Headlight Upgrade For Hyundai Santro ZipDrive (2002)

Thread Starter #1
hello there,
its been a while since we have decided to upgrade the existing headlights of the 14 year old car..as it is very difficult to drive at the night time with the stock configuration of headlights..and specially on the highways.
so please let me know that what are my options for them.
and also can i replace them with a led kit or a hid kit ?
my budget is limited to maximum of 5k[roll].

Thread Starter #3
Hello there,
since your santro uses H4 style headlights, I suggest you upgrade to a CREE 30w LED kit.
Total details here-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ed-headlight-conversion-bulbs-cars-bikes.html

HID does not work well is H4 type reflector housings so its not an option.
thanks,
mostly of the discussion in that topic is covered by bikes led or xenon kit,..
but i found some links and saw that the item is no longer sold ..or are out of stock[confused]..
since that were 2 years ago..[roll]
so can you provide me any updated link or the name of the led kit which would be compatible with car..

Thread Starter #5
those were really good options for led headlight kits.. but still i have a doubt regarding installation..
-is it necessary to install the relay with these led's
- the second led link provided says that it has built in ballast.. so is it true ?
plus i have seen some of the led's are just plug and play.. so if you can torch up that matter ..just for some extra information.. it'll be good..
thanx [:)]
and 1 more thing.. some people suggested me to just get a philips or osram 90/100w bulbs with some sort of wiring.. but i guess it would not be as bright and good as an led kit ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
and i would prefer the temperature range around 4300k.. because the the 6000k would be more at the bluish with white combination..

bhvm

Honoured Member
those were really good options for led headlight kits.. but still i have a doubt regarding installation..
-is it necessary to install the relay with these led's
- the second led link provided says that it has built in ballast.. so is it true ?
plus i have seen some of the led's are just plug and play.. so if you can torch up that matter ..just for some extra information.. it'll be good..
thanx [:)]
and 1 more thing.. some people suggested me to just get a philips or osram 90/100w bulbs with some sort of wiring.. but i guess it would not be as bright and good as an led kit ?

1. relays will not be required as Maximum draw by LED kit does not exeed 55w (Factory uses 55/60w Bulb so wiring is designed for that)

2. Yes. LED has Built in Ballast. Its usually a small box in wiring or otherwise hidden under the fan. You do not need anything external with LED kit.

3. They're truly plug and play. You have to make sure there is good space behind the headlight so Fan the pull air freely. Otherwise you may have to cut the dust cap.

4. I do not suggest 100/90w options due to ill effects on Reflector/Lens, Wiring and battery life. Also, the Glare is higher and brightness is not as good as LED. In short, High wattage halogens are glorified Room Heaters form pre-Indipendence era. They should be put to the graves now.

and i would prefer the temperature range around 4300k.. because the the 6000k would be more at the bluish with white combination..
I
am a big fan of 4300k Myself. But those options will cross your budget of 5k.

Here-
UGLARE - 55W 4300K 5500LM H4 Hi/Lo LED Headlight Conversion Kit | eBay

UGLARE - Latest Invention 45W 4300K 4500LM H4 Hi Lo LED Conversion Kit | eBay

just saw one of these on ebay:
HID Xenon Kit H4 4300K WITH LOW / HIGH BEAM Type Bulbs With Slim Ballast | eBay

please provide your feedback on these lights
HID+h4 is not good combo as said in Reply 1.
Also the wiring is quite a mess for these.

My 2 cents :

Since it is a 14 year old car, check the reflector and lens condition before any sort of upgrade. LED or HID won't give their true potential if the reflector or lens are dull/faded since they make use of the stock reflector.

Even a new pair of headlights will give some improvement if the old ones are not in good condition.

Regards,
Alpha

bhvm

Honoured Member
My 2 cents :

Since it is a 14 year old car, check the reflector and lens condition before any sort of upgrade. LED or HID won't give their true potential if the reflector or lens are dull/faded since they make use of the stock reflector.

Even a new pair of headlights will give some improvement if the old ones are not in good condition.

Regards,
Alpha
Adding to what Alpha Said,
There is one chance you may wish to take-
Bixenon projector Retrofit.
If your Reflectors are already dull and old. There no risk in trying for retrofit. The Projectors provide amazing beam and they bypass the Factory reflector. However, you'll still have to check front lens for scratches or dullness. But front Glass can be polished.

P.s- Retrofit costs Min 10k, and goes to 20~25k. But you will have the coolest santro in the city!

Thread Starter #11
1. relays will not be required as Maximum draw by LED kit does not exeed 55w (Factory uses 55/60w Bulb so wiring is designed for that)

2. Yes. LED has Built in Ballast. Its usually a small box in wiring or otherwise hidden under the fan. You do not need anything external with LED kit.

3. They're truly plug and play. You have to make sure there is good space behind the headlight so Fan the pull air freely. Otherwise you may have to cut the dust cap.

4. I do not suggest 100/90w options due to ill effects on Reflector/Lens, Wiring and battery life. Also, the Glare is higher and brightness is not as good as LED. In short, High wattage halogens are glorified Room Heaters form pre-Indipendence era. They should be put to the graves now.

I
am a big fan of 4300k Myself. But those options will cross your budget of 5k.

Here-
UGLARE - 55W 4300K 5500LM H4 Hi/Lo LED Headlight Conversion Kit | eBay

UGLARE - Latest Invention 45W 4300K 4500LM H4 Hi Lo LED Conversion Kit | eBay

HID+h4 is not good combo as said in Reply 1.
Also the wiring is quite a mess for these.
thanks for the advice..
yeah led are always better.. only thing is price.. lets see if i can increase my budget..
and thanks for the extended info [:)]
and retro fit.. yeah nice idea..not now.. but lets see if i prefer this car in a long run or ill probably buy a new one in upcoming 2-3 years

My 2 cents :

Regards,
Alpha
the condition of driver side headlight reflector is almost new..
the passenger side is a little bit(infact tiny bit) dusty..due to indian driving conditions..[roll]

Thread Starter #12
by the way guys, i just looked into the bulb today and say that it was 100/90w bulb on both the sides. from the starting itself i never noticed and still so bad lighting.

i am thinking to go for the glare led lights. that's from ebay.

thanks bhvm and Alpha for your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
by the way guys, i just looked into the bulb today and say that it was 100/90w bulb on both the sides.. from the starting itself.. i never noticed.. and still so bad lighting,..
i am thinking to go for the uglare led lights.. thats from ebay..
thanks bhvm and Alpha for your feedback..!
Why not just replace the current 100/90 bulbs to check if the brightness improves? Since the reflector is alright and lens is good, I suspect the bulb to be the weak point. Maybe the bulbs are very old and have been through their life.

If possible go to a shop and ask the shopkeeper to give you a demo with a new 100/90 bulb. Tell him you won't purchase if performance isn't satisfactory. 100/90 bulbs aren't expensive anyway.

Regards,
Alpha

Top Bottom