Tyre Change Advice

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys

My car has following problems:
1. At low speeds ride is not smooth, there is some jumping.

So I took it for wheel balancing and alignment, technician over there told, all tyres need to be replaced.

Its 8 years old car with original tyres.
Just driven 40k kms
Driven on good roads
Tyres looks good, there is sufficient tread depth.

He says, tyres damaged because of less driving of car.
Car is driven mainly on weekends and sometimes on other days.

So my question:
1. Is tyre replacement required due to low mileage ?
2. When are tyres normally replaced, km and age wise

Re: Tyre change advise

Possibly low running may be one reason. But the main reason is the age of tyres.

In this eight years the tyres has seen 24 seasons with harsh heat and chilling winter breeze. This makes the tyre compound change to be more stiff and hard.

Due to tyre hardness it tends to stiff looses the pinch effect on bumps or pot-holes.
And YES you need a immediate tyre replacement if makes sound, loosen grips at sharp turns.

Please tell which car you using? Model/Variant
Current Tyres Size/Brand?
Your Budget?

Thread Starter #3
Re: Tyre change advise

Thanks Amit for the information.

So, in other words, even if there was more running, then also I would have required to change tyres (age wise). So culprit in this case is not just low running, its the age of tyres and so I need not blame myself for low running :) .
Please reply to my second question, when are tyres normally changed w.r.t to kms done and age of tyre.

Regarding the cars, its Maruti Alto, 2008 model (no power steering), and medium budget [;)]

The Boucning effect may be due to high tyre pressure. First I would suggest you to completely remove the air and fill in with nitrogen and check the ride. If that does not
hekp swap the back wheels to the front and check. This would make you arrive at a reason for the bounciness.

Tyre wear and tear depends on usage, high speed driving ,under inflamation, over inflamation, road conditions, also rotate the tyres based on your usage, then may be worn out suspension can eat the life of tyres. always stick to the manufacture recommended tyre pressure.

One of the possible reason is less driving by car. Tire replacement is necessary at regular mileage intervals.
As a precaution, The average tire can handle about 40,000 miles and no need to replace 10 years from their date of manufacture.
Tyres have to meet a lot of different conflicting requirements, such as:
1. Tyres designed for long life are made from harder compounds, but these may make more noise. Tread pattern can affect noise too.
2. Tyres made of softer compounds will give a quieter ride, but will wear out more quickly.

If you are looking for softer tyre then Michellin & Yokohama are better to have.

Both tyre compound has silicon contain so over the period of time even at low odo's the tyre wouldn't get that harder.

Most workshops use a metallic tool to measure the depth of threading to determine when to replace the tyres. Some tyres have a mark which tells the user to replace the user. Coming to your second question
- I replaced my tyres at little less than 60k km. I did this because the tyre had completely worn (bald) on the inner edge of one of the tyres and I had a puncture in that location. If that was not the case I could have gone on for another 5k km. I was told to replace the tyres somewhere between 50-52k by the service adviser. But I did not do it as I felt it was not necessary.
- the terrain also matters. the wear and tear of the tyre depends on the terrain you drive and also on how you drive as well irrespective of the mileage

Coming to your first question
- do you see small cracks/crack like lines on the side walls?

To change tires You need to answer the following questions,

Are there light tires cracks on tires
Are the tires balded.

For bumpy drive I think the tyre air is over filled or there is a damage on the tire /tube, which was repared

Last edited:
Tires needs to be changed, at least with in 5 years, irrespective of the kilometres driven. This is good for the car .If the vehicle is driven more than 40 K,then also the need of tyre replacement will arise.

Top Bottom