New Tata Nano Running in Period Question

Thread Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I just bought a Nano CX - BS4 in addition to the Zen and Eeco which i already have. I bought it just for the fuel efficiency touted. My first tank full to tank full test shows 20kmpl. With mixed city and highway driving of equal proportions. Always driven only with Ac on. I will be doing a detailed feedback/review of the car shortly.

As of now my main question is : On the front windshield theres a sticker mentioning a running in period which says for the first 1000kms or so to keep within these speed limits..... "Gear 1 - max 10 kmph. Gear 2 - max 25 kmph, Gear 3 - max 40 kmph and Gear 4 - max 60 kmph".

I have kept within these limits for the last 300kms of driving. Now i need to take this car on a long drive of 1200kms total. WIll there be an issue if i drive it on the highway at slightly 60+ ? Like say about 65-70kmph max ? Will even this slight deviation ruin the engine or its fuel efficiency in some way ?

Please do let me know asap.

Thank You.

Re: New Tata Nano, Running in period question

Well I dont know about the Nano in particular,but to completely open a cars engine,it needs to be driven bellow 65Km/h for a 1000Kms. I advice you to not exceed 65 for the first 1000kms or first service. I too never exceeded 65 in my city for a month.
After your cars engine opens,it will give better f.e. and will also perform better.

Hello Guys,

I have kept within these limits for the last 300kms of driving. Now i need to take this car on a long drive of 1200kms total. WIll there be an issue if i drive it on the highway at slightly 60+ ? Like say about 65-70kmph max ? Will even this slight deviation ruin the engine or its fuel efficiency in some way ?

Please do let me know asap.

Thank You.
It is not advisable to cross 60Kmph before crossing the 1000 kms milestone..
This is set as time for the engine and other parts of it to acclimatize and start to function smoothly later on..

I was suggest you not to rush and wait for the 1000 kms to be added on the odo.. [glasses]

if you have done 1000 KM on your nano, drive at 70 KMPH speed. its the sweet point where you'll get max. FE.

i have done 2000 KM trip in 5 days in my nano , it returns about 26.85KMPL with 50% AC.
and if you haven't done 1000KM , do drive under 60KM. as, your 1st oil change is not done yet, so its a bit risky to cross 60 KMPH milestone.

65-70 is definitely not a problem buddy, you can take her to those speeds. Just remember, don't accelerate/brake suddenly and sharply. Shift gears smoothly and do not strain (redline) in any gear. Keep initial gears short and once in top, attain your highway speed. And yes, keeping it sane till 1000 kms would help in longer run, though this theory is now highly debatable for modern cars, but certainly no harms in following that.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #6
Changed my mind and made the trip. I got a FE of 27 kmpl upjourney and 23.5 kmpl returning to Chennai. It was just me + 1 passenger + baggage with the rear seat folded down. Though it was pretty boring considering i always used to touch 80-90 but never more in my Zen. My Eeco hasnt run much at all, just 1800 km on the odo and its going to be 2 years old though its in brand new showroom condition.

I did keep within 60-70 kmpl green bandwidth of the speedometer for the up journey and half the return trip. During half the rturn trip i had crossed the 1200 km mark so i occasionally touched 80 but not continuously. I guess that explains why i got lesser FE.

Ride quality is ok given the price of the vehicle. You get what you pay for. Seats are stiff and not too suited for long drives. You need to stop and stretch at least once every 100 km.

One huge problem i faced was getting speed petrol. Speed isnt available at any of the bunks after Trichy. So i had no other go but to use normal unleaded petrol for the uphill climb and thereafter till i returned to Chennai.

Over the past 20 years ive only used speed since it was released and prior to that, only unleaded. Always opted for the best option. I dont know if this figures in my bad FE. But people say that because the Nano is a 2 cylinder engine it doesnt matter if its normal unleaded or speed fuel. Is this true. It has no bearing on FE and engine life and smoothness of the engine ? Plz let me know and i will stick to normal petrol.

Totally the Nano consumed about 61 ltrs of petrol for a trip of 1392 km (600 kms Chennai > Munnar, 192 kms of sightseeing within Munnar, 600 kms return to Chennai) which totals up to 22.8 kmpl. But this is only a ballpark figure since the up journey returned a different mileage compared to the return journey. The hill climbing and slopes must've also had their toll on the mileage. In which case on sea level driving it should probably offer about 25 kmpl.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Somehow made the trip. I got a FE of 27 kmpl upjourney and 23.5 kmpl returning to Chennai. It was just me + 1 passenger + baggage with the rear seat folded down. Though it was pretty boring considering i always used to touch 80-90 but never more in my Zen. My Eeco hasnt run much at all, just 1800 km on the odo and its going to be 2 years old though its in brand new showroom condition.

I did keep within 60-70 kmpl green bandwidth of the speedometer for the up journey and half the return trip. During half the rturn trip i had crossed the 1200 km mark so i occasionally touched 80 but not continuously. I guess that explains why i got lesser FE.

Ride quality is ok given the price of the vehicle. You get what you pay for. Seats are stiff and not too suited for long drives. You need to stop and stretch at least once every 100 km.

One huge problem i faced was getting speed petrol. Speed isnt available at any of the bunks after Trichy. So i had no other go but to use normal unleaded petrol for the uphill climb and thereafter till i returned to Chennai.

Over the past 20 years ive only used speed since it was released and prior to that, only unleaded. Always opted for the best option. I dont know if this figures in my bad FE. But people say that because the Nano is a 2 cylinder engine it doesnt matter if its normal unleaded or speed fuel. Is this true. It has no bearing on FE and engine life and smoothness of the engine ? Plz let me know and i will stick to normal petrol.

Totally the Nano consumed about 61 ltrs of petrol for a trip of 1392 km (600 kms Chennai > Munnar, 192 kms of sightseeing within Munnar, 600 kms return to Chennai) which totals up to 22.8 kmpl. But this is only a ballpark figure since the up journey returned a different mileage compared to the return journey. The hill climbing and slopes must've also had their toll on the mileage. In which case on sea level driving it should probably offer about 25 kmpl.

Top Bottom