What are A,B,C...Pillars?

350Z

Core Team
a-b-c-pillars.jpg

The above picture would help you to understand what A, B, C and D Pillars are. As for the blind spots, Generally a wide D pillar creates a blind spots and makes the task of reversing difficult.

In the case of A-Pillar blind spots, Let me take an example of Maruti SX4, This car has a front quarter glass and since the ORVM (outside Rear View Mirror) is placed before it, The remaining area of quarter glass results in leaving a blind spot, Especially when making turns.

getimagey.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Automotive regulations are very specific about the A Pillar blind spot, and the total obscured angle by the A Pillar (including the blacked out area of the wind-shield, the glass runs of your side window) should not exceed a particular value. This is (by regulation) 6 degrees as measured from the viewing position of the driver.
I think from a drivers point of view (especially a shorter driver) the Wagon R is a good example of high A Pillar blind spots, since this is a comment I have heard, much more than for the SX4.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Vibhor.
So the naming A, B, C or D is just sequential?

Automotive regulations are very specific about the A Pillar blind spot, and the total obscured angle by the A Pillar (including the blacked out area of the wind-shield, the glass runs of your side window) should not exceed a particular value. This is (by regulation) 6 degrees as measured from the viewing position of the driver.
Aditya, 6 degree, in vertical angle or side angle?

6 Degrees as seen in a top view. Let me see if I can locate some picture that can make the thing clearer.
-----------Next Post-----------
Got a not so very clear picture from the regulation. I am only wondering if it is further confusing the issue or not!!

The image is a sectional view at around the ht of the driver eye, with the wind shield in front, and the pillar shown in section.

Attachments

Last edited:
Yes RSM most of the cars come with blind spots , you must have experienced it in your Punto by now!

Especially during nights when making turns we will have to either look through our windshield or mirror and lean front or side to get a proper view! By sitting in our seat without moving i guess we will be very much affected by blind spot which does not give a proper view of the road we are tuning into! I have experienced this in both my Safari as well as Verna!!

I guess nothing can be done! We will have to adjust!![:)]

Try to understand the cars moves. these blind spot will become non blind one.

Esp in turning/corner move the head front and back for on comming side traffic , as noting can be done for driver side a pillar 's obstruct

There are few exceptional cars with slick A-Pillars!!

Volvo Claims that all the models reduce blind spot by 99% & its true :)

You dont feel tough searching for visbility.

It hardly matters.

i am 5 ft. every other car that I drive has high blindspot everywhere. [:D]
There are special application films which can be used on the edges of the wind shield, which are refractive in nature, and "bend" the light around the opaque A pillar.
These can improve visibility, but are not very commonly used.

350Z

Core Team
And what about rear blind spot in Amby? I always wonder if it is tough to reverse that car because it has a small rear glass with shell like rear.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom