Maruti 800 Headlamp Upgrade - Need Help

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

Recently I got the bulbs replaced in my 800,now the batteyr gets drained everytime I use the car at night. New bulbs are 100/90, I have not touched the relay and the wiring. Please find below the pictures to give a clearer picture.

What should I do next? I have already given the battery for charging at a local shop yesterday and got it fixed. everytime I drive at night the battery low signal on dahsboard is faintly lit.

Please help me guys[confused]
Photo0434.jpg

Photo0435.jpg

Photo0436.jpg

Photo0429.jpg

Photo0439.jpg

Photo0437.jpg

Photo0438.jpg

Photo0441.jpg

Please suggest the specs of any new part to be added/ replaced.

can you check the old bulbs are 60/50 or 100/90. if the old bulbs are 60/50 then that is the reason for battery draining. Plus incase you want to keep higher bulbs you need harness kit and may be re wiring required.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Hi Vinayan,
I dont have the old bulbs, Now the battery is almost dead and car doesnt start.
Last night I had been to an auto electrician near my house and he inspected (visually) & started the car. By the noise the car makes while starting he said, it could be a fault with the dynamo (alternator I guess) and was also mentioning it might cost upto 1K (including labour to fix it).

He also mentioned, if I have to continue with the newer 100/90 bulbs then a cut out is required in the existing wiring. Not sure what that means[confused]

This is not the problem with your bulbs/ relay its due to the alternator (dynamo).

It is not able to generate the power which your car requires get it checked ..

Last edited:
Almost clear case of alternator not charging the battery, also not giving power when required and hence the car uses the battery current and drains.

Check or replace alternator . Since 800's alternator is cheaper than any car's , you could buy one new , complete peace of mind.
Mgp alternator cost more than tvs alternator and inside mgp you will find tvs make :)

try to get from a tvs dealer at your place!

Thread Starter #7
Thank you so much guys, will remove the existing alternator today.
I will clean it, check for any wire/connector issues and will also post a few pictures.

How much would a new alternator cost for 800?
Will any other car alternator fit (for better charging etc)? I plan to fit sub woofer in the near future

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
ilango[speed thirst];145109 said:
Almost clear case of alternator not charging the battery, also not giving power when required and hence the car uses the battery current and drains.

Check or replace alternator . Since 800's alternator is cheaper than any car's , you could buy one new , complete peace of mind.
Mgp alternator cost more than tvs alternator and inside mgp you will find tvs make :)

try to get from a tvs dealer at your place!
Thanks, now that is something I totally missed. i assumed that MGP will be from some other OEM.

Thread Starter #10
I managed to remove the alternator today, also noticed that the belt had torn in a few places and few deep cracks too. Could this be just a belt related issue? I am open for replacing belt & alternator. As I certainly dont want to repair a 16yr old alternator, replacing seems to be a better solution.

Photo0486.jpg

Photo0489.jpg

Photo0491.jpg

Photo0495.jpg

Photo0497.jpg

Photo0504.jpg
What is this part called? without these headlamp looks odd [:)]

That is called as wrap around headlamp. Or just remove the other one and take it as a sample..

Better change the alternator instead of repairing it..

Last edited:
Hi ss80,

I have replaced my Head lamps from 55/60 to 100/90 with a new relay fixed to extract the power from the battery. Every thing is working fine and my head lamps are giving much more power of flash on the roads comparing to the older one. [:)]

Thread Starter #13
Took the alternator to the auto electrician last night, he opened up everything (even the coils) and later found some soldering inside the alternator had given up causing earthing (short circuit) I guess. Charged 200 for battery charging & soldering + a little cleaning of coils.

Tonight I need to collect the battery and fit back everything as it was, hope everything works fine. Fingers are crossed[:)]

The electrician suggested to fix a new wiring & relay for the 100/90 bulbs to work. Cost of the brand he suggested is 550/- (exclusive of labour)
Is it okay to go ahead?

Thread Starter #14
That is called as wrap around headlamp. Or just remove the other one and take it as a sample..

Better change the alternator instead of repairing it..
I went ahead with the repair as it was costing very less to fix it, I am actually saving money for the boosters (You have also installed in your car) as the brakes are pretty scary after 30kmhr. Till now not a single skid mark at any speed. So priority is brakes & I need your help in that.

Top Bottom