instead of at the beginning?

You can buy AMC before the 2nd servicing. Thats what I was advised by my service advisor. It gives you peace of mind to run your Nano during the AMC period. If anything needs to be changed which is not covered under warranty, AMC covers it mostly. I too will opt for Gold AMC before the second servicing.

Top Bottom