Future Automotive Technologies

Thread Starter #1
Guys, I created this thread so as to throw up all your automotive ideas so that we can try to innovate and create new technologies.

I need your ideas and suggestions to help me out with my project.Thanking you in advance.

1.Do well really need a on/off control for airbags in our rides?

2.How much would an automatic window be helpful in our country?

3.Would a touchscreen console be the future in automotive switch operations and would replace the manual switches?

4.We all ride with our AC on and windows closed so how much would the window rolling up when the AC being switched on be useful?

5.Do you want to enable a tracker in your car ?

6.Is there any safety feature/other electronic features that you would like to see in the Near future?

@mods: please move the thread to suitable section if it is inappropriate.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hey pradeep.
that's a great thread.

I want occupancy sensors on each seats. this Means that if a particlar seat is empty, it's air bags, speakers, video screen, and AC shall be turned off.

of course you want a button to adjust if you want to turn off these things or not!

other thing ID like is front camera with night vision capability. and the display of camera could be brought to each seat just like some planes have outside view.

Thread Starter #3
Hey bhvm , thanks for your inputs. As far as the occupant sensor is concerned it can be easily done but the speakers when off on a particular side would ruin the audio quality right?. So let's ignore the speakers and concentrate on airbags , it's switch and display at the touchscreen. There is a small doubt in this anyway what if a suitcase/trolley is placed on the seat, then the sensors will read out wrong values right.

bhvm

Honoured Member
yes, but wouldn't it be dumb to place bags on seat?

anyways what I've seen in expensive cars that occupancy sensors are actually weight sensors.

airbags are not safe for kids. so if a weight less than 30kg is detected, airbags are still off.

we can go a step further and allow these weight sensors tied to the suspension of the car. so handling can be made safer taking into account weight distribution of occupants.

6.Is there any safety feature/other electronic features that you would like to see in the Near future?
Hi pradeep_wheelz, let me add the following system.

Pre-Crash Safety System.

This feature is really useful in such cases. The system functions using an Obstacle Detecting Radar/Sensor mounted on the front grill. Check the picture for details. The system signals to Pre-Crash brake assist, and tension on pre-crash seat-belts. Schematic diagram explains. This is useful on events when the driver get panic, and freeze on accident related events, thus forgetting the vehicle ahead.

p25_3.JPG

More details here.

Thread Starter #6
That's a cool idea! Yes some dumb people still place bags on the seats. We can improve the technology by adding a obstacle sensor and matched with the weight sensor to improve accuracy.
I also have an idea of making automatic opening of windows as soon as the airbags are deployed so as to reduce the happening of glass pieces shattering in case of collision and can aid in effective breathing space of the person.
@Mathew Is it like more of a prepare for crash system right? But yeah it will save lives in case of emergency but it has the effect on seat belts alone?

Last edited:
In the near future the government should make these options mandatory in all cars - Rear defogger, rear wiper and ABS.

Cars should get back the All wheel independent suspension (old Honda City, Esteem, Lancer etc had them), the Mcpherson strut should be replaced with Double wishbone setup even in small cars, dump all pre-2008 (more than 5yrs old) models and provide better (stronger) cabins. Most small cars in our country cant take a T-bone from another car, so designs like Alto, K10, Omni, Spark, Eon, Santro etc should be discontinued.

Also a better material for floor carpet instead of the existing OEM ones which absorb dust and cleaning is costly and messy.

yes, but wouldn't it be dumb to place bags on seat?

anyways what I've seen in expensive cars that occupancy sensors are actually weight sensors.

airbags are not safe for kids. so if a weight less than 30kg is detected, airbags are still off.

we can go a step further and allow these weight sensors tied to the suspension of the car. so handling can be made safer taking into account weight distribution of occupants.
I have the passenger sensor in my Camry as we'll is odyssey. The minimum weight is not 30 kg as specified. I think it should be around 15-20 pounds. I am able to tell this as sometimes the seat belt warming goes on when I leave my bag in the passenger seat. Until the seat belt is fastened, the airbags are off.

My response below:

I believe most of the present day cars carry OCS (occupant classification sensors) beneath the seats to classify whether an adult is present based on which the Airbags deploy.

Automatic window for what? Please come up with a use case.

3.Would a touchscreen console be the future in automotive switch operations and would replace the manual switches?

Yes definitely, the future of Automotive Infotainment systems will have intuitive HMI screens so you could see most of the hard switches getting replaced by touch.

4.We all ride with our AC on and windows closed so how much would the window rolling up when the AC being switched on be useful?

Well this is a good idea but what happens if someone tries to open the window?

Again scenario not clear, are you trying to project the Diagnostics?

a. Well plenty, firstly let us take Infotainment - Most of the CE (Consumer Electronics) trends are fastly getting mapped to Automotive Infotainment systems. MirrorLink - pairing of your smartphone to the system which allows easy content sharing will be next big trend

b. Connected Cars which allows car-to-car communication and car-to-infrastructure communication

c. Offboard Navigation systems replacing onboard navigation which is an extension to Connected cars which allows to give route guidance based on real time traffic conditions

d. Remote Vehicle Diagnostics - Through Mobile apps user will be able to adjust the settings of the car

e. More emphasis to safeguard pedestrians getting killed during accidents - Volvo has already come up with a special airbag which gets deployed from the front bonnet to cushion if it hits a pedestrian from the front

f. Drowsy driver detection

bhvm

Honoured Member
I have the passenger sensor in my Camry as we'll is odyssey. The minimum weight is not 30 kg as specified. I think it should be around 15-20 pounds. I am able to tell this as sometimes the seat belt warming goes on when I leave my bag in the passenger seat. Until the seat belt is fastened, the airbags are off.
Thats too low then. I have read that Children actually get hurt due to air bags, so they should be off.

In the near future the government should make these options mandatory in all cars - Rear defogger, rear wiper and ABS.

Cars should get back the All wheel independent suspension (old Honda City, Esteem, Lancer etc had them), the Mcpherson strut should be replaced with Double wishbone setup even in small cars, dump all pre-2008 (more than 5yrs old) models and provide better (stronger) cabins. Most small cars in our country cant take a T-bone from another car, so designs like Alto, K10, Omni, Spark, Eon, Santro etc should be discontinued.

Also a better material for floor carpet instead of the existing OEM ones which absorb dust and cleaning is costly and messy.
I'll hate to see the goverment getting more involved. They always mess up bad. Lets say Goverment makes ABS complusary... A Manufacturer invents ABS V2 and would like to impliment it, but Goverment won't allow it as its Spec sheet says ABS only. I have read that Audi ALL LED Fulltime High beams are Banned in USA because it does not FIT in Gov spec sheets.
FOOLISH.
For the carpet, I got Pseudo Leather Carpetting done on my XUV 500 for a cost of 4.4k. You can just wipe it with damp cloth. Also provides Minor heat and noise insulation. Would like such options as default

That's a cool idea! Yes some dumb people still place bags on the seats. We can improve the technology by adding a obstacle sensor and matched with the weight sensor to improve accuracy.
I also have an idea of making automatic opening of windows as soon as the airbags are deployed so as to reduce the happening of glass pieces shattering in case of collision and can aid in effective breathing space of the person.
@Mathew Is it like more of a prepare for crash system right? But yeah it will save lives in case of emergency but it has the effect on seat belts alone?
Opening window? Wont the window be acutally closed? Acutually open windows can cause people to fly off outsisde the car or can bring sharpnel and shards hitting peope.

Pre-crash system do a few things-
Better brake response
Seat belt tensioning
Unlocks Doors
Switches on Hazard lamps
Some like ford ecosport makes a call to 911.

My response below:

I believe most of the present day cars carry OCS (occupant classification sensors) beneath the seats to classify whether an adult is present based on which the Airbags deploy.

Automatic window for what? Please come up with a use case.

Yes definitely, the future of Automotive Infotainment systems will have intuitive HMI screens so you could see most of the hard switches getting replaced by touch.

Well this is a good idea but what happens if someone tries to open the window?

Again scenario not clear, are you trying to project the Diagnostics?

a. Well plenty, firstly let us take Infotainment - Most of the CE (Consumer Electronics) trends are fastly getting mapped to Automotive Infotainment systems. MirrorLink - pairing of your smartphone to the system which allows easy content sharing will be next big trend

b. Connected Cars which allows car-to-car communication and car-to-infrastructure communication

c. Offboard Navigation systems replacing onboard navigation which is an extension to Connected cars which allows to give route guidance based on real time traffic conditions

d. Remote Vehicle Diagnostics - Through Mobile apps user will be able to adjust the settings of the car

e. More emphasis to safeguard pedestrians getting killed during accidents - Volvo has already come up with a special airbag which gets deployed from the front bonnet to cushion if it hits a pedestrian from the front

f. Drowsy driver detection
I think He means that any open window shall roll up as AC switch is activated. of course the owner can do manual override.
And for tracker he means A GPS tracker for finding stolen vehicle?
The mobile related Apps are already available on XUV500

Clearance Sonar (front + rear)

The clearance sonar (front, and rear ) must be factory fitted. This should be introduced as a standard feature. Front sonar also a mandatory. The front sonars are mandatory for SUVs, having elevated bonnet, with bonnet scoop. The picture shows the built-in feature of a Toyota Fortuner. It got front sonars. The graphical interface on dash indicates three set of lines, as a visual indication of objects.

p21.JPG

bhvm

Honoured Member
absolutely!
I always feel the need when navigating my fortuner in tight traffic. but are these features coming in Indian version?
other than a sonar, I feel a front camera of very high resolution could help in bumper to bumper traffic, as the large hood makes it difficult. the camera could have night vision facility as well.

absolutely!
I always feel the need when navigating my fortuner in tight traffic. but are these features coming in Indian version?
other than a sonar, I feel a front camera of very high resolution could help in bumper to bumper traffic, as the large hood makes it difficult. the camera could have night vision facility as well.
Toyota Fortuner (Made in Japan) is already having this feature. The graphical indication is exactly as the previous picture. Indian edition is lacking this feature. The front camera with night vision is available in high end models of Toyota.

Safety feature - i can think of one! "automatic fire extinguisher" in vehicles (not sure if it exists already).

in car, this can prevent fire especially in engine bay and cabin
in buses/train, this can mitigate fire accidents and reduce casualties

Top Bottom