Suitable Tyre Upgrade For Skoda Rapid

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys, as you all might know that we have a 2012 Skoda Rapid ambition TDI. The car has run approx 30000 kms. The tyres are worn out and we are looking for a replacement set. Since I am a noob in the tire's field, I want to ask all you TAIgers that which tyre size, specification and brand do you recommend. I'm planning to go for the size between 185/ R15 tyres or 195/R15 tyres. Kindly recommend some tyres of these sizes along with the prices if possible. Also the car's alignment and balancing are totally messed up so kindly recommend me a good shop for the same in Gurgaon. Thanks.

Re: Suitable tire upgrade for Skoda Rapid

I believe that ambition do not have alloys, if you have upgraded steel to alloys then its very good to go for upsize. If not then simply stay on 185/60R15 and best is to go for Michelin XM2, tyres with good grip, soft and light on steering.

If you have alloys then you could upgrade to 205/55 R15 which is best upgrade from the current stock size. 195 upgrade would not be proper one.

For 205/55R15 Yokohama S drive, A Drive is the best to have.

Hi guys, as you all might know that we have a 2012 Skoda Rapid ambition TDI.
Ambition tyres are 15 inch or 14 inch?
which tyre size, specification and brand do you recommend. I'm planning to go for the size between 185/ R15 tyres or 195/R15 tyres.
Tell us about your monthly running(city /highway /bad potholes) , types of road you drive on, how are the potholes? what speeds do you love to drive & actual speeds you do on this car.? Does anyone suffer from motion sickness in your family?

For normal driving (speeds less than 90, slowing down at turns & corners) 185/60 R 15 is more than sufficient.

I believe that ambition do not have alloys, if you have upgraded steel to alloys then its very good to go for upsize
.What's the problem if he goes for upsize on steel rims?

best is to go for Michelin XM2, tyres with good grip, soft and light on steering.
I have experience of XM2 on my wagon R in past , they are good but I have read on Internet that they suck when it comes to hard cornering. I never never done hard cornering on wagon R because of its dangerous body shape (tall boy) for hard cornering. Please opine on hard cornering with xm2 .

upgrade to 205/55 R15 which is best upgrade from the current stock size. 195 upgrade would not be proper one.
205/55R15 are mathematically correct upsize but practically they would protrude 10 mm more on each side of the tyre as compared to 185/60R15, hence are more prone for sidewall cut. In cases of 195 /60R15 size, this protrusion would be only 5 mm on each side.
Pls opine.

@CarLoverJosh
Please keep us posted when you change your tyres.
Also, I have a query. Does the Black edition also come with 185/R15 tyres?

Thread Starter #5
I believe that ambition do not have alloys, if you have upgraded steel to alloys then its very good to go for upsize. If not then simply stay on 185/60R15 and best is to go for Michelin XM2, tyres with good grip, soft and light on steering.

If you have alloys then you could upgrade to 205/55 R15 which is best upgrade from the current stock size. 195 upgrade would not be proper one.

For 205/55R15 Yokohama S drive, A Drive is the best to have.
Hi amit, thanks for the reply. Im extremely sorry, i couldn't reply as my father suffered a fatal accident on our new Activa. We did get the tyres changed albeit on my brother's recommendation who is a regular at BIC, he told me not to go for the S Drives. Hence the lookout started again. I wasn't to keep about the bridgestones but then my bro also told me that my priorities are ride comfort and refinement followed by handling. Based on this, I decided to go in for Continental Quite Contact 185/R14 tyres. Believe me, now I feel that our BMW has more tyre noise. Thanks for you inputs.

Ambition tyres are 15 inch or 14 inch?

Tell us about your monthly running(city /highway /bad potholes) , types of road you drive on, how are the potholes? what speeds do you love to drive & actual speeds you do on this car.? Does anyone suffer from motion sickness in your family?

For normal driving (speeds less than 90, slowing down at turns & corners) 185/60 R 15 is more than sufficient.

.What's the problem if he goes for upsize on steel rims?

I have experience of XM2 on my wagon R in past , they are good but I have read on Internet that they suck when it comes to hard cornering. I never never done hard cornering on wagon R because of its dangerous body shape (tall boy) for hard cornering. Please opine on hard cornering with xm2 .

205/55R15 are mathematically correct upsize but practically they would protrude 10 mm more on each side of the tyre as compared to 185/60R15, hence are more prone for sidewall cut. In cases of 195 /60R15 size, this protrusion would be only 5 mm on each side.
Pls opine.
Hi tornado, thanks for your opinion, the ambition variant runs R14 tyres. We went for 185/R14 CONTINENTAL QUITE COMFORT tyres. I will try to put up a review soon.

@CarLoverJosh
Please keep us posted when you change your tyres.
Also, I have a query. Does the Black edition also come with 185/R15 tyres?
Hi, I'm sorry, as i mentioned at the start of this answer, my father suffered a fatal accident due to which i couldn't update the thread. Anyways, I went in for Continental Quite Comfort tyres. Super i must say. I review will be up shortly. And yes, the Black Edition does come with 185/R15 tyres in stock. Good luck.

Top Bottom