Good MASS in Pune for My Wagon-R Body Work

Thread Starter #1
Hello All

I am new to this forum. Let me cut to the chase.
My Maruti Suzuki WagonR has got a crack in the RHS apron and the RHS tyre therefore is pushed a little backward. The portion on the right side is also not in level with the bonet as it has sagged a little downwards. I bought it a few months ago from a true value shop. It is a 2007 model with 50K+ on odo. I went to 2 MASS centres Sai and Chowgule and they are both quoting 18 to 20K for the repair job, from my pocket after insurance claims. They say the entire engine unit needs to be removed and the apron replaced. Last couple of days I also notice the breaks have also gone loose and i have to pedal it full to apply brakes.

Now I would like to know which MASS is best in Pune around camp area. There is a MASS Wonder cars near pool gate area in Pune Camp. But I dont know how they are compared to Sai and Chowgule.

Please help.

Hi. Welcome to TAI and have a wonderful time in this form. Do not worry our team members will help you to solve all your car problems. There are many to help you in Pune of our form.

You can try some of the good garages which are good in body work.

You can try Shetty Garage which is located in Baner. He is good in all types of repairs. I too have preferred for my insurance claim over MASS.

Give it a try his number is: 9850262007

Thread Starter #4
Thanks SandeepK and ADS99 for the replies.

I had to get my car to a MASS on 16th itself as the brakes were really not working. I went to Wonder Cars near camp area. The SA told me that the brake booster needs to be replaced and charged 3080 for that + 600 for labour charge. But what surprised me isn't this. Like others, they charged 1000 bucks for servicing. But over and above that they charged 100 bucks each for every item possible like distilled water, grease etc. which would not tempt a prospective customer like me to visit again.

Besides about the body damage, they told the same thing the other MASS's told me that the cracked apron needs to be replaced and for that the entire engine unit need to be taken off the bonet. The quote is again around 25K. I might rather drive it for what its worth and sell it off!

Even my WagonR has same problem and I got it done in following way-
1. Replace stabilizer bar
2. Replace lower arm (R side in your case)
3. Weld the aproan where there is crack.
1+2+3 costs about Rs. 3000.
FYI, if apron developes crack, it also means above 1+2 are also damaged. If we can get desired results with 1+2+3, why to go for apron replacement.
I am running my car in this way for last 3.5 years.
I have a older gen WagonR (not the blue eyed boy) and I was quoted 8.5k for replacement of the apron by MASS. (Not those big guys but smaller MASS in Pashan).
Where do you stay in Pune. I can try to help you in getting it done with least damage. (I don't own a garage nor have any contacts. But I can assess your car and possibly advice you as I have gone through the same problem.)

Thread Starter #6
That sounds very comforting. Thanks Aashish. Even i guessed the 25k was certainly 90% their overestimated labor charge going by the way they charge for itsy-bitsies.

The only criteria I am looking for is to get back the original driving comforts like alignment, steering smoothness/steadiness and get rid of the thud thud sound coming from the RHS front tyre on the move and the level difference between the bonnet and right fender. I'd definitely be a happier person if I can get it done on even 1/5th of the cost these guys are quoting. [:)]

I stay in the camp area near MG road. Please let me know if you are around here. I would definitely like to take your advice.

Go to an MGP store and check their parts book.If you can find the entire apron piece, then buy it.A lot of people who have got the welding done on the apron have later broken their heads when the weld rusted and came undone.

Any part that you weld get painted.If its an outer part, get it painted.If an inner hidden part get it coated with red oxide/zinc primer/3M anti rust.

Kristh, I stay in P. Saudagar area and work in Hinjewadi. Let's see if we can catch up some time soon.
Regarding your problem-
Even my car used to loose it's track due to apron+ suspension work. However, after doing the fix mentioned by me, everything got perfect. Even wheel alignment report become OK. Have you checked your wheel alignment after the incident. If yes, what is showing on your report? Also, can you post pictures of your cracked apron?
BTW, changing the apron just for smaller issue is a big no as car will loose it's initial computerized perfect setting. I have heard that there are some high end machines to fix such issue, not sure MASS in Pune have one. How old is your car? and is it blue eyed i.e. new WagonR?

Hi Kristh, Sai service has always been credible. But in anycase i suugest u call maruti on their helpline directly and find out all the service centers around, ull get a better idea.. call on 18001800180, they're damn helpful

My Wagon R had developed a slight crack on the LHS apron where a nut is in place for support 1.5 years back. On showing it to a MASS advisor, he mentioned that there is no issue and the car would run fine for nearly 1-2 years before doing of any repair. However i was unable to drive the car within a month as the crack became substantial and was effecting the drivability of the car. Had the SA suggested welding at that point in time, it would have limited the damage. The SA probably wanted the car to get substantially damaged so that he could suggest complete replacement of the Apron. And that is what he did. He quoted around Rs 25k at that time. However i got the same fixed from a local garage at around Rs 2500 (Welding + Suspension related work). The car now is driving fine. The only care that i need to take is not to drive the car rashly over bumps and potholes.

However this might not be a long term solution. The apron would be required to be changed in the future. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also will this be covered under insurance?

Also will this be covered under insurance?
No. If you had claimed for insurance within a short time of the accident (upto 1 week, but I am not sure) this would have been covered. One plan would be to damage the car intentionally and damage the apron and take the car for insurance claim the next day. This way you would easily get a part, if not all, of your fender's cost. Be sure not to damage other parts and do cook up a good story on how all this happened.

Top Bottom