Remap vs Tuning Box For Hyundai Grand i10 Diesel: My Experience!

Thread Starter #1
NOVEMBER 2015 CODE 6 REMAP

I had run 50k kms and got the Remap itch. I contacted various tuners like Petes, Tune o tronics and Code 6.I decided to go with Code 6 since the price quote was lesser and there were good reviews of code 6 in various forums.

I decided to drive to their bangalore workshop and get the remap. I met the tuner and he offered me 2 maps. One with 90 ps, 200nm and another one with 100 bhp 220nm(with few precautions to be taken). I wanted to try the more powerful map. Tuner worked on it and flashed the same into my car using OBD port. I was excited to drive my car with 100 horses. So we go for a drive!!
I start the car in first and accelerate to find no difference compared to stock. I did not find any difference even in 2nd gear. Tuner told me not to worry and there would be difference in higher gears. I found no difference till 3k rpm even in higher gears. There was mild difference above 3k rpm, which might be psychological. I was very unhappy with the remap. Even the tuner agreed it is not upto his expectations. He tried tweaking the map few times and there was no difference. Later I noticed there was lot of black smoke. Ultimately we decided to work on remap on a later date and I drove back with my stock map.

What would have gone wrong in this remap?

Tuner was very sure turbo in grand i10 is VGT and he increased the turbo boost pressure with other parameters. I had huge doubts if turbo was VGT. Turbo costs only 16 K compared to 40 K plus of I20 which is VGT. Hyundai has never mentioned turbo of Grand i10 as VGT in their website, while they mention VGT for i20 and verna. Later I got it confirmed from my service centre, RD guys and another reputed tuner. All said it is a FGT.
Boost pressure of FGT turbo is not controlled by ECU. A Manual boost controller is required. So the code 6 tuner got the entire tune wrong and car was making no extra power. Increasing boost pressure in map for FGT cars has no effect.

FEBRUARY 2016 DIESEL TRONIC SINGLE CHANNEL TUNING BOX

I had driven 55 K kms and wanted to experiment again with a remap or tuning box. Post code 6 experience, I had a doubt if my car has some problem and that's why it did not show any power gain in code 6 remap. I contacted RD team and they agreed to send the box for trial to their mangalore dealer. I got the box installed yesterday and have driven 130 kms till now with all 4 modes. I will take a call on buying the box soon after checking mileage and run times in various modes.

E mode - Power is little lesser than stock. It is still driveable. I use this mode while driving in bumper to bumper traffic

S mode - Same as Stock

P1 mode-Throttle response is way better than stock. Power gain is prominent. Car just pulls in turbo zone. There is no prominent turbo kick though. Power delivery is linear but way faster than stock

P2 mode-I find the mid range of P2 mode same as P1.But there is difference in top end.

I like to drive the car in P1 mode and use P2 only for 4 laned highway

P. S : I am not saying tuning box is better than remap. I have a SX4 diesel remapped by Wolf moto and it is performing really well. 100 to 160 in 5 th gear is a cakewalk post Wolf remap. Tuning box doesn't deliver power in the entire power band like remap

Posting a picture of turbo charger in my grand i10. Look at the thing with blue pipe, it goes back to turbo charger like a loop unlike VGT which is controlled by ECU

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom