The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Accessories & Modifications (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/)
-   -   Shifting From 55/60 To 100/90 Watt Headlamp Bulbs (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/2923-shifting-55-60-100-90-watt-headlamp-bulbs.html)

amiti 23rd December 2010 09:00 PM

Shifting From 55/60 To 100/90 Watt Headlamp Bulbs

All,

I had asked this question in my ownership thread of i10. Today I visited a shop and enquired about the exact process.

The process looks quite simple except for one thing attaching the relay unit. I am confused on this part as the wireman said he needs to drill a hole to take the wiring harness in and one more drill for attaching the relay unit. When I said NO to drilling he said he can fit on an existing screw. However first drill /cut is necessary on the back cap so the wiring harness can enter behind the bulb area.

Just wanted to know whether its alright to fix one of the existing screw.

They had original hella wiring harness with relay unit and hella 90/100 w bulbs.? any other choices?

Though tempted to go for 90/100, I will wait for some more time based on your responses.

quitefar 23rd December 2010 11:23 PM

not sure about drilling but i got the same setup done in my car last week. the relay kit helps ensure that the battery is not loaded while using these more bright cum power consuming bulbs.
the whole process just took 10 mins where the relay wiring is just connect to both the headlights and the inturn the relay unit is connected to the battery. also the relay unit is attached in a section safely so that it doesnt move around!

ilango[speed thirst] 24th December 2010 12:36 AM

To take the wiring harness , one need to drill in i10 and santro , or for whole hyundai cars.
other have holders behind the cap.
try making smalles one as possible and if you can paste gums like m-seal over them covering the car - diy

sgirish 24th December 2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilango[speed thirst] (Post 61668)
To take the wiring harness , one need to drill in i10 and santro , or for whole hyundai cars.
other have holders behind the cap.
try making smalles one as possible and if you can paste gums like m-seal over them covering the car - diy

Hi Ilango,

This was very informative. I always thought that a relay-harness if done properly needed no cutting of the original harness. If you do happen to have any pix for the 'Hyundai' fix, that would be great.

Cheers [cheers]

ilango[speed thirst] 24th December 2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgirish (Post 61683)
Hi Ilango,

This was very informative. I always thought that a relay-harness if done properly needed no cutting of the original harness. If you do happen to have any pix for the 'Hyundai' fix, that would be great.

Cheers [cheers]

i mean the cut should be done in the rear cap of head lamp.
wiring harness will not be cut!

sorry we dont have picture of this works!

para_7k 30th December 2010 03:39 PM

I think the cut should be done to accomodate the Ceramic holder. This holder is required to withstand the heat generated by 100/90. The OE holders cannot withstand the heat.

A friend of mine reported water entering into the assembly after he did this change. They did tape the cut area extensively to stop water but water finds its way through minute gaps.

I was almost going to get the 100/90 installed in my i10 but stopped. I'm managing with Philips Xtreme power as of now :(

deville_56 30th December 2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by para_7k (Post 62386)
I think the cut should be done to accomodate the Ceramic holder. This holder is required to withstand the heat generated by 100/90. The OE holders cannot withstand the heat.

A friend of mine reported water entering into the assembly after he did this change. They did tape the cut area extensively to stop water but water finds its way through minute gaps.

I was almost going to get the 100/90 installed in my i10 but stopped. I'm managing with Philips Xtreme power as of now :(

There are wiring kits that requires no cut in OEM wiring, just plug and play. They got fuse, relay, good high-gauge wire, heavy duty sleeve, and ceramic holders. You just need to plug them to OEM holder, fix the relay some where, connect directly to battery terminal [fuse goes right there], and connect to headlight. Simple :D. Full kit cost from 450 -1000 depending on the contents (with/without fuse, relay, ceramic holder; wire quality, etc.)
__________________________________________________ _______________________

I have been running with Phillips Essential Vision 100/90 for over 3 years without any issues on stock setup until yesterday, suddenly my left high beam stopped working and I was wondering where to get spare of the same as the dealer stopped stocking Phillips Essential Vision. I thought of adjusting with the old stock 55/60 till I find some Phillips EV 100/90s, but I could not remove the holder and it was melt sticking on to the bulb and the real culprit was a burnt holder and not the bulb. Removed the headlight, then the holder with bulb and managed to take it off the bulb, tried another bulb and confirmed the holder is dead and EV bulb was fine. Removed the molten plastic off the terminal and it was working fine.

Bought ceramic holders. Fixed it. Had to cut wires as I bought only holders and not the entire kit and since car's warranty is over no worries. Now everything back to normal.

[OT:
1. Ceramic holder MRP - 75, selling price 60. Miscommunication between sales guy and cashier => I got two holders for 60 bucks [evil]

2. Removed bumper and headlight for fixing holders and relocated the horn position and was on the way to drop friend's uncle at airport. Night patrolling strict to check stolen cars, terrorist intrusion, smuggling etc etc particularly in the NH and bypass and airport road. Dropped him and returned home and only now I realized I forgot to fix the front number plate [frustration] ]

sgirish 30th December 2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by para_7k (Post 62386)

Quote:

Originally Posted by deville_56 (Post 62403)
There are wiring kits that requires no cut in OEM wiring, just plug and play. They got fuse, relay, good high-gauge wire, heavy duty sleeve, and ceramic holders. You just need to plug them to OEM holder, fix the relay some where, connect directly to battery terminal [fuse goes right there], and connect to headlight. Simple [:D]. Full kit cost from 450 -1000 depending on the contents (with/without fuse, relay, ceramic holder; wire quality, etc.)

The water proofing ability and the warranty issues were a couple of my worries. Thanks for the clarifications @para_7k & @deville_56. Any particular brands of mention for the relay-kit purchase?

Cheers [thumbsup]

para_7k 30th December 2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deville_56 (Post 62403)
There are wiring kits that requires no cut in OEM wiring, just plug and play. They got fuse, relay, good high-gauge wire, heavy duty sleeve, and ceramic holders. You just need to plug them to OEM holder, fix the relay some where, connect directly to battery terminal [fuse goes right there], and connect to headlight. Simple [:D]. Full kit cost from 450 -1000 depending on the contents (with/without fuse, relay, ceramic holder; wire quality, etc.)
__________________________________________________ _______________________

I have been running with Phillips Essential Vision 100/90 for over 3 years without any issues on stock setup until yesterday, suddenly my left high beam stopped working and I was wondering where to get spare of the same as the dealer stopped stocking Phillips Essential Vision. I thought of adjusting with the old stock 55/60 till I find some Phillips EV 100/90s, but I could not remove the holder and it was melt sticking on to the bulb and the real culprit was a burnt holder and not the bulb. Removed the headlight, then the holder with bulb and managed to take it off the bulb, tried another bulb and confirmed the holder is dead and EV bulb was fine. Removed the molten plastic off the terminal and it was working fine.

Bought ceramic holders. Fixed it. Had to cut wires as I bought only holders and not the entire kit and since car's warranty is over no worries. Now everything back to normal.

[OT:
1. Ceramic holder MRP - 75, selling price 60. Miscommunication between sales guy and cashier => I got two holders for 60 bucks [evil]

2. Removed bumper and headlight for fixing holders and relocated the horn position and was on the way to drop friend's uncle at airport. Night patrolling strict to check stolen cars, terrorist intrusion, smuggling etc etc particularly in the NH and bypass and airport road. Dropped him and returned home and only now I realized I forgot to fix the front number plate [frustration] ]

We were discussing about cutting somewhere near the lamp holder and not cutting the wires. :)

You're right about the wiring kit. It's just remove the old and plug the new.

Is your car the Estilo. Your car's HL assembly maybe able to accomodate the Ceramic holder without cutting anywhere but the i10's HL assembly cannot [frustration]

My Friend uses a WagonR type 3 and it took ceramic holders without cutting anywhere.[thumbswink]

@sgirish,

I would recommend the following:

Roots wiring kit + Relay - Price 650-700
Philips Rally H4 100/90 - Price 400 for 2 bulbs
Ceramic Holder - Any brand - 75 to 80 for one holder.

amiti 31st December 2010 02:07 PM

Para, how is the performance of philips extreme, is it worth than stock headlamps for i10? Do let me know as I am also against cutting of cap to accomodate the wiring harness.

para_7k 3rd January 2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 62481)
Para, how is the performance of philips extreme, is it worth than stock headlamps for i10? Do let me know as I am also against cutting of cap to accomodate the wiring harness.

Amiti, Philips Xtreme powers have been good for various driving conditions including city and highway.

I'll try to post some pics for you.

amiti 4th January 2011 08:59 PM

Awaiting pictures of light conditions using philips xtreme

para_7k 5th January 2011 09:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 62901)
Awaiting pictures of light conditions using philips xtreme

Some pics. These are not new and about a year old. I'm just not finding enough time to get you the latest pics. I'll try my best to get them soon.

Street, Low Beam

Attachment 14725

Street, High Beam

Attachment 14724

Highway, Low Beam

Attachment 14723

Highway, High Beam

Attachment 14722

alok_student2000 6th January 2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 62481)

Whats the need of that cap??Y dont you just remove the cap?

cooldhaya 7th January 2011 12:00 PM

@ Paramesh i think you have to post comparison pictures to see the difference buddy.

para_7k 10th January 2011 07:16 AM

Re: Shifting from 55/60 to 100/90 watt headlamp bulbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 63280)
@ Paramesh i think you have to post comparison pictures to see the difference buddy.

Sorry dude, I do not have pics with the stock headlamps. But I can vouch for the quality of these lamps. They are way better than stock.

amiti 10th January 2011 11:37 AM

Alok, the cap needs to be cut, so as to get the wiring harness in. These might lead to leakage in future and not to mention dust as well.

Para, thanks for the pictures. Looks better than stock.

alok_student2000 10th January 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 63661)
Alok, the cap needs to be cut, so as to get the wiring harness in. These might lead to leakage in future and not to mention dust as well.

Para, thanks for the pictures. Looks better than stock.

What kind of leakage?is there any liquid filled in the headlight assembly??About the dust,u can see many cars like m800 and beat do not have any such kind of cap .

para_7k 10th January 2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok_student2000 (Post 63666)
What kind of leakage?is there any liquid filled in the headlight assembly??About the dust,u can see many cars like m800 and beat do not have any such kind of cap .

[:D] During rains or when the car is washed, there is a chance of water entering into the assembly when the cap is cut.

Other cars do not have a cap as that is how they are designed.

alok_student2000 10th January 2011 04:38 PM

That means you can never add higher wattage bulbs in the car?Is there any other solution??

para_7k 11th January 2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok_student2000 (Post 63682)
That means you can never add higher wattage bulbs in the car?Is there any other solution??

You can. Even if the area is cut, generous amount of tape can be added so that water does not enter.

I'm a person who likes to play safe, so I will not go ahead with cutting. It's upto the individual to decide.

Also, higher wattage bulbs produce more heat which will damage the reflectors in the long run, say 3-4 years.

alok_student2000 11th January 2011 09:34 AM

So i guess best option is to go for bulbs producing higher light with less heat like phillips bulbs??

para_7k 11th January 2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok_student2000 (Post 63726)
So i guess best option is to go for bulbs producing higher light with less heat like phillips bulbs??

Higher light with less heat ? Not sure what you mean. Whatever bulbs maybe will generate more heat if they are 100/90

Yes, Bulbs like Osram Night breaker and Philips Xtreme power produces more light in 60/55W. They still produce more heat than Original 60/55W (halonix) but not as alarming as 100/90.

amiti 12th January 2011 08:57 PM

Para, you are correct. I am also getting a feeling that I should opt for philips xtreme with similar wattage and more light output.

Doesnt make sense to cut any part of light cover.

Mods, since I am clear now, you can consider closing this thread unless anyone wants to add more.

Thank you all!!

sachinj12 13th January 2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by para_7k (Post 63724)

Also, higher wattage bulbs produce more heat which will damage the reflectors in the long run, say 3-4 years.

Best bet is to get a HID kit. Fakes are available for around 3-4k and original needs to be imported and cost up to 25k[evil].

If you are a regular highway cruiser, I strongly recommend the upgrade. The damage to reflector won't be much. They will turn dark a wee bit sooner, that's all. Worth IMO, your life is more important than a reflector.

amiti 30th October 2011 09:10 PM

Ok guys. Did one R&D few days ago(almost DIY, waited for any leaks due to water etc, found nothing) for fitting headlamps without cutting rear cap in i10 with help of one mechanic. I asked him to cut small part of plastic ring ( I repeat cut and not drill a hole through the cap). This has worked. Installed PMP relay and wiring harness. Bulbs Osram 90/100.

Illumination more than 55/60. But marginal increase. Did I do something wrong? Relay was PMP 12 v. But not expected output at night. Should I go for other bulbs? Not happy with the results.

@dhaya -- I broke my promise by going for 90/100 as due to more frequent highway drives it is really difficult with 55/60. But I don't use high beam in any case and keep my beam on middle position using headlamp leveler.

I will try and post few photos for same.

mumbaikar 30th October 2011 11:41 PM

@amiti
90/100 are not legal i suppose. Pls correct me if am wrong.
And they generate a lot of heat which lead to blackening/darkening of the head lamp unit.
It wil get smoked for free[;)]

deville_56 30th October 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mumbaikar (Post 110314)
@amiti
90/100 are not legal i suppose. Pls correct me if am wrong.
And they generate a lot of heat which lead to blackening/darkening of the head lamp unit.
It wil get smoked for free[;)]

Off road use only [evil]
Four years of 100/90 and reflector still chrome [;)]

SRINIWAS 15th December 2012 09:27 PM

Re: Shifting from 55/60 to 100/90 Watt Headlamp Bulbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 61644)
All,

I had asked this question in my ownership thread of i10. Today I visited a shop and enquired about the exact process.

The process looks quite simple except for one thing attaching the relay unit. I am confused on this part as the wireman said he needs to drill a hole to take the wiring harness in and one more drill for attaching the relay unit. When I said NO to drilling he said he can fit on an existing screw. However first drill /cut is necessary on the back cap so the wiring harness can enter behind the bulb area.

Just wanted to know whether its alright to fix one of the existing screw.

They had original hella wiring harness with relay unit and hella 90/100 w bulbs.? any other choices?

Though tempted to go for 90/100, I will wait for some more time based on your responses.

Hi All,

I am Sriniwas from bangalore and today I had fitted Philips Relay (harness) + Philips Rally Bulb 100/90 for Rs (1300/-) which includes fitting. No wire cut is required in my New Wagon R (maruthi)

thanks
Sriniwas[:)]

sankyp 25th December 2012 01:01 AM

Hey guys. Long time no post from me though I was visiting regularly.

A month ago, I upgraded to 100/90 bulbs for my Indica DLS. The previous 55/65 bulbs were adequate on roads with poor/ no lights but on highways even speeds of 60kmph were scary, what with HID and projector equipped cars zooming past. Things have not changed drastically and there is still much more room for improvement in visibility on highways.

I had not fitted a wiring kit for the new bulbs. Just upgraded the fuse to 30amps as Indica has relays under the dashboard and they seemed good enuf to handle the power drain (low cost). Now I plan to have 2 extra H4 reflectors with say my old 55/65 bulbs in it or may be 100/90 ones later to do duties on those special highway journeys. I want to knw if I shud go for a new wiring kit or just upgrade the fuse and relay (lower cost again) for the new configuration. Can anyone help me with a proper wiring diagram so I knw what the mechanic is doing is good for the car? Though I wud like HID kind of light, I am somehow not able to convince myself to buy those as not really sure of certainthings with HIDs. SO regular bulbs for now. Thanks in advance.

deville_56 25th December 2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sankyp (Post 240230)
Hey guys. Long time no post from me though I was visiting regularly.

A month ago, I upgraded to 100/90 bulbs for my Indica DLS. The previous 55/65 bulbs were adequate on roads with poor/ no lights but on highways even speeds of 60kmph were scary, what with HID and projector equipped cars zooming past. Things have not changed drastically and there is still much more room for improvement in visibility on highways.

I had not fitted a wiring kit for the new bulbs. Just upgraded the fuse to 30amps as Indica has relays under the dashboard and they seemed good enuf to handle the power drain (low cost). Now I plan to have 2 extra H4 reflectors with say my old 55/65 bulbs in it or may be 100/90 ones later to do duties on those special highway journeys. I want to knw if I shud go for a new wiring kit or just upgrade the fuse and relay (lower cost again) for the new configuration. Can anyone help me with a proper wiring diagram so I knw what the mechanic is doing is good for the car? Though I wud like HID kind of light, I am somehow not able to convince myself to buy those as not really sure of certainthings with HIDs. SO regular bulbs for now. Thanks in advance.

It's the holder that is gonna blow first, stock fuse will work fine. I got 100/90 on Estilo with no mods. Stock holder melted, but slowly [evil] Still running on stock setup, no upgraded wiring kit, just changed the burnt holder with ceramic ones. Planning for the kit for some time, vitamin M deficiency [:D]

sankyp 25th December 2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deville_56 (Post 240244)
It's the holder that is gonna blow first, stock fuse will work fine. I got 100/90 on Estilo with no mods. Stock holder melted, but slowly [evil] Still running on stock setup, no upgraded wiring kit, just changed the burnt holder with ceramic ones. Planning for the kit for some time, vitamin M deficiency [:D]

Vit M....huh....me too. I had to change the plastic holders long back as thet were melting and the wiring was coming off it even on stock bulbs. Got ceramic ones for Rs. 40 each and very happy.

Prakritij 15th July 2013 08:06 PM

Hi, I am not sure if my query belongs to this thread but its related.
My Maruti 800(Type 2, 1998 Model) is runninv on stock headlamps but the throw and intensity is not adequete for night drives. I have two options with me
1. Upgrade to 90/100 W bulbs
2. Fit Aux lamps on bull bar
Both options only for better night visibility.
Which one to go for?
If I go for option 1, I will need new wiring harness, etc..
But what all will I need if I go for option 2?

jarpickle 15th July 2013 10:22 PM

For option 1:You can fit 100/90 bulbs by using relays and wiring kits.Just make sure the bulb holders are made of Bakelite(chinni matti).Stay away from the PMP brand, rest like Bosch, Hella,Philips are all good.

For option 2:You can fix fog lamps on the front bumper since the fog lamps come with mounting brackets.No need for a bull bar.Try to get fog lamps with metal body and glass lens so you can use 100w bulbs with it.Try Neolite fog lamps.For 100w bulbs you need to go with a relay for the the fog lamps as well.

Headlamps are the major source of light so upgrading them should be the priority.If you feel that 100/90 is not enough you can go for fog lamps.

Just make sure you get yellow bulbs for both the headlamps and the fog lamps.White light is not good in the rain.

Prakritij 16th July 2013 08:56 AM

^^Thank You for the prompt reply[:)]
The shop I went to Yesterday for changing my wiper blades told me there's no need of relay or wiring when upgrading to 100/90 bulbs to which I felt he don't have any idea about the work and just doing his business. Will try to stay clear from him[;)]

deville_56 16th July 2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prakritij (Post 306806)
^^Thank You for the prompt reply[:)]
The shop I went to Yesterday for changing my wiper blades told me there's no need of relay or wiring when upgrading to 100/90 bulbs to which I felt he don't have any idea about the work and just doing his business. Will try to stay clear from him[;)]

Forget such morons, get yourself a wiring kit, 5 min DIY job. Full plug and play.

Prakritij 16th July 2013 09:42 AM

Hmmm. I am a big zero in Electricals, no idea how to plug.
Will order a Hella Wiring harness from ebay. Price INR890.
Will need some guidance from you guys. Hope there will be no strain on the battery.

amiti 16th July 2013 10:08 AM

My experience in light upgrades.

Head lamp upgrade will work only if the reflector is good. e.g. in case of i10 the reflector is very poor. even after upgrading to 90/100 the the difference was minimal. Only the heat levels increased.

However the ceramic holders, wiring harness and a good relay helps a lot. Do not put in the high wattage bulbs without a relay. Also be ready to get your plastic headlamp housing and reflectors darkened after few months of usage.

Ecoboost 16th July 2013 10:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I have upgraded my Estilo headlamps to Hella 120/110 4400K and park lamps to White LED's have fitted the relay also (Local made) Paid Rs. 650 for the bulbs and Rs.850 for the relay including fitting. The color temperature is good, white light is treat to eyes, you will feel relaxed after switching on the headlamps. The throw is better than the stock but not up to my expectations, headlamp gets heated up excessively will wit and see what's going to happen to my reflectors and lenses. I have bought Neolites also with 100 W white bulbs but yet to find a good mechanic who can fabricate and fit me the clamps. [cry]

jarpickle 16th July 2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prakritij (Post 306819)
Hmmm. I am a big zero in Electricals, no idea how to plug.
Will order a Hella Wiring harness from ebay. Price INR890.
Will need some guidance from you guys. Hope there will be no strain on the battery.

That shop will surely have a lot of complaints from angry owners.Without a wiring kit and a relay the electricals will be overloaded.The Bakelite(chinni matti) holders are a must since normal plastic ones will melt.

You can get all these parts at a local car parts shop.As Deville_56 has said it is an easy job.Alternatively you can get the job done at a car auto electrical shop.

Try Ebay only if the parts are not available locally.