Accidentally Driving in 4WD on a Dry Road / Highway

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I recently acquired my first 4WD (Thar) and guess what..out of ignorance, I drove it on a highway on 4WD for about 50 kms, with couple of mild bends.

I am a bit anxious now as I came to know later that driving a vehicle on 4WD on a dry road is to be strictly avoided.

Therefore, I would like to know if any other forum member had similar experience. And, what should I need to check to be sure that no damage has been done to the vehicle's transmission system.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Gyp2Thr, Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com,

It would be better you take the vehicle to the service center and check with them, they will definitely have a solution for this.

I read in many websites that the 4WD shouldn't be driven longer in flat roads, thar being a current generation, not much of harm would happen.

Also, while you show them (service people) and tell the issue, just be cool and don't be tensed and do not show them that you are worried (They will take chances to raise for uncalled bills).

BTW are you into off-roading?

Thread Starter #3
Hello Gyp2Thr, Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com,

Thar being a current generation, not much of harm would happen. ....
BTW are you into off-roading?
Hi Vishwas,

Thanks for your reply.

I am getting similar inputs from other people that since the driving distance was short (that too mostly on straight road), nothing to worry ..at the most some impact on tires and fuel economy.

Nevertheless , i will take it to the service station. Since, it is under warranty so it should not be an issue.

I am not specifically in to off-roading , however by default I encounter such terrain during my travels in the region I travel to frequently

I too once drove my bolero 4x4 for over 100 kms in 4x4 mode, that too right from the show room to my home on the day the vehicle was delivered. nothing happened.

Top Bottom