How Many Kms is Acceptable in a Brand New Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hey,
I wanted to know if someone buys a brand new car should there be any Kms on the car? If yes, what is the limit?

Thanks in advance.

AMG

Suspended
Re: How many Kms is acceptable in a brand new car

Depends on the explanation the dealer gives.

Normally walk away if it is over 50, and the reasons are weird.

lowest is best, but in some 2nd or 3rd tier cities, the distance increases coz of logistics. I would say anything below 75 should be acceptable ( provided they give u proof as to why the odo shows so much).

depending on the type of car
some odometers are only connected at the dealership
although i dont know for sure if this is still practiced because of computerization (is that a word)

Well this depends.

i would give you an example i stay in mumbai, all of the dealers here have their stock yar outside the city limit like taloja or panvel etc which is almost 32 to 40 km away.

The car has to be driven and paid stupid octrai for MH govt. So if a dealer is is in prabhadevi and his stock yard is in panvel well good 60 to 65 km ....

I have seen all this guys driving all the way from this places everyday.

So somewhere between 60 to 80KM i feel is okie. But the dealer should give a good explanation on this.

Depends on your car at what kms its been delivered at,generally is aroumd 50 max or say 20 more if their stockyard id more away frm.their showroom.having their proof of valid reasons for such kms driven,i went to stockyard to.chexk my car which was 8 kms driven,add another max 20 it would take to.deliver from.their showroom.

Last edited by a moderator:

My city had done 38kms. That was way too high compared to other citys which wont exceed 8Kms. The reason they gave was testing it. Dont think that they are honest.

Anything under 100 should be okay. Calculate it your own way depending on the city you are living in, the workshop location, the dealership location, delivery place. Check for any abuses on the vehicle if in doubt (may be the vehicle is used for TD purpose if ODO reads more).

Anything under 100 should be okay. Calculate it your own way depending on the city you are living in, the workshop location, the dealership location, delivery place. Check for any abuses on the vehicle if in doubt (may be the vehicle is used for TD purpose if ODO reads more).
+ 1 Hari

It shud not be rocket science for us educated folks, just be a little smart [;)]

There is no hard and fast rule of 10 or 20 kms it can be even 200, only the reason needs to be solid.

Many times the dealerships get the cars from their own or other dealerships located at different places under the pressure of customer to get the car on a specific date(though the customers most of the time pay some amount for that), just a month back in the wedding season I came across a swift which was driven from Dehradun to Meerut.
ALL THE DEALER NEED IS TO GIVE A CORRECT EXPLANATION...NONE ELSE.

BUT YES, KEEP AWAY FROM ANY CAR WHICH HAS EXACT '0' READING.(Leaving some which have the one-time-reset odo like XUV)

As a matter of fact most of the car companies allow deliveries of new cars only to the stock yard and not to the show rooms

If the showroom and stock yard are conjoined there is no chance of your car being driven for more than 15 kms (strictly for PDI by the dealership) this goes good with 99% of the cars and sometimes when there is a lack of test drive vehicle and if the sales feel they have a prospective customer they do offer new cars for test drive but not for more than 1 customer

All this knowledge is through the experience of my friend who works for a famous car company as assistant sales- south zone

In your case, if i were you i would not accept anything more than 20 kms on the ODO which means its definitely used for something other than a PDI purpose and you have every right to reject it, but 90% of the customers accepts it - because its a joyous moment [:D] and most of such facts might be ingnored by the them

Last edited:
@datuca ,tell us,which car,which city,which dealer ?at what stage the point buying process is?
So that you can get to the point answer.

Noisy

Suspended
My Swift had 37/38 Kms on the odo (the car was delivered to home), Ritz had 24 Kms (the dealer said they did a drive also inside the showroom to check for any noises). My Activa had 12 Kms on the odo. I think these figures are normal, right?

+1 to Swift&Furious. It's a joyous moment and most car buyers don't enquire about the odo since they just want the keys of the much awaited car in their hands!

Top Bottom