Anti Pinch Power Windows.

Anti Pinch feature in Power Windows.

• Never knew such a feature existed in Power windows.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Know about it but Don't bother about it so much.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Definitely Would like to know & learn more.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Should be made mandatory while offering Power Windows.

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
This may be a trivial issue for many & a very concerning issue for many others, but irrespective of that I just wanted to start a thread on this.

1. Anti-Pinch feature, how can this feature be added at a later stage to power windows which are already on any car? Any ideas/opinions/suggestions?

2. What are the cars & why do only these cars in India come with this feature from the manufacturer?

3. Is it mandatory in any country like seat belts?

I was able to find this below which seems to indicate this feature was invented very recently.

Patent US7021001 - Anti-pinch power window system - Google Patents

Last edited:
As far as i know its some sort of a safety feature.cant fathom anything from the link. Could you explain in layman's terms?

In simple- An electrical circuit monitors how much power the motor is using to close the window. Too much power indicates something is preventing the window from moving easily and the electronics either shut the motor off or reverse direction. It's almost exactly the same as a force sensor on a garage door opener.

Thread Starter #5
not trying to scare anybody but just imagine what might happen if a person has a body part outside the car window like a hand or fingers or worse their head out and then someone like the driver somehow/mistakenly/unknowingly shuts such a power window (without this anti-pinch feature) using the button! What do you think will happen? So the anti-pinch feature is to avoid exactly such accidents! although rare, just read the links below you will understand what it is all about much better.

Power Windows

IIHS-HLDI

Power Window Dangers - LieffCabraser.com

Last edited:
In simple- An electrical circuit monitors how much power the motor is using to close the window. Too much power indicates something is preventing the window from moving easily and the electronics either shut the motor off or reverse direction. It's almost exactly the same as a force sensor on a garage door opener.
It is exactly how it works, but i think its not that necessary feature but still it is advisable to have it for safety of children.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i think it's only useful in cars having auto up and down function. i mean if someone closes the manual window , it'll go up only for a second whereas auto close the window fully.

Thread Starter #8
whether auto up or push button to operate, kind of power windows, even if trapped for a few seconds, it can cause serious accidents especially with children when left alone etc etc although rare can be fatal as well!

I am guessing it is offered in only those cars in India which are mostly bought for family use like M&M Quanto etc.

anyway key question is how easy is it to add the anti-pinch feature? at a later stage once you have bought the car..

whether auto up or push button to operate, kind of power windows, even if trapped for a few seconds, it can cause serious accidents especially with children when left alone etc etc although rare can be fatal as well!

I am guessing it is offered in only those cars in India which are mostly bought for family use like M&M Quanto etc.

anyway key question is how easy is it to add the anti-pinch feature? at a later stage once you have bought the car..
Leaving children alone in car itself can lead to serious accidents.
As krish mentioned, this feature becomes a necessity in auto roll up windows. In normal power windows I dont feel it is necessary. Anti pinch feature doesn't add to safety.
IMO, adding this feature wont be difficult. We just need to add a circuit in the present circuit which can sense increase in current flow and give a feedback to stop.

This happened to me. My son (8 months) was holding the glass and i closed the window. And there is no anti pinch, The next scene was started consoling a crying kid on a busy high way.

This may be a trivial issue for many & a very concerning issue for many others, but irrespective of that I just wanted to start a thread on this.

1. Anti-Pinch feature, how can this feature be added at a later stage to power windows which are already on any car? Any ideas/opinions/suggestions?

2. What are the cars & why do only these cars in India come with this feature from the manufacturer?

3. Is it mandatory in any country like seat belts?

I was able to find this below which seems to indicate this feature was invented very recently.

Patent US7021001 - Anti-pinch power window system - Google Patents
I am planning to fit 4 door power windows for my Dzire Tour. Will the 4 door power windows from manufacturers like GD, Autocop come with Anti pinch feature?

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #13
This happened to me. My son (8 months) was holding the glass and i closed the window. And there is no anti pinch, The next scene was started consoling a crying kid on a busy high way.
Scary!

I am planning to fit 4 door power windows for my Dzire Tour. Will the 4 door power windows from manufacturers like GD, Autocop come with Anti pinch feature?

Regards,
Sankar
You need to ask them. I would recommend getting the anti-pinch feature added especially if kids are going to be in the car a lot.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
I don't think the power windows fitted from outside comes with anti-pinch feature[frustration].

Regards,
Sankar
Tell them you are not buying the kit since it does not have ant-pinch feature, & as more & more customers demand they will eventually add the product with that feature. You can wait & install at that time when they do start selling such a product. downside is you have to use regular rollup windows until then, plus point is you deferred an expense until then !

On a side note just like I thought there might be a lot of people might not even know about this feature or what the purpose might be or the risks involved!

Last edited:

Top Bottom