Maruti Suzuki 800 (1999) Rebuild

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

I recently did a rebuild on my maruti 800 (1999) including engine, carburettor, steering, brakes and etc. Hoping to post pics and details since i think that will be helpful to someone out here looking forward to do a such DIY. I got some quick tips & ideas looking through some of the posts here too. So this will be useful to someone else as it was to me.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

20170731_101057.jpg

IMG_20171110_122729644.jpg

It's a shame that you didn't take any photos of the car before any disassembly. The only ones I've got are after the engine and transmission were taken out of the car.

Prepared the engine bay for painting.

IMG_20171110_180505120.jpg

Good luck in your DIY. Please do give more details and photos for benefit of others.
What is the odometer reading?
Taking out Engine is not a easy job, a tough task, so also the Transmission and also the carburetor overhaul.

Thread Starter #3
Hello everyone,
Good luck in your DIY. Please do give more details and photos for benefit of others.
What is the odometer reading?
Taking out Engine is not a easy job, a tough task, so also the Transmission and also the carburetor overhaul.
Thanks for the reply Shenoy
Ok, I'll start with the details of the car.

Car - Maruti 800 (1999)
Engine - F8B
Chassis - SB308
Transmission - 4 speed fwd.
Carburettor - Mikuni Ucal
Brakes - KBX units

She has done a quite bit of running,

Odometer reading - 88122 km

I'd say condition of the car to be average when I got it. But it should be expected considering that it is a almost 18 years old.

Some positive things about it,

1. No big corrosion anywhere ( there are two spots near the driver foot well and between front/ rear seats need to be tinkered)
2. Rear seat is split type
3. Wasn't too expensive compared to other cars of similar condition

Negatives,

1. AC not functioning !!!
2. Worn tyres
3. Dash board's been messed up with a paint which has begun to peel off
4. Seat leather torn at some places
5. Broken park lamps

Most of the stuff related to engine has already done by me. I'll post them accordingly.

Thanks.

Thread Starter #4
Actually engine /transmission removal and installation is the only situation where you need a little assistant from someone else if you don't have a chain blocks and an engine hoist.

Other than handling weight, it's only wrenching the nuts and bolts off of engine/ gearbox mounts and disconnecting the wires, cables and hoses of peripherals.

I didn't have a chain block and used a nylon fabric flat belt and an iron rod to lift the assembly with the help of my brother. ( could've reduced the weight if we had drained the oil sump and the gearbox, but we forgot [lol] )

After the engine removal, i cleaned and painted the engine bay. Here are some pics. IMG_20171111_222045624.jpg
After sanding down with 600 grit wet sand paper, applied a coat of primer to start with.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
I tried to get the original color by mixing two colors, since original was not available.

Very impressive task.

Did you use a spray gun and a compressor to paint you Engine and the Engine Bay side?

Seems you are in Kerala, because majority of keralites always try to maintain their cars. If any MGP dealer is in your place, you can get all the original parts.

I have Maruti -800 DX 1998 model and maintained well to the best of my ability for almost 19 1/2 yrs as of now, in spite of my old age. The odo reading is about 55000 kms.

You can read some of my posts under thread - Maruti 800 Technical issues and Solutions as regards the Engine oil flush, carburetor overhaul and also good news for Maruti owners as regards gas for AC, replacement by new Tyres and also post at " under body anti - rust coating and query which will give you some ideas about this task too.

Wish to track your restoration work from time to time.

Take care.
PS : please do share the parts numbers when you buy any new MGP parts and also you can try to maintain a record of cost aspects and share too .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Hello,

Very impressive task.

Did you use a spray gun and a compressor to paint you Engine and the Engine Bay side?

Seems you are in Kerala, because majority of keralites always try to maintain their cars. If any MGP dealer is in your place, you can get all the original parts.

I have Maruti -800 DX 1998 model and maintained well to the best of my ability for almost 19 1/2 yrs as of now, in spite of my old age. The odo reading is about 55000 kms.

You can read some of my posts under thread - Maruti 800 Technical issues and Solutions as regards the Engine oil flush, carburetor overhaul and also good news for Maruti owners as regards gas for AC, replacement by new Tyres and also post at " under body anti - rust coating and query which will give you some ideas about this task too.

Wish to track your restoration work from time to time.

Take care.
PS : please do share the parts numbers when you buy any new MGP parts and also you can try to maintain a record of cost aspects and share too .
Thank you VR Shenoy for your compliments.

Yes, i did use a spray gun with a compressor to do the paint job.
Actually I am from Sri Lanka. Here we do have geniune MGP parts sold by authorized dealers. As cars are expensive in general, so are the parts. It did cost me around 7 lakhs ( 3 lakhs inr) for this car.
Please let me know what would be the price if I'd bought this car in India?
Yes i saw some of your threads and saw your maruti as well. That looks fabulous. Almost like as it has just come out of the factory. Great work !!!

Thread Starter #7
Then i began to work on the engine. Here are some pics of it.
IMG_20171113_164950512.jpg

You can see the flywheel, crank pulley, clutch plate as well as the pressure plate sitting next to the main block.
IMG_20171113_165132131.jpg
IMG_20171113_165255224.jpg
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Thread Starter #8
Before engine work, i disassembled the steering rack and pinion assembly and found out that both tie rods' ball joints were worn badly. So i replaced both the tie rods with new ones. Cleaned out old grease out of the system and filled with new. Here is a pic with the new tie rods. IMG_20171117_214540615.jpg

And the rack is back to the place where it belongs to.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Thread Starter #12
IMG_20171118_091035348.jpg

IMG_20171118_091124318.jpg

It is very important to keep items in order as they were in the engine before the disassembly. When they gonna get assembled back order should be kept. So i kept valves, rocker arms, valve springs, spring retainers, pistons and etc. in order.

IMG_20171118_091210132.jpg

Pistons were standard size.

IMG_20171118_091256717.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Hello,

Thank you VR Shenoy for your compliments.

Yes, i did use a spray gun with a compressor to do the paint job.
Actually I am from Sri Lanka. Here we do have geniune MGP parts sold by authorized dealers. As cars are expensive in general, so are the parts. It did cost me around 7 lakhs ( 3 lakhs inr) for this car.
Please let me know what would be the price if I'd bought this car in India?
Yes i saw some of your threads and saw your maruti as well. That looks fabulous. Almost like as it has just come out of the factory. Great work !!!
I am surprised to know that Maruti cars costs so much in Sri Lanka, just like in Argentina.

In India, there is no much resale value for old Maruti cars with carburetors. But Maruti Carburetor cars are very cheap to maintain here compared to other cars.

M- 800 DX model of 1998 or 1999 would be avialble for anything from Rs 55000 to 65000( Indian Rupees) but most of them have accident records and not maintained properly and changed at least 2- 3 hands. Many old persons like me and also some enthusiastic youngsters still have liking for these old cars.

Since I am retired person, maintaining car is one of my hobbies. My usage is very less for the past 4 yrs, anything from 1000 - 1200 per Annum. This year only I spent maximum amount to keep my car more fit with Engine oil flush etc etc , Under body anti rust coating, replacing the Rear Bumper and Head lights, replacing Rear Shocks, new seat covers ( I always prefer white ), Overhauling of Carburetor and finally restarting my AC after 8-9 yrs ( Please do read A separate thread on this), and also replacing all the 4 nos tyres by Firestone Tubeless etc. Yet this is very less compared to any other make car. Most of the details are available in the thread - Maruti 800 technical issues and solutions from page no 76 till 91.

I hope when you restore your car you will be a proud owner in your town. In fact with the task you have undertaken, you will make the car more fit like anew one.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
60,000 gets you cars like the old Baleno in Mumbai [surprise]
M800 is a bit cheaper in Mumbai- around 35000 but quite abused ones, nothing like the cars youll own

PS- Im really impressed, nostalgic and inspired seeing your M800s in such immactulate condition and restored
Though I never got to drive ours , I learned on M800 and it has a special place in my heart
A relic of Indian automotive history and truly a pleasure to see one
Was M800 as special in Sri Lanka? Was it officially sold there too?

Thread Starter #15
I am surprised to know that Maruti cars costs so much in Sri Lanka, just like in Argentina.

In India, there is no much resale value for old Maruti cars with carburetors. But Maruti Carburetor cars are very cheap to maintain here compared to other cars.

M- 800 DX model of 1998 or 1999 would be avialble for anything from Rs 55000 to 65000( Indian Rupees) but most of them have accident records and not maintained properly and changed at least 2- 3 hands. Many old persons like me and also some enthusiastic youngsters still have liking for these old cars.

Since I am retired person, maintaining car is one of my hobbies. My usage is very less for the past 4 yrs, anything from 1000 - 1200 per Annum. This year only I spent maximum amount to keep my car more fit with Engine oil flush etc etc , Under body anti rust coating, replacing the Rear Bumper and Head lights, replacing Rear Shocks, new seat covers ( I always prefer white ), Overhauling of Carburetor and finally restarting my AC after 8-9 yrs ( Please do read A separate thread on this), and also replacing all the 4 nos tyres by Firestone Tubeless etc. Yet this is very less compared to any other make car. Most of the details are available in the thread - Maruti 800 technical issues and solutions from page no 76 till 91.

I hope when you restore your car you will be a proud owner in your town. In fact with the task you have undertaken, you will make the car more fit like anew one.

Good luck to you.
Thank you sir,

Yes, since maruti cars are imported, tax rates are very high and hence the price too. New alto 800 costs about 20 lakhs ( 8.40 lakhs inr) here.
You've got some really cool threads on m800 which i should read. Specially the AC repair one is a must read before i begin to work on the ac system.

Top Bottom