Pollution Control Certificate For New Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends, i am a little bit confused for the pollution certificate for my June, 2012 model car. Can anyone tell when to go for a pollution certificate for a new car? What are the penalties if someone caught without pollution certificate? [roll]

Re: Pollution Certificate for 2012 model car?

I think its after a year of registration . You can be fined for 1000rs if you dont have a certificate and 2000 if you are caught again.

350Z

Core Team
Can anyone tell when to go for a pollution certificate for a new car?
No worries. You don’t require a pollution under control certificate for 1 Year since the date of car registration as per Central Motor Vehicles Rule.

Central Motor Vehicles Rule said:
After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid "Pollution under control" certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
No worries. You don’t require a pollution under control certificate for 1 Year since the date of car registration as per Central Motor Vehicles Rule.
Thanks 350Z. [:D] now i can drive freely without any fear at least for 1 year. And any idea for old model cars? [;)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
thanks for confirming this theferrarifan and 350z. i wasn't sure about this but if i were ever stopped by a traffic cop i would have said the same [:D] " sir , no need for PC for a car less than a year old"

Thread Starter #10
hahaha, exactly. I was worried because traffic cops here in Chandigarh are more eager towards cars with registration number of other states. [frustration] All they look for a single mistake and you will loose your 100 rupees note. [;)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i know chandigarh's traffic police is strict. and i totally agree , whenever we pass chandigarh they mostly look at cars of other states just like you mentioned.
we were stopped twice , the first traffic guy called ahead and told some other cop to stop us again[surprise] even though we did an arrangement with the previous cop.

actually the car we were travelling in , innova , the 3rd window was tinted.

Thread Starter #12
that is what Chandigarh Traffic Cops are cursed for by many people who visits or travel through Chandigarh. and one thing more "chalaan ho ya na ho, you will have to loose your money" as they will tell numerous rules and offenses done by you. [confused]
Mods: sorry for going a bit OT

i heard there is a 6 months grace for a new car.

edit : i was wrong
Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989

Emission of smoke, vapour, etc., from motor vehicles
115. Emission of smoke, vapour, etc. from motor vehicles.

[(7) After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle
was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid "Pollution under control"
certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government.
The validity of the certificate shall be for 266[six months] and the certificate shall always
be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand by the officers referred to in sub-rule
(1) of rule 116.
(8) The certificate issued under sub-rule (7) shall, while it remains effective, be valid
throughout India.]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Agreed, i know many of us were confused about the same, that is the reason i made this thread. thanks to the GURUS here for helping us and clearing our doubts.

For new cars the grace period is 1 year and after that one need to get pollution control checked for every 6 months[:)]

hmm thank you for your thread, I forget to renewal my cars pollution certificate which got expired in dec'2012[cry]

Top Bottom