Building a Custom SUV

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends
I want to get a custom suv built at Maya puri.Actually I went there with a friend who is looking for an jeep.after seeing the workmanship of the mechanic this idea creep in my mind.I want to buy an old model ford endeavor 2005 to 2008 and fit with a brand new mhawk engine.The owner of garage told that the vehicle will get new registration as custom vehicle for 10 years.Plz don't laugh on me and share you views.I wana know :----

1.Where I can buy new diesel engine?

2.Is it feasible to replace engine ? I don't want to go solely on the advice of the mechanic.

3.Have any one bought custom jeep from Maya Puri market?How is the experience?

I wanna built some thing like ford raptor or Chevy Tahoe.Need your support

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi friends
I want to get a custom suv built at Maya puri.Actually I went there with a friend who is looking for an jeep.after seeing the workmanship of the mechanic this idea creep in my mind.I want to buy an old model ford endeavor 2005 to 2008 and fit with a brand new mhawk engine.The owner of garage told that the vehicle will get new registration as custom vehicle for 10 years.Plz don't laugh�� on me and share you views.I wana know :----

2.Is it feasible to replace engine ? I don't want to go solely on the advice of the mechanic.

I wanna built some thing like ford raptor or Chevy Tahoe.Need your support��
If you are planning to drive on public road with such a vehicle, according to Rule 126 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, you have to test your vehicle at Vehicle Research and Development Establishment of the Ministry of Defence of Government of India or Automobile Research Association of India, Pune or the Central Machinery Testing and Training Institute, Budani or the Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun. You have to submit at least 4 prototypes for testing and many tests (like steering Impact test) are destructive, so you won't get back the prototype. Without the test certificate, you can't register your vehicle for driving on public roads.

Thread Starter #4
If you are planning to drive on public road with such a vehicle, according to Rule 126 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, you have to test your vehicle at Vehicle Research and Development Establishment of the Ministry of Defence of Government of India or Automobile Research Association of India, Pune or the Central Machinery Testing and Training Institute, Budani or the Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun. You have to submit at least 4 prototypes for testing and many tests (like steering Impact test) are destructive, so you won't get back the prototype. Without the test certificate, you can't register your vehicle for driving on public roads.

Thanks for your reply,

The garage owner told that all scraped army jeeps are being modified and registered with RTO like this.Basically the vehicle make remains same with new engine.RTO issue certificate after inspection of vehicle.
I will check again. I my self seen him installing an nissan engine in a mahindra.

Hi friends
I want to get a custom suv built at Maya puri.Actually I went there with a friend who is looking for an jeep.after seeing the workmanship of the mechanic this idea creep in my mind.I want to buy an old model ford endeavor 2005 to 2008 and fit with a brand new mhawk engine.The owner of garage told that the vehicle will get new registration as custom vehicle for 10 years.Plz don't laugh�� on me and share you views.I wana know :----

I had a similar khujli (itch) many moons away, however, coming to your query, Mayapuri jeep market can do any dream you need (they can transplant SRK'S head on salman's body).

I would suggest you Dabwali Jeep's as a token, (no 4*4 though) to then go in for a Mayapuri full-on restoration. Try and locate a South Indian mechanic (ganesh or something) he was supposed to be a master.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod

Thanks for your reply,

The garage owner told that all scraped army jeeps are being modified and registered with RTO like this.Basically the vehicle make remains same with new engine.RTO issue certificate after inspection of vehicle.
I will check again. I my self seen him installing an nissan engine in a mahindra.
Anything is possible in India if you have an 'arrangement' with RTO [:)] The engine number will differ for different manufacturers and the VIN usually contains one or two digit about type of engine. So technically engine from different manufacturer is not legal as neither VIN (and check digit) nor engine number will match the rest of the vehicle. But as long as it is registered by RTO, you have nothing to worry[:D]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Buddy dont do it.
The hassle, Techincal as well as legal is not worth it. India is not mod-friendly place. Even something like Wider tyres sticking out, Few lights here and there will attract unwanted Attention/ Cops.
I am really disheartened that Greasemonkey type fad does not work here. Maybe due to outated Rules and legal reasons.

1st gen Endevour (2003~2007) is quite a beast. Just buy it. Mod it a little. Maybe throw in a remap. And enjoy.

1. You can order from Mahindra and Mahindra via dealership.
2. Feasible , but the place you are referring would do a jugaad job.
2. I saw few modded ones , looks good not sure how they drive. They can covert old army reject jeeps to Thar / Bolero / G Wagen. But mechanical and engine may not be always compatible.

If you really want to try , my advise would be buy used Gypsy and Mod it from there.

Thread Starter #9
I had a similar khujli (itch) many moons away, however, coming to your query, Mayapuri jeep market can do any dream you need (they can transplant SRK'S head on salman's body).

I would suggest you Dabwali Jeep's as a token, (no 4*4 though) to then go in for a Mayapuri full-on restoration. Try and locate a South Indian mechanic (ganesh or something) he was supposed to be a master.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod
Thanks vinod,
Is dabwali jeeps are at Maya puri only?
Where I can source a new engine?

Thread Starter #10
Buddy dont do it.
The hassle, Techincal as well as legal is not worth it. India is not mod-friendly place. Even something like Wider tyres sticking out, Few lights here and there will attract unwanted Attention/ Cops.
I am really disheartened that Greasemonkey type fad does not work here. Maybe due to outated Rules and legal reasons.

1st gen Endevour (2003~2007) is quite a beast. Just buy it. Mod it a little. Maybe throw in a remap. And enjoy.
I do agree about Endeavor capabilities, However the problem is the ban on old diesel vehicles

Visit Dabwali with your own endeavour and rest they will do.

Dabwali is a place where you can get to see not only jeeps, they do engine swaps every day for most of the vehicles.

But make sure that the endeavour you buy got a nice gearbox rest everything can be done in Dabwali.

Let me know if you need any information as my hometown is Bathinda and Dabwali is just 20kms away.

A small piece of advice: if you want to do like Chevy you showed then go for Tata xenon or captiva and modify them

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Visit Dabwali with your own endeavour and rest they will do.

Dabwali is a place where you can get to see not only jeeps, they do engine swaps every day for most of the vehicles.

But make sure that the endeavour you buy got a nice gearbox rest everything can be done in Dabwali.

Let me know if you need any information as my hometown is Bathinda and Dabwali is just 20kms away.

A small piece of advice: if you want to do like Chevy you showed then go for Tata xenon or captiva and modify them
Thanks buddy,
I belong to Haryana, visited dabwali around two decades back.But at that time this stuff was out of reach so never tried.Infact I am also thinking of modifying a xenon.Do you think Tata also customize vehicles like manindra

Thanks buddy,
I belong to Haryana, visited dabwali around two decades back.But at that time this stuff was out of reach so never tried.Infact I am also thinking of modifying a xenon.Do you think Tata also customize vehicles like manindra
Nope, I never heard anything about Tata in this modification kind of stuff however Xenon can be a good platform to transform it into a good looking beast.

I saw a same kind of treatment done on Xenon in Ludhiana a year ago. I would say get a used Xenon and do the modifications on the platform by the help from Dabwali guys. You can source parts from Meerut of old veficles from Meerut disposable market pretty cheap

Or even a DC100 concept can be done on Sumo grande as well

It would be good if you post your requirements/desires as what would you like to have in the vehicle and the budget then good advice can be shared by the members

Top Bottom