Help Me Out Of Tyre Selection Mess For Hyundai Verna 2012

Which set of tyres to choose for Fluidic Verna 2012

• Bruce Banner : Get 195/60/R15. And take care of them potholes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Choosing right Tyres can be Tiresome

There are quite a few useful threads in TAI on tyre upgrade / up-sizing for Fluidic Verna 2011 model. Some of them are: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/16768-hyundai-verna-fluidic-alloys-max-tyre-upsizing-advice.html, http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/4564-tyre-alloy-upgrade-new-hyundai-verna-fluidic.html, http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/26848-upgrade-advice-hyundai-fluidic-verna-2012-tyres.html, http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/15012-tyres-hyundai-verna-fluidic.html, etc. But, I am unable to conclude on the tyre size, even after going thro' them. I was on my way to select a set of 185/65/R15 tyres, which came standard in my 1.6 CRDi EX model. Having a few enthusiasts as friends can always open new ideas. As higher versions of Fluidic Verna come with 195/55/R16 Alloys, I got hooked to 195mm section tyres. The choice could be between 195/60/R15 and 195/65/R15. How these compare with the 185/65/R15 is given below:

Tyre Comparo.jpg

Loosing a GC of 3.2mm is scary in a low slung Sedan. So the 195/60/R15 tyres are ruled out, AFAIC. Gaining a GC of 6.5mm is groovy. So, the 195/65/R15 are drool worthy. What are the possitives?
  1. Obviously GC increase is the first one. Bye bye to the fear on speed bumps.
  2. 6.5mm added in sidewall will protect the rims and will result in added comfort. Will get a great ride.
  3. Grip will be bit more.

Now what are the negatives ?
  1. Possibility of tyres scraping the top of wheel well, when fully loaded. Sides will never scrape.
  2. Increase in sidewall height might lead to sidewall flex and decrease in cornering ability. It will also put more pressure on the tyre, if proper tyre pressure is not maintained.
  3. Acceleration could be affected wee bit. Mileage might come down a bit. But, who cares ?

Below is a picture from a TAI thread on a Fluidic Verna with 205/55 R16 tyres. This has gained 5.2mm GC (along with Circumference of 1985.2mm / Sidewall height of 112.8mm / Overall Diameter of 632mm). You can see that there is a huge gap above the tyres. But this is unladen condition.

Is scraping happening in these 205/55 R16 tyers ? those with these set of wheels please comment. Because of the offset issue with after market alloys, insurance issue, SA's strong recommendations, I am not going for an 15" or 16" alloy. I bet more on the Hyundai provided 15" steel wheels.

Now to the poll. Friends, which tyres would you choose, if you are in my position. Thanks for helping me.

Re: Team TAI, please help me out of this tyre selection mess I am in

Hi Vijay,

I go with Jack Sparrow, to go with 195/65/R15. I am sure that the wheels are not going to scrap the under body or wheel well.

Also I checked the other thread where your are looking for the tyre brands, I would suggest you to go with Michelin only if they cost around ~250 each compared to Bridgestone. Else Bridgestone does the work fine.

You can also check apolo accelers they too are good tires and would cost you cheaper than Bridgestone and Michelin. Apolo tires has come a long way and were OEMs on my brother's i20. He had a non nonsense 50+K with them and upgraded with the same brand.

Cheers !!

SG

Last edited:

when fully laden scraping may occur with any size of the tyre as it depends on the way the speed breakers are laid. I have driven a verna with upsized tyres of 195 65 r15. the car did not have handling problems. yet scarped some times but avoided medium sized speed bumps.

Thread Starter #4

@max_jeopardy and @ praveen1987

Thanks guys, for your inputs. I'll wait for few more inputs and response to my PMs.

BTW, I will choose from Michelin Energy XM2, Conti CC5, Falken Sincera SN835, Pirelli Cint & Appolo Alnac 4G. It gives some kick to go thro' various reviews and select what the heart likes. I'll first choose the size of tyre thro this Poll.

Get the Jack Sparrow from Michelin guys. Go primacy 3ST in Jack Sparrow size and you will live a very happy life.

Thread Starter #7
I got reply from fellow member Doc to my PM. It reads "under heavy loads of all 4 people in the car the front tires used to touch the fender lining. i would suggest u drop 5mm sidewall height if ur going for 195's".

That is trouble. So I've decided to stick with Mr. Han (OEM size of 185/65 R15). I cast my vote now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, over to my experiences with tyre dealers and Falken guys.

Bridgestone:
Bridgestone guy near MS Ramaiah Hospital signal, disapproved with Capt Jack. Still he made a nice offer. That he'd fit 195/65 tyres & check if they are touching the wheel arch. If they did, he'd go with Mr. Han size. He recommended Bridgestone Turanza T001 or ER300 (@5400 & 5700 respectively). But, the guys looked down at my current Kumho tyres. You don't do that to a set of tyres that held its own for 51600 + km, on a 1300kg car, on variety of roads with me throwing them at all sorts of curves, at moderator deletable speeds. Heck, they inspired me to continue beyond 170. So it is bye bye Bridgestone.

Michelin:
Only ₹ 100/- separates XM2 & Primacy 3 ST. I liked 3ST, but, ... ... ... the net is full of sidewall damage stories in Michelin's tyres in India. With me in the habit of going wherever Google maps takes me to, would they last our Country (pun intended) Roads ?

Goodyear:
One dealer vouched for GY Assurance TripleMax (@ 5400). Tyre temperature rating was B, if I'm correct. When I enquired about BS, Mich, Conti & Yokos, he used the words "Maruti mentality" for people preferring these brands. I didn't like THAT & just walked out without saying further.

Yokohama :
I liked the tread pattern on Yoko Earth 1. There's a dedicated thread in Team-BHP. Maximum praises, specially for the sidewall.
Our bhvm in TAI, is also positive about these tyres (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/24509-honest-review-yokohama-earth-1-tyres-really-designed-india.html). "Earth 1" in Jack Sparrow size got almost fitted. I didn't want to wait for an hour for the tyres to arrive at the shop & so I left.

Falken Sincera SN835:
Meanwhile at SLNP Pitstop, checked these and also liked the pattern. Later on, sent Falken a query from their website (about increasing to 195/65). Today I got 3 calls from them. 1st was from HQ, to inform me that a Tech expert from Bangalore will call. The Expert (Mr Sundar) was very reluctant for 195/65. But, what he told was really interesting. Excerpts below :

1. Falken is owned by Sumitomo Brand of Japan.
2. This is the 6th largest Tyre Co in the world, by Brand Value in 2015. BTW, BS is 1st, Mich is 2nd, Conti is 3rd, followed by GY & Pirelli. Hankook is at 7th, Dunlop is 8th, Yokohama is the 9th largest. Some CST from Taiwan is 10th. Where are our Apollo, MRF, JK, CEAT etc ?
3. Falken offers an interesting Prorato Warranty in the first two years. If the tyres get damaged due to road hazard, Falken will replace the tyres by charging equivalent to the "tread wear", as long as it is within 50% wear. Say, wear is 40%, one needs to pay 40% cost of tyre to get a new tyre. THAT, I would say, is really exciting.
4. As these tyres are targeted for Asian markets, there's not much of reviews in USA, UK, European sites.

Which tyre?
Currently it is 70-30 between Earth 1 & SN 835, in OEM size. That 30% is because of the calls from Mr Sundar. He spoke well.

When ?
With little help from God, I'll find time tomorrow and fit them. Which one ? Yoko leading, as you can see. Thanks for reading.

Thread Starter #8
Got Yokos Today

Got Yokohama Earth 1, in 185/65 R15 at Rs. 4800/- per tyre. Also changed the neck valves at ₹ 150/- per piece. Total expenditure was ₹ 19,800/-. Wheel Balancing, Alignment & Nitrogen filling were part of the deal. Got all done from SLNP Pit Stop https://goo.gl/maps/SU88VtqYLKE2. Mr Vinay & his team are good. They are a multi-brand dealer.

As of now, retaining the best Kumho (with more than 3mm tread) as spare.

The mechanics took about an hour plus to complete the exercise. One of the bolts in the rear left wheel had to be broken to remove that tyre. Currently only 3 bolts are holding the tyre; urgent need to visit Trident Hyundai.

As the distance to home was only 7 km, didn't expect to notice any difference due to new tyres. Max speed was just 40 kph in B-to-B traffic. Will review tyres in due course.

Eager to read the earth 1 review during the running in period.
During last year, yokohama use to offer a gift along with 4 tyres such as lotto track suit, tyre inflator etc, did you get anything.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Part-1:
Eager to read the earth 1 review during the running in period.
During last year, yokohama use to offer a gift along with 4 tyres such as lotto track suit, tyre inflator etc, did you get anything.
Nope, me not that lucky. Got some sort of car perfume in the shape of a CD to be hung on the inside mirror. It is still inside its packing :-) Will definitely write a review. If I'm not lazy, might do it today.

Part-2:
Visited Trident Hyundai, Yeswantpur on Monday morning, regarding "wrong threading of Bolts and the need to break one Bolt". I didn't expect such a careless work from Hyundai, when they tightened the bolts after Wheel Balancing (on 21-July-2016). Their Mgr, Mr.Vijayakumar himself came & listened to me. On his command, they removed all four wheels and checked the Bolts. Of course, four nuts were not goining in smoothly using hand rotation. They did something to rectify that. The broken bolt also was changed. After profound apologies, I was presented a ... ... ... bill for Rs. 328/-. I've censored my dialogues after seeing the bill. I paid at the end. I used those censored dialogues so that the workers are careful while working with other cars. All ezz well that ends well. With this peace of mind, I can now push the new tyres.

Last edited:
useful thread guys !

Need some valuable inputs of yours in choosing tyre for my Fluidic 1.6 Sx0. fitted with company default Bridgestone B250 - 195/55/R16. With 55,000 ODO reading, it surely is time to change them...

Please suggest one of the two options :-
to continue with another set of BRIDGESTONE B 250
OR
FALKEN SN-835 which comes with UNCONDITIONAL warrenty for 2 years or 50% rubber. ??

Really confused !

Top Bottom