Should PDI Be Done Before Or After Registration?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I have booked FORD FIGO TITANIUM 1.4 Diesel and has paid the initial amount (taking the car in finance) today and im taking the delivery on 9th of next month. I have decided to go for Figo after going through various forums in our TAI site which made my life easier in taking a firm decision. Thanks TAI.

Now coming to the dealer, I have asked him to show the car which they have allotted for me after the payment. Over phone he said it is available and I can have a look at it when I come for making payment, however after I went there he said "Sorry sir, the car has not yet come, it is still in the stock yard". And then he went on to say that they will go ahead with registration on Monday and I can do PDI on 5th, to which I got amused. Since this is my first car buying experience I am not aware whether PDI should be done before or after registration and hence I didn't told anything but returned simply.

But after looking VIN forum I have understood PDI will / can be done before registration[frustration]. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also please advice on what to be done as the dealer is proceeding ahead with registration on Monday itself. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Should PDI be done before / after registration?

First Of all, Hearty Congrats for booking the car. Figo is very good car, especially that titanium is great VFM car. [clap]

Without your signatures on the registration papers they can't register the vehicle. PDI itself means, Pre Delivery Inspection. So, before you sign on the papers, You can demand a PDI the vehicle before the registration, obviously its your right. If they are adamant, you can even tell them you can cancel the booking if they cann't able to show you car before the registration. You can simply download the PDI list from TAI and go ahead. All the Very Best. [:)]

Thread Starter #3

Thanks raaj, i should have gone through this forum before making the payment.

I have already signed the registration papers yesterday itself. How foolishly i have done[anger]. Can i still demand to do PDI checks now? Earlier i just saw the VIN thread and cross checked the same with my vehicle. Eventhough they have not shown vehicle to me they told me that it is a 2013 may model. Now another question has raised, can we take a 5 month old vehicle[surprise]? Please suggest.

I see something fishy here. A five months old vehicle surely not a welcome.

I pity your situation. If the tax is already paid for the vehicle, You can do nothing now since you already signed the papers and made the full payment. One last thing you may do is, you can see the car before the registration with the mercy of dealer. If the tax is not yet paid online, You can ask the dealer to stop the registration. That's all you can do, I think. Time is very less so, you may go ahead and contact them.

Let's hope all is okay with car and All the Best.

Don't know the procedure in Karnataka. But, Here in AP, we never allow the dealers to register the vehicles. We do that on our own.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Oh is it?? I think i hav really done something wrong here. But i hav read somewhere in our forum that a vehicle less than 6 months is ok. Can you please put some more light on this. In the meantime i will contact my dealer and will ask him to stop registration for time being. Also please suggest what should be the maximum period of vehicle mfg date before delivery. Please help in getting me out of this. Its our hard earned money and if something goes wrong luke this then it surely hurts.

6 months is okay but not always, especially in a city like Bangalore it is very unlikely. However, let's hope for the best as there is least you can do now since you already paid and signed.

Nextime, If you plan a vehicle, please start a thread here in TAI and update everything until the last process. (Like VIN number, detailed PID report including pictures etc). So that everything would be in peace of mind.

All the Best and share your ownership experience once you got it.

6 months old car ?? I will not accept. Don't ask me why.
PDI should be done before registration ,If dealer has not shown you the car and has gone for registration, expect a bad surprise after sometime related technical glitch.

The purpose of the PDI is to ensure that , the car is in best condition before delivering to customer. Now the cheater are every where,so now customer has taken up this task and doing this before registration.
After vehicle is registered,you can do nothing.

Doing PDi before registration is recomandable, but what if something had happened after your PDI. In my case it happened. I did PDI before registration and when the vehicle was delivered it had dents in roof which I did not catch in the dark. Next day I found many dents in roof which surprised everyone then the sales team took my car removed dents and repainted it. But the originality is lost here.

Welcome to TAI, Ramkee.

Which dealer did you book the car from. My friend bought his Figo from Lathangi (JP Nagar) and of course we did a PDI before registration.

Do not get scared even if its a 6 month old car. Hope you got good deal/discounts. Try to get all the lubes changed and preferably the battery. Check the tyres too before delivery. Lastly look for any visual discrepancies before taking delivery (minor scratch / dent)

Wish you all the best.

Thread Starter #10

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Based on your inputs I have done PDI of the may 2013 model which they offered me before registration. I didn't find any noticeable defects as for as visual inspection is concerned. All the things were in order. However I did find some rust formation on front tyres which they told would be cleaned before delivery. ODO meter was showing 7kms[surprise]. Wish they might not tampered with it.

And I didn't check fluid levels of wiper, brakes and coolant as they said they will keep everything in order before giving delivery. But to be honest I am not aware of the locations of the above said things. Can someone guide me in identifying these before taking delivery please? Also I m planning to go for a long drive (nearly 600kms, from Bangalore to hyderabad) immediately after taking delivery. Is it advisable? or should I wait for maybe a day or two so as to check the overall condition of the car?

Also regarding tyres, they have put Goodyear. Is it ok? And they have kept a normal spare wheel instead of alloy wheel. Should I ask / demand them for a alloy wheel?

@anshuman8 : Thank u. Booked my Figo at cauvery ford. I didn't get any further discounts as I had already paid the money to them before knowing it is a 4 month old car [anger]. Should I insist them to change the battery also? Apart from that they said they will change all the lubes.

I am getting my car on 06th of this month. eagerly waiting for that.

Please send ur suggestions / advices.

What commitment was done by them when you paid the amount? I mean did they tell you that it is going to be a 4 month old car?
All you can do right now is to take a person who is well versed with cars (may be a bangalore TAIn can help you out) to the dealership and try to get some basic accessories as freebies.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Based on your inputs I have done PDI of the may 2013 model which they offered me before registration. I didn't find any noticeable defects as for as visual inspection is concerned. All the things were in order. However I did find some rust formation on front tyres which they told would be cleaned before delivery. ODO meter was showing 7kms. Wish they might not tampered with it.

And I didn't check fluid levels of wiper, brakes and coolant as they said they will keep everything in order before giving delivery. But to be honest I am not aware of the locations of the above said things. Can someone guide me in identifying these before taking delivery please? Also I m planning to go for a long drive (nearly 600kms, from Bangalore to hyderabad) immediately after taking delivery. Is it advisable? or should I wait for maybe a day or two so as to check the overall condition of the car?

Also regarding tyres, they have put Goodyear. Is it ok? And they have kept a normal spare wheel instead of alloy wheel. Should I ask / demand them for a alloy wheel?

@anshuman8 : Thank u. Booked my Figo at cauvery ford. I didn't get any further discounts as I had already paid the money to them before knowing it is a 4 month old car. Should I insist them to change the battery also? Apart from that they said they will change all the lubes.

Good to know you did PDI before registration and glad it went well. When You go through PDI, Wish you had demanded them a latest arrived car rather than a 4 months old. However, I'm glad to know the car is in good condition. So, I think it's the time to prepare the things to celebrate. [:)]

Regarding Lubricants and other fluids, don't worry about that. They usually fill/check before the delivery.

Regarding Alloy Wheel, Figo don't come with alloy wheel as spare. Also, they can't change the stock tyres, however Goodyear has no problem. No need to worry about the ODO as well, As it would have directly landed from factory to their stockyard.

I would advise you to go long routes after spending a day/two with the car. So that you would come to know few things about the car and then you can zoom the car in the highways.

Also last but not the least, don't be shy to ask each and every detail about the car on the delivery day. Believe me, it helps a lot when you were alone in the driving. Also before going on a long drive, keep few essential things in your car. For more info, Click Here.

Wish You the very best and looking very forward to see your ownership thread. [clap]

You can go for any sort of drive but 2 must rule you have to follow during the run in period.
1- Keep the RPM of the engine below 2000.
2-Follow the rule#1 strictly.
Typically run in period is around till the 1st service of the car.
You cannot demand but can ask for the alloy wheel, but I think it will not be heard.
Happy driving and share the delivery time picture and all.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Based on your inputs I have done PDI of the may 2013 model which they offered me before registration. I didn't find any noticeable defects as for as visual inspection is concerned. All the things were in order. However I did find some rust formation on front tyres which they told would be cleaned before delivery. ODO meter was showing 7kms[surprise]. Wish they might not tampered with it.

@anshuman8 : Thank u. Booked my Figo at cauvery ford. I didn't get any further discounts as I had already paid the money to them before knowing it is a 4 month old car [anger]. Should I insist them to change the battery also? Apart from that they said they will change all the lubes.

Enjoy your car, and the ride, you have done all the right things (PDI) and dont get paranoid remember, its your baby now, drive carefully and enjoy.
I remember i had bought an M800 in Dec., 95 at Gurgaon, (my dad was staying in DLF), i thought i would get the delivery by 12 noon, and then drive to Kanpur, where I was staying, instead i got the delivery at 3pm, topped up at a petrol bunk, and drove down to kanpur, took the GT Road, which used to be the widest road in those days, and reached before midnight, I still remember it was biting cold, and I had the heater on...my son & daughter who were 10 & 6, were so excited they did not sleep, as i would call them at each pit stop from an STD booth, I love driving, and do the same distance between Riyadh & Dammam here in 3 and half hours.
god bless
vinod

Thread Starter #15

Wish You the very best and looking very forward to see your ownership thread. [clap]
Thank you raaj for your support, you have been guiding me since the beginnig. Will definietely post my ownership thread.

What commitment was done by them when you paid the amount? I mean did they tell you that it is going to be a 4 month old car?
All you can do right now is to take a person who is well versed with cars (may be a bangalore TAIn can help you out) to the dealership and try to get some basic accessories as freebies
@Akash : No, they didnt informed me that it is a 4 month old car during payment. Even i didnt asked them about that as i was not aware of such things. However based on our TAI members suggestion i did PDI before registration in which the car found in order. Yes regarding accessories they did offer me seat covers, rear parking sensors, floor matts, mud flaps and side black beams as freebies.

You can go for any sort of drive but 2 must rule you have to follow during the run in period.
1- Keep the RPM of the engine below 2000.
2-Follow the rule#1 strictly.
@Amit1km : Got it. Will follow this strictly.

Enjoy your car, and the ride, you have done all the right things (PDI) and dont get paranoid remember, its your baby now, drive carefully and enjoy.
@nanofreak : Thanks for your wishes. Even i m getting so excited to drive my baby after reading abt ur 1st journey.

Apart from the PDI are there any specific things to be checked? Should i go for anti-rust undercoating? Is it necessary for bangalore climate?

Top Bottom