Is Honda Brio’s Rear Glass Brittle?

Thread Starter #1
I understand that a lot has already been discussed about the all glass rear of Brio specially regarding its safety and durability aspects. But i have come across 2-3 rare instances on internet where people claimed that the rear glass just exploded/shattered for apparently no reason.

Here is the latest I saw on HONDA BRIO - Review | Price | Specifications | Mileage | Rating - MouthShut.com - MouthShut.com

Honda has already assured everyone that the rear glass is a thicker grade and toughened one. Does the adding of a defogger in new models something to do with it? Maybe sudden heating/cooling of glass aiding the problem? I think glass can break in any car when heat builds up inside a car parked in direct sun for long, though rarely.

Oh yes. I had seen this too.In fact I had left a reply there, way back. But no reply.

The glass is not an issue i feel. I had the dealer banging the rear glass 3 times. and not even a crack on the glass. I had the same doubt before booking though. But was impressed by the tuff glass used.

The glass is not easy to break and honda gives 100% insurance on the glass too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Is Honda Brio’s Rear Glass Brittle?

Thanks ajay, glad to know about Honda insurance. Guess these are one off cases which got highlighted coz of all glass hatch.

Re: Is Honda Brio’s Rear Glass Brittle?

Thanks ajay, glad to know about Honda insurance. Guess these are one off cases which got highlighted coz of all glass hatch.
The glass hatch is very tough. I am driving a Brio for over a year now.

Its just that some people will like it, and some will hate it. Its something new, so some people will take time to digest.

There are many new age cars with similar glass hatches around the world. Check VW UP for instance!

Thread Starter #5
Love the rear view of Brio more than its front! And it looks so much better than VW Up's rear, at least in pics.

Thread Starter #9
hmm so this can happen to any car. Especially in hot places. So now why only rear glass, as Ajay asked. Experts: is it due to rear glass being thinner and larger than the windshield and side windows, so it is more vulnerable?

there are two types of glass available for automobiles,,one is gas filled glass,one is laminated,
brios rear glass is of poor quality gas filled,thats why it shatters intopieces when its hot

A.D.S Mann,

man the glass that is shattered here due to heat is Zen's and not brio. Brio has a good quality tuff glass used in there. Any car for that matter, the company tests the car and on the positive outcome, releases the car. With all respect to the post on mouthshut, I doubt it.

there are two types of glass available for automobiles,,one is gas filled glass,one is laminated,
brios rear glass is of poor quality gas filled,thats why it shatters intopieces when its hot
A.D.S.Mann, buddy, only thing I can tell you is LOL!!

As per Honda, Brio's back glass is tougher than most windshields.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Honda Brio's (2013 model) back windshield glass shattered into small pieces 3 days back. It blasted off without any external impact when it was parked (I believe it has something to do with blasting off the high compresses hydraulic piston which hold the back shield, but there may be other reasons). This is dangerous as it would have hurt someone badly.When I said this to Honda Car India they are not accepting it. I have a guard who witnessed it. I had a believe that honda quality is one of the best but I think one should think thousand times before buying Honda Brio. I am planning to lodge complain as consumer.

Hi,

the rear glass in all cars is toughened as against the front which is laminated. So if something hits the front, it will crack but stay. But if the rear is hit, it will crack and shatter. Sometimes even a small stone is enough for this. The initial crack may be small but when it heats up, the stress builds, the crack may propagate and result in entire glass shattering. Since it is toughened, it has internal stresses, once it cracks, it will completely shatter to pieces. It happens in all cars but with a conventional glass installation, there is a frame that takes the loading of the strut. In the Brio, the strut is connected to the glass itself, so it must be stressing the pane. That may be the reason for the glass' reputation

Ameyam

Top Bottom