16” Alloys For Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI (NEED HELP)

Thread Starter #1
Hello,
As i planned few months back, now i upgraded my wheels/tyres.

Reason for change :
-> Minor accident , in which alloy wheels took majority of the blow.
-> Alloys looking very old/scratched
-> Better Braking which i always want. (65 profiles slips while braking hard)

before: 195 65 r15
now : 225 50 zr16

Wheel specs:

Brand : Gmax Alloys.
Width : 7J
Dia : 16 inch
Offset : 35

Tyre specs:

Brand : Michelin
Model : Pilot Sport 3 (PS3)
Size : 225 50 ZR16

Everything seemed fine when the speed was below 100 kmh. Excellent Handling and more than Excellent Braking was very evident. I was expecting a stiffer ride. But it was similar to the 65 profile tyres in terms of comfort.

THE PROBLEM

As i took the car to the highways, again it took corners very sweetly, but when i took the car past 120 kmph , Steering started to shiver, and the whole car started to wobble . 2 days before changing the wheel/tyre i was doing about 140-160's comfortably with the 195 65's. So suspension is not the culprit.

Most of the sites say, WHEEL BALANCING should be the issue. But there are one or two cases where the wheel/tyre weight is also a problem. That was the reason i didn't go for 17 inchers. But does that still happen in 16 inch wheel? Or 225 is too much for Octy?? but i had seen 225 45 r 17 with no issues.. [confused]

Experts, please shed some more light on this.

Will post the photos soon.

Re: 16” Alloys For Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI (NEED HELP)

dude 205/55-16 is right tyre upgrade for octy. better get wheel balancing done if thats gonna help you!!
Exactly!!!205/55 or even better 205/60 would be best for handling and comfortable ride. With 225/50 you can say goodbye to your suspension in no time if you frequently do triple digit speeds.

freakdude.

225 sounds good to me , wider the better, having said that don't forget you will lose mileage . am not sure about suspension .

Freakdude , how will the wider tyres affect suspensions ? I don't know that

225 sounds good to me , wider the better, having said that don't forget you will lose mileage . am not sure about suspension .

Bro, you missed that this is India and we have roads in potholes [evil]. With 225 flat rubber even the minutest undulations would be picked up and more so at high speeds it's the suspension that would take the beating (along with the passengers).

freakdude.

Thread Starter #7

Bro, you missed that this is India and we have roads in potholes [evil]. With 225 flat rubber even the minutest undulations would be picked up and more so at high speeds it's the suspension that would take the beating (along with the passengers).

freakdude.
Thanks for your feedback.

But as codename said, 225 50 is not too bad as it seems to be. (when you read a 50 profile it sounds insane but its not). 205 55 and 225 50 have the same side wall height(almost with .1 % difference). If the suspension will be fine with 205 55, then it should be fine with 225 50 too.

Regards,
Jeno.

Thread Starter #8

I think you need hub centric rings. Get that installed.

Before that, check balancing and alignment.

Hub Centric Rings? According to what i read in google, it is a ring to avoid gap between wheel and axle/disc. Can you please give me more information about it? Do you have experience using it?

Thanks
Jeno

Yes, I have aftermarket alloys in my Punto and the steering used to wobble as I cross 100. Got hub centric rings installed on all the wheels and the issue is solved. After that I have driven my car to 170 without any issues.

It is normal and many cars/alloys can have this slight irritant.

However, in my car - only the steering used to shiver, not the whole car.

Thread Starter #10

Yes, I have aftermarket alloys in my Punto and the steering used to wobble as I cross 100. Got hub centric rings installed on all the wheels and the issue is solved. After that I have driven my car to 170 without any issues.

It is normal and many cars/alloys can have this slight irritant.

However, in my car - only the steering used to shiver, not the whole car.
Thanks for your quick and valuable reply.

To be more clear about my issue.

till 120 kmph - absolutely no shake.
120-140 kmph - steering shivers.
140-160 kmph - Your foot rest will shake along with steering.
160+ - insane shaking. I took it till 175 to check if the issue is speed range specific.

But the result was, as speed increases , vibrations increases.
(I did this test because some ppl had issues only in certain range of speed like 100-120kmph).

Regards,
Jeno.

freakdude.
haha well yeah your right too but bro if its 50 its not that flat

I am running 235/R18/40 in australia and ride is absolutely fine. so I guess 50s arent that flat .

@ jeno - you are not going to take a risk of driving that car to 120+ man. dont !

Thread Starter #12

haha well yeah your right too but bro if its 50 its not that flat

I am running 235/R18/40 in australia and ride is absolutely fine. so I guess 50s arent that flat .

@ jeno - you are not going to take a risk of driving that car to 120+ man. dont !
LOL.. codename. I wont take it above 120 kmph again for sure. I took it till 170s just to check if the wobbling continues. As i said before , there are some cases where wobbling stops after 140kmph. [confused]

Regards,
Jeno.

Yeah if your car wobbles at 100, it wont do the same at 120-130 thats how it is.
just need wheel alignment and balancing .

Thread Starter #14

Even though , the high speed wobbling issue is yet to be fixed/checked. I balanced all wheels again, and going to test it coming weekend. And then if wobbling still exists, i would try what Raj_5004 suggested(hub centric rings). And more ideas are welcome.

And here goes the pictures of the alloy.

IMAG1213.jpg

IMAG1214.jpg

IMAG1215.jpg

IMAG1217.jpg

Regards,
Jeno.

Top Bottom