Toyota Corolla Altis Tyre Replacement & Upsize (195/65 R15 To 205/65 R15)

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My Bridgestone Turanza ER300's (stock) have done 63,000 Kms. No emergency replacement is required, but starting the thread now so that i get enough comments by the time I replace them.
Stock tyres are 195/65/R15, i am planning to put 205/65/R15. Will they cause any issue on stock rims? Most people say they are marginally bigger, wont disturb any thing.
I have read many people replacing 195/65/R15 with 205/65/R15, but that will reduce height, and on Indian roads height is the deciding factor if your car can make it or not, lol.

Also please suggest tyres which have low noise and still can last longer?

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis Tyre Replacement With Upsize (195/65 R15 To 205/65 R15)

I have read many people replacing 195/65/R15 with 205/65/R15, but that will reduce height, and on Indian roads height is the deciding factor if your car can make it or not, lol.
That's a decent upgrade, go for it. People use the same on Corolla and Civic without any issues.

It doesn't reduce the height, rather increases by few mm.

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis Tyre Replacement With Upsize (195/65 R15 To 205/65 R15)

I'm no expert but it's never good to upsize tyres for a sedan. Under heavy/max load condition (5 persons + 30kg luggage) the suspension travel is reduced, So tyres may come in contact with body.

If you are never going to put car in heavy load condition, you can upsize tyres without any doubt.

Thread Starter #5
After installing CNG, back had become too low. I have installed rubber spacers, now its fine, actually a bit higher than natural. Ground clearance is now good. But still hope the rubber compresses a bit and it comes to its normal height.

205/65/R15 will only increase height by 6 mm. I don't think it will be an issue. But need more expert opinions, as we might miss some important issue.

Thread Starter #6
I am going in for 205/65/R15. My Friendly Neighborhood Mechanic says that such small up-size wont hurt. Also i have seen people use 205/65/R15 on 195/65/R15 corollas.

Now the question is - which tyres to go for ?
I need a balance between comfort and wear. I don't drive it like a psyco so performance is not a criteria.

Altis is now at 66,600 Kms on stock tyres [surprise].

kkn13

Suspended
I am going in for 205/65/R15. My Friendly Neighborhood Mechanic says that such small up-size wont hurt. Also i have seen people use 205/65/R15 on 195/65/R15 corollas.

Now the question is - which tyres to go for ?
I need a balance between comfort and wear. I don't drive it like a psyco so performance is not a criteria.

Altis is now at 66,600 Kms on stock tyres [surprise].
A single upsize will never hurt
Ive done this on all our cars including my City which now rides on 185 tyres (max- 195mm but that requires new alloys)

205 should be alright for Corolla imho
Steering weight and FE might be affected slightly so dont be surprised

Thread Starter #8
I think FE should increase a bit, as at same RPM, i will be doing higher speeds. Speed difference is only 1.8% so at 100 kmph, i will be doing 101.8 kmph, not a huge difference. But rolling resistance will increase which will reduce FE. Lets see, appointment for tyre change is fixed on Saturday 205/65/R15 are available in stock, just need to decide on which brand to go with. Bidgestones, Yokohama and Michelin. And which model, thats the main question for me now.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Just for update:
At 67,303 Kms, I changed the tyres to Earth 1 - 205/65/R15. Now the car is at 77,000+ and the tyres are doing good. Road noise was reduced. Now the car doesn't scrape even on tallest speed breakers. I think i made it an SUV [:D]
FE is similar, or not much change, I cannot make it out.
There are no punctures in tyres yet, now I hope they last a long time.

Hi,
Good to see your update. I am planning to upsize to the same size and tire as yours. Please share your thoughts on the steering feel after the upsize. Thanks.

Thread Starter #11
My earlier tyres Turanza ER300's, were very hard, every thing inside the car used to rattle. The car was standing in sun for 3 - 4 years before I bought it. Tyres had become very hard. Change to any tyre would have looked like an improvement. I dint feel any change other than the smoothness. Tyre does not hit/scrub any where. I had also inserted rubber spacers above back suspensions as CNG tank was heavy and back part was too low. If you dont have CNG tank, I think it should be OK.
I am still using stock shock absorbers - gabriel.

Hello Everyone,

My Bridgestone Turanza ER300's (stock) have done 63,000 Kms. No emergency replacement is required, but starting the thread now so that i get enough comments by the time I replace them.
Stock tyres are 195/65/R15, i am planning to put 205/65/R15. Will they cause any issue on stock rims? Most people say they are marginally bigger, wont disturb any thing.

Also please suggest tyres which have low noise and still can last longer?
You need to keenly observe the tyres to figure out difference between these 2 sizes.

This upgrade you said is perfect for your car, it wont make any difference to the height of the car. Check out Michellin or Yokohama or Continental tyres for softer rubber compound and better grip.

My earlier tyres Turanza ER300's, were very hard, every thing inside the car used to rattle. The car was standing in sun for 3 - 4 years before I bought it. Tyres had become very hard. Change to any tyre would have looked like an improvement. I dint feel any change other than the smoothness. Tyre does not hit/scrub any where. I had also inserted rubber spacers above back suspensions as CNG tank was heavy and back part was too low. If you dont have CNG tank, I think it should be OK.
I am still using stock shock absorbers - gabriel.
I have changed the tyres to 205/65r15 Earth-1 today. I am so glad i made the change to this size because there will be so much road and fly-over construction work over the next two years. Driving through bridge construction areas i could immediately feel the difference. What tyre pressure are you keeping?. I have kept it the same at 30. As per the load index table, for the same load and for the new load index of 94, the corresponding pressure is around 28. Because of the higher load index (94 vs 91) the pressure needs to be a bit lower. What do you think?

Thread Starter #14
I just keep it at 32, in Alto also I kept it at 32 while I had it. I don't have any idea what is correct [:)]. If you have any source to measure correct tyre pressure, I can look into it. Will be helpful to me.

I just keep it at 32, in Alto also I kept it at 32 while I had it. I don't have any idea what is correct [:)]. If you have any source to measure correct tyre pressure, I can look into it. Will be helpful to me.
If you drive to a petrol pump or some other place and set it to 32 during the day, it will be closer to 30 in early in the morning. Its probably alright. I try my best to set the pressure when the tire is cold, mostly early in the morning before the sun hits the tires. Anyway, I found some useful information from toyotires website:
https://www.toyotires.com/tires-101/tire-load-and-inflation-tables

You can download their application guide.

Top Bottom