Tips For Water Wading: Driving Through Flooded Roads

Thread Starter #1
Tips for driving through water on roads:

Water wading in a car, should be best avoided, IMHO. I very well know it is not practical at all in our country where roads turn to off-road tracks especially during rains.

I drive a Scorpio and I live in Kerala which is blessed with torrential seasonal rains where vehicles on roads struggling to wade through the water is a common sight.

Though I am aware of the added advantage of Scorpio's higher GC and Water wading depth, I hardly take him through waters except for emergency.Though exciting at times, the least thing you want is water getting sucked up through the air intake or entering the engine through the exhaust.

Mahindra-Great-Escape-Panvel.jpg

P.S:Picture for illustrative purposes only

Over the years, many attempts have been made to waterproof wheeled vehicles and most failed miserably. Yes, the British army has some form of "waterproof" Air Portable Land-Rover but apart from some magazine pictures, we never got any real account of how much water got into the axles and gearbox. Making an ignition system waterproof is no big deal, they have done that with a Jeep in W.W.II, but that was a throwaway vehicle.
An excellent read on the tips while playing in the water for recreational purpose and also during emergency. [Link]

Do NOT go play in the water with 1 vehicle alone, having a backup to pull you out is always nice :tongue:

I did spend some time researching on the maximum Water Wading Depths of some popular vehicles in India:

Ford Ecosport: 550 mm

Mahindra Scorpio: 350 mm

Mahindra XUV 5OO: 350 mm

Tata Safari storme: 300 mm

Tata safari dicor:350 mm

Tata Xenon: 400 mm

Toyota Fortuner: 700 mm

Pajero Sport: 700 mm

Duster: 350 mm

Ssangyong Rexton: 450 mm

Force Gurkha: 550mm

Toyota LC Prado: 700 mm

Land Rover Discovery:700 mm

Range Rover Evoque: 500 mm

Range Rover Sport: 700 mm

Audi Q5: 500 mm

Knowing Ground Clearance of your vehicle too is a useful info here.

Ford Ecosport: 200 mm

Mahindra Scorpio: 180 mm

Mahindra XUV 5OO: 160 mm

Tata Safari storme: 200 mm

Tata safari dicor:205 mm

Tata Xenon: 200 mm

Toyota Fortuner: 220 mm

Pajero Sport: 215 mm

Duster: 205 mm

Ssangyong Rexton: 200 mm

Force Gurkha: 210 mm

Toyota LC Prado: 220 mm

Land Rover Discovery: 310 mm

Range Rover Evoque: 215 mm

Audi Q5: 200mm

Water should be avoided if avoidable.
  1. If not avoidable, what all the precautions should one take in order to avoid damages to the electricals and mechanicals of your vehicle?
  2. Can all vehicles can be driven up to and bit above ground clearance provided?

Though I am not a technical person, let me list a few to start with.

• beware of your vehicle's maximum wading depth
  • Select a gear which reduces the chances of stalling
  • Keep moving and don't let the engine stop
  • go as slow as possible, spray looks good only in pictures.
Please do share here more info and experience in line with the title of the thread.

Cheers.[:)]

What is surprising is the the ecosport's water wading depth :550mm
and almost all toyotas have their water wading @ 700mm.

the biggest shocker seems the storme depth for 300mm.

@ manoj care to explain how they were calculated?

Thread Starter #4
@ manoj care to explain how they were calculated?
I am not an expert to comment here.
IMHO,It depends on the type and design of the vehicle. Maximum wading depth (unless fitted with a snorkel) should be as high as the lowest air intake, breather or engine. Experts, please shed some light.

Regarding the wading depth of Ecosport, this is what Ford has to say :biggrin:[roll]
ES GC.jpg

the biggest shocker seems the storme depth for 300mm.
This link confirms the water wading depth of storme to be 300 mm. But this is what a Tata safari could do and I doubt the same can be repeated in an Ecosport even with its 550 mm. So its not just those numbers alone, but a combination of many.

As much as we couldn’t wait to put the Safari to the swimming test, we were cautious since getting stuck in the middle of the course means we can’t even get out of the vehicle until the help arrives
The recipe was actually pretty simple but there was absolutely no room for error. Engage the four wheel drive low (4L) mode, approach the pond gingerly and keep the throttle steady as if your right foot is a statue. As the bonnet slowly goes out of the sight, pray that your throttle foot doesn’t itch or twitch
Tata safari.jpg

The adrenal glands started their work. After few more moments of holding the breath and resisting the temptation of steering towards the nearest piece of land, the nose of the Safari started reappearing and seconds later, we were out of the pond with a wide grin.
source: link

Last edited:
I have two small questions:
1) What factors decide this 'safe' water wading capacity of a car? Because I believe that I have waded upto or maybe over 500mm water once in my Corolla!!
2) What difference can a snorkel make in water wading capability of a car?

Thread Starter #6
I have two small questions:
Vipul, you asking questions here? I thought the expert in you should be enlightening us with detailed answers and explanations instead.[:)]

1) What factors decide this 'safe' water wading capacity of a car? Because I believe that I have waded upto or maybe over 500mm water once in my Corolla!!
Range from the position of the lowest part associated with air intake to various subjective factors including even the driving skills of the person behind the wheel,IMHO.

2) What difference can a snorkel make in water wading capability of a car?
A snorkel could help prevent water entering into the engine by raising the air intake level.You certainly don't want your engine to suck water instead of air, while crossing a river kind of scenario. I don't think one needs to fit a snorkel on cars meant to be driven on roads, though we may have to negotiate waterlogged areas at times.

Thread Starter #7
  • Treat any waterlogged section on roads with respect, especially when we don’t know what’s lurking underneath it.
  • In unavoidable conditions, keep the gas pedal pressed at all times and continue driving slowly, maintaining a constant speed.
  • Do not drive fast
  • Don't enter with a splash which may cause the electrical to get wet.
  • Avoid changing gear as this may cause water to enter the clutch housing.
  • If you are forced to regulate your speed, do so with the clutch without taking your foot from the accelerator, otherwise the water in your exhaust could stall the engine
  • After coming out of water, depress the clutch and rev the engine to force out water, if any, out of the tail pipe
  • Pump the brakes to force water out and dry the brakes.

Last edited:
Vipul, you asking questions here? I thought the expert in you should be enlightening us with detailed answers and explanations instead.[:)]
Actually water wading is something I always have a couple of doubts about. Now see there can be various sensors, chips etc which can get damaged by the water. Is ECU water protected in every car? I am not sure if it is.
Or say the fuse box can be a vulnerable link(if its not waterproof), then battery terminals can get shorted cutting off the supply in water. I mean I have a lot of questions about water wading which are really unanswered.

On paper Ford Ecosport has got a water wading capacity of 550 mm, but in the real world driving conditions. The front wheel driven car is having a very big disadvantage as compared to its 4X4 siblings with a wading capacity of even 300-350mm. What disadvantage? Well, lesser traction as compared to the 4X4's. Traction is what is a must need while going over waterlogged surfaces as one never knows when your speed can cause aquaplaning or when your driving wheels may go out of traction due to sudden power input. Hence not only water wading capacity is important, but traction is also equally important for water wading. BTW, I thing I have done upto 600 mm of water wading on my P220 too :stupid:

• Treat any waterlogged section on roads with respect, especially when we don’t know what’s lurking underneath it.

• Being very very slow is the key when you are unaware of the road which is water logged. Who knows where lies an open sewer or a pit deep enough to engulf even your whole car. If you are very slow, then at least the damages will be the least. But, being slow doesn't mean that one should be so slow that the car gets stalled.

[*]In unavoidable conditions, keep the gas pedal pressed at all times and continue driving slowly, maintaining a constant speed.
    Exactly, if gas paddle is pressed then there are no chances of water reaching your engine via exhaust. while being slow with constant speed is important for maintaining enough traction to kep the vehicle moving in the desired direction.

[*]Do not drive fast
    Rightly said, being fast will cause grip losses and in worst cases 'aquaplaning'.

[*]Don't enter with a splash which may cause the electrical to get wet.
    This is where my confusion lies.

[*]Avoid changing gear as this may cause water to enter the clutch housing.
    There is one more reason, depressing the clutch means the car will come to a halt in no time and that also surrounded with water. Better do it all in first gear itself with a firm foot.

[*]If you are forced to regulate your speed, do so with the clutch without taking your foot from the accelerator, otherwise the water in your exhaust could stall the engine
    Rightly said, engine braking also helps in the water is not hitting your grille at least.

[*]After coming out of water, depress the clutch and rev the engine to force out water, if any, out of the tail pipe

[*]Pump the brakes to force water out and dry the brakes.
Never tried these two..

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Chevrolet Spark Modification & Accessories

This was the first water crossing, others were much deeper and challenging to cross with a lmv , you can see the other videos from the same youtube channel you will surely like them

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga: Petrol vs Diesel

@kkn13 Can you explain why hydro lock happens and 1st gear acceleration to prevent stalling can prevent it to an extent.......

-suryaputhra

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ertiga: Petrol vs Diesel

@kkn13 Can you explain why hydro lock happens and 1st gear acceleration to prevent stalling can prevent it to an extent.......

-suryaputhra
Basic physics, if you keep revs high and consistent, water entry may be prevented depending on level.................
Hydrolocks arent just related to Air Intake, Higher chances of Silencer related......
if you stall-
1. Water will enter silencer and possibly air intake
2. Upon cranking in such a scenario, water will in fact enter further and mat ruin the engine entirely

Most hydrolocks are more likely to occur via silencer than air intake....

If you dont rev and try to shift gears, you are essentially more susceptible to water entering your engine bay

Threads for proof- (Sorry for external links if not allowed)
http://www.********.com/threads/hydrolock-on-new-punto-1-5-lakh-engine-expense.13268/
https://www.********.com/threads/punto-submerged-in-water-what-mess-i-am-in.10863/
how does this prevent hydrolock? - Acura TSX Forum

PS- 1st Gen Amaze had a design flaw that was immediately rectified(just googled)
Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking - Team-BHP

Also this is the wrong thread for this discussion

Top Bottom