Basic Help Required For Long Life of Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi all Techies and Professionals[:D]

Im new to driving and did around 1000-1500kms and im not that aggressive as a driver. Rarely goes beyond 100kmph. However i have small (silly) doubts which are haunting me for some time now, hoping someone can help me clear these:

1. Does coasting on 2nd or 3rd gears on plain roads consumes more fuel? And it is opposite when coasting downwards i.e the car doesn't consume fuel at all or just consumes very negligible amount?
2. Can we keep our foot on the brake at signals (offcourse with disengaged clutch and gear in neutral) instead of hand brake? Will this have any adverse effects on brake wear in the long run?
3. Can we keep the car wheels in extreme right/left position during parking for long hours? Does it effect power steering?
4. Should we maintain the speed below 80kmph for the first 5000kms of drive and if so, why?
5. Which is the most FE mode of drive? Going quickly to top gear and maintaining there for a considerable time or upshifting/downshifting as per the recommended rpms?
6. Can we directly use 2nd gear instead of 1st when going down slope and with some momentum can the same be done on plain roads? Will it improve FE?
7. Should we change the oil at 5000kms itself for diesel cars instead of recommended 10000kms for longevity of engine? (First oil change)
8. Should idling rule be followed in all seasons? If so what is the recommended starting and stopping time? Also seen some where that idling for longer periods is also dangerous to engine as the engine will not be at its operating temperature causing some serious damage to other parts as well.[confused]. Either way is dangerous[surprise]!

Please help.

I'm not a professional but here are my few cents regarding your doubts.

1. The higher the gear you coast in, the lesser will be the fuel consumption.
Whether the car is coasting in a flat surface or on a downhill, the fuel consumption remains the same as long as you are in the same gear.

2. No, it is not a good habit at all. It puts unnecessary pressure on the brake system. I recommend pulling the handbrake if there is a long gap between the signal.

3. It does effect the car's Wheel Alignment. Its recommended to keep the wheels straight when parking for long time.

4. Though manufacturers say, new generation cars doesn't have any run-in period. There are people who still follow that. I would any day follow it, just like an extra precaution.

5. Sometimes, quick upshifting can give you more FE. But its better for the engine if you upshift only at the recommended rpms.

6. If you are in a good momentum, then I guess its fine. I have been doing it for quite some time. But make sure the car is not at halt. I believe there will be a very slight FE increase. Please don't kill your clutch in the process of trying to achieve more FE. :tongue:

7. I'm not sure about this one. Just change it if you find the engine oil to be too dark. 10k is fine I guess. Many manufacturers change their oil at 15k kms.

8. Everyday, when I start the car, the car is left for about 30 secs approx. to warm up. If the car has been left untouched, then more.
I never heard about idling being dangerous to the engine [confused]. IMO, it causes damage only when you rev the engine before it reaches its optimum temperature.

Last edited:
8. Should idling rule be followed in all seasons? If so what is the recommended starting and stopping time? Also seen some where that idling for longer periods is also dangerous to engine as the engine will not be at its operating temperature causing some serious damage to other parts as well.[confused]. Either way is dangerous[surprise]!

Please help.
if it is a turbo diesel/petrol car, idling rule should be strictly followed. In the morning usually i idle my car for minimum 1 minute. During day time before switching off the engine i follow the 30 sec idling rule. if you are coming from a long drive, it is always better to idle the engine for minimum 2 - 3 minutes before switching off.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
one more thing i wanted to ask.

9. when parking for more than 8 hours , should we just put the car in gear or engage hand brake + car in gear ? someone said using hand brake affects something. idk.

9. when parking for more than 8 hours , should we just put the car in gear or engage hand brake + car in gear ? someone said using hand brake affects something. idk.
Hi allhyundaicars,
That's a good question,I put in first gear and engage hand brake.Experts could help.Some people put in reverse gear in down slopes.
Regards,
Aneesh.

yes i also heard that using the hand brake for longer period is not good. It puts extra stress on the braking system.

Top Bottom