Patch in Tubeless Tyre.

Thread Starter #1
Hello,
Recently I punctures one of the tyres of my car.
I found that the pucture was on the side wall of the tyre. Did the regular puncture repais at the garage.

But being on the side wall it did not hold long.
I had two options
1. add a tube to the tyre.
2. Do patch on the tyre. ( from inside)

I did buy a tube for 350/- rs.

went to the puncture repair shop and asked him to do the same.
He suggested to do the patch work as it was more reliable.After asking a few other tyre repair guys I decided on the patch work.
I was charged 250 for the same, I did the patch work as I will be using this tyre as spare one only.

Below are the pictures of the same.
side wall puncture 1.JPG
side wall punc 2.JPG
18072013021.jpg
18072013022.jpg
It was on this machine that the tyre was removed from the rim and refitted back
18072013024.jpg

But being on the side wall it did not hold long.
I had two options
1. add a tube to the tyre.
2. Do patch on the tyre. ( from inside)

I did buy a tube for 350/- rs.

went to the puncture repair shop and asked him to do the same.
He suggested to do the patch work as it was more reliable.
Isn't that a Mushroom Patch? That's what is generally used for such punctures.

I am not sure what it is called[sad]
If the puncture had made a hole in the tyre surface, then patching it up in one side, either inside or outside won't help. We need to seal it properly. Hence, the normal Plug Method won't work for Punctures which are in the sidewalls, corner or quite bigger ones. Alternatively, Mushroom Patch Method is used for such critical punctures.

Generally, Mushroom method is said to be better than the regular plug method. I too have done it once, but had to redo it twice as it was not done properly in the first 2 times. How was it at the 3rd time? Well, I changed the tyres then... [lol] So can't comment on reliability. I guess, it should be done perfectly.

Thread Starter #5
Figoian,
Thanks for explaining the MUSHROOM METHOD.
I too had done the plug method twice, but it did not last for more that a day as it was on tyre wall.
Hope this lasts.. [:)]

The puncture repair guy had scrapped the tyre from inside (as can be seen in picture), then he applied a lot of solution and waited for a few minutes before applying the patch.

Hope he did it properly.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Last to last week I had to do the same patch work in 2 of my i10's tyres. Total 3 patches and they costed me 400 rupees.

Some days later one of the patch leaked. Had to buy mrf tube [anger] for 400 bucks. The other tyre has no problen fortunately.

Jayesh@

You were using that tire with tube or tubeless now?

which brand tire was that?A new tire? Any idea how these side wall puncture happened?

Thread Starter #8
Jayesh@

You were using that tire with tube or tubeless now?

which brand tire was that?A new tire? Any idea how these side wall puncture happened?
It is a tubeless tyre from CEAT proviede by the company.
It was first punctured by a nail, how did it happen no idea.

Jayesh@

That is ok. My question was Still you are using it without tube? Found any decrease in air after that?

Thread Starter #10
I am going to use it as spare wheel, will check the tyre pressure tomorrow to see if theres any problem.

My car's tyre got side wall cut and I also followed the same way as Jayesh.

Two cut on side wall:
DSCN3759.JPG

Close look:
DSCN3758.JPG
DSCN3705.JPG

Patch:
270220131378.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
The first one can be repaired using plug. will cost about 120.

The one on the side wall is big[surprise], please don't use this Tyre expect as spare and that also not for long run also drive slow when you are using this Tyre.

Guys, I don't really taking chances with tires. A few months back I witnessed a narrow escape of a tata winger which was ahead of our car. It's tire burst as a result of which it got off the road. Fortunately the driver could control it. Some days later my driver told me that the guy, who turned out to be one of his co-worker had done a patch job on the tire wall.

I agree that the quality of job does matter but then, never neglect tire maintenance. I have noticed most people don't prefer spending on tires. One should realise that they are the ones which are actually the first contact to the road. So anything wrong with tires can prove really dangerous.

Edit: My aim is not to scare anyone, but to ensure that even if it is a spare tire, please keep it in healthy state. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I have got sidewall cut in two of the tires, one I discarded and second (shown in post above) one, converted to tube tyre, using as spare tyre for emergency.

Top Bottom