12V Cigarette Lighter Socket in Scooter

Thread Starter #1
Some of the new generation scooters have the 12V charging port as a standard feature. Is it possible to add the same in a 2010 Hero Pleasure?. I am not very familiar with the fuse box and the wiring of the scooters. Adding this will put and extra load on the old battery?.

image.jpeg

Other than the regular 12V socket is there a unit with inbuilt mobile charger adapter or USB ports? (Refer the above pic). The reason for asking is if forgot to remove the adapter while parking no one should be able to remove it, so I am looking for a single unit with no separate socket and adapter. Not yet decided to do it as a DIY or from accessory shops, but I asked in 2 shops they said it can't be done!. Where in Pune I can get this done?. Please give your valuable suggestions.

Last edited:
Some of the new generation scooters have the 12V charging port as a standard feature. Is it possible to add the same in a 2010 Hero Pleasure?. I am not very familiar with the fuse box and the wiring of the scooters. Adding this will put and extra load on the old battery?.
First things first, on reading the title, I thought who is this Mr. Desperate looking for a cig lighter in a 2 wheeler. :biggrin:
Bad title. [lol]

Coming back to topic, I think I can help you in connecting the above device (posted in pic). It has only 2 connectors. The positive one will go to a coupler near the ignition/lock area. I had done the same in a friend's Activa for adding a switch for LED strips. I can identify the coupler if you post some pics of the battery area by opening Pleasure's hood (hood or whatever it is? [lol]). This way power will be supplied only when the key is in the 'ON' position. In 'OFF' and 'LOCK' position, no power will be sent to the charger. The negative wire can be connected to ground or any mettalic nut/bolt in the body. You can route the wires from (inside) the footboard and keep the charger inside the storage compartment. In the open, it has chances of being damaged by water.

I would advice you to check with some other accessory (say a tester or parking light bulb) to see if the wiring works this way. Then you can order the above part. It is pretty much possible.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
The socket is still better known as "cigarette lighter socket" than other names, though people are not using it for lighting cigarettes anymore. That is the reason for this title, or take it as a gimmick for grabbing attention and getting some quick suggestions [lol].

My biggest concern is these kind of accessories are low quality chinese products and are prone to short circuit. So I prefer a connection through a fuse!. The above said wiring is direct from battery as far as I understand. I am away from the place for time being, so unable to post any pics.

Last edited:
The socket is still better known as "cigarette lighter socket" than other names, though people are not using it for lighting cigarettes anymore. That is the reason for this title, or take it as a gimmick for grabbing attention and getting some quick suggestions [lol].

My biggest concern is these kind of accessories are low quality chinese products and are prone to short circuit. So I prefer a connection through a fuse!. The above said wiring is direct from battery as far as I understand. I am away from the place for time being, so unable to post any pics.
In case you take connection directly from the battery terminal, you will have to add a manual switch (for turning ON/OFF every time you ride) or the accessory will remain connected even when the scooter is not being used.

Tapping from the coupler is the best idea as you use a switch already provided by the company (i.e. ignition).

If you want, you can get an ON/OFF switch and connect the product directly from battery's terminals. You can use the switch every time you use the socket and let it remain closed when the socket is not in use. It will not be cumbersome as you will anyway have to access the socket to plug/remove a phone.

You can add a suitable fuse in the circuit in any case to make it safer.

EDIT - The product in the pic posted by you has a fuse if you look closely. It is close to the terminal end of the red wire.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks buddy. I got the above picture from internet, unable to find it in shops. I am in search for it!. What I get to see in every accessory shop is the below given type!. But I don't want it, as adapter is removable and I don't want to lose it in parking lots.

Attachments

Thanks buddy. I got the above picture from internet, unable to find it in shops. I am in search for it!. What I get to see in every accessory shop is the below given type!. But I don't want it, as adapter is removable and I don't want to lose it in parking lots.
Buddy where are you planning to mount this? Inside the storage compartment or somewhere else?

Top Bottom