Help! Hairline Crack in Tubeless Tyres

Thread Starter #1
My ritz car has 165/80/r14 Bridge stone tyres run only for 4250 km are 2.5yrs old only (factory fitted came along with the car purchase). Recently i noticed that all the 4 tyres have developed hair line crack circumferential on the side wall.

Is it safe to continue riding with these tyres....I am surprised to see this condition for all the tyres even though i have run 4250 km most of the time in city condition.

These are the tyres which were factory fitted when i brought the car. Can i claim replacement under warranty. But no seperate bill provided for the tyres during purchase of the car. Kindly advice.

Images are shown below.

The image links as follows

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?z9ldc8muqe43u#nrgt9tbr1c535z1
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?z9ldc8muqe43u#
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?nn3twpemw1xvd#v66pquzxqxaquck

Last edited:
Re: Need help-hair crack in tubeless tyre

i feel changing is better than taking chances, i could suggest to change the tyres if you are into lot of long drive and drive at good speed. just my thought...

Thread Starter #3

i feel changing is better than taking chances, i could suggest to change the tyres if you are into lot of long drive and drive at good speed. just my thought...
Thanks..for the reply..Presently the car is used only for short distances..

looks like your car was standing still for months with the air either completely out or partialy out. if the running is only very little and you don't intend on long highway runs use the current ones to the max. also be prepared for flat tyres on daily runs and when you go out in the mornings

Thread Starter #5

looks like your car was standing still for months with the air either completely out or partialy out. if the running is only very little and you don't intend on long highway runs use the current ones to the max. also be prepared for flat tyres on daily runs and when you go out in the mornings
I use the car 3 days in week for daily 2 km to and fro from office to house most of the time the car is in parked condition, and occasional long runs. i think i had driven the car with under deflated tire for some 6 km..recently..i doubt that...

I think your tyre are harden now. It is not surprising that after 2.5 years, if it has devloped the crack that to hairline . Your running also very less.
How big is that crack ? if it is small one, with your running style, it will not create problem. But in highway it will be a big "NO".
Share any photo of the crack. People here can help precisely with the problem.

Hi Antony,

Welcome to TAI and share some photos using photo upload feature from TAI.

Also since your car is already 2.5 years old and might have sat for a long time with low/no air pressure the cracks have appeared. They will result in air leakage from time to time.

If you do not intend to use the car in Highway and use for only short city runs, fill the tires with recommended air pressure every week.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #8
I think your tyre are harden now. It is not surprising that after 2.5 years, if it has devloped the crack that to hairline . Your running also very less.
How big is that crack ? if it is small one, with your running style, it will not create problem. But in highway it will be a big "NO".
Share any photo of the crack. People here can help precisely with the problem.

Please right click the above image to see the picture

Thread Starter #9
Hi Antony,

Also since your car is already 2.5 years old and might have sat for a long time with low/no air pressure the cracks have appeared. They will result in air leakage from time to time.

If you do not intend to use the car in Highway and use for only short city runs, fill the tires with recommended air pressure every week.

Cheers,
Anshuman
how to use the photo upload feature pl. guide..

Attachments

Thread Starter #10
Hi Antony,

Cheers,
Anshuman
some pictures

Attachments

Your tires were manufactured in July 2010, so nearing 3 years now and end of life.

It is time for change.

If you still want to stick to same set of tires, check the air pressure every week and refill to recommended air pressure.

In another 1 year you have to replace them.

Thanks,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #12
Your tires were manufactured in July 2010, so nearing 3 years now and end of life.

It is time for change.

If you still want to stick to same set of tires, check the air pressure every week and refill to recommended air pressure.

In another 1 year you have to replace them.

Thanks,
Anshuman
But whether it is safe to ride with these?

I want to purchase new tyres where from i can do this..i prefer direct from dealers so that warrany can be availed easily.
Appollo, J&K who are dealers near by chembur area in mumbai..any idea??

Last edited:
But whether it is safe to ride with these?

I want to purchase new tyres where from i can do this..i prefer direct from dealers so that warrany can be availed easily.
Appollo, J&K who are dealers near by chembur area in mumbai..any idea??
Please check with Mumbai members, about the location of tyre shops. I guess there should be a plenty.

Looking at the pics, I second nozzlering that you should by all means change the tyres. They could burst at the slightest undulations or sharp stones.

Top Bottom