Steering Knobs: How Safe Are They?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys.

Most of you would have seen or used a steering knob, a knob which sits on the wheel and helps the driver move/spin the steering faster. I had bought an "iPop" Power Steering knob online but recieved a "Black Label" one because of seller's mistake. My friend liked the design and I gave it to him, thinking that I will order the iPop one again after some time.

He used this on his Swift Zxi. Although it came with rubber strips (to decrease the gap, in case steering wheel diameter was smaller), we didn't use them as it fitted perfectly on the wheel. It was recommended by the seller to use this product below 40 kmph speed.

The product worked very well in traffic or tight parking conditions, which needed quick steering moves but wasn't confidence inspiring on higher speeds from day one. He decided to use it only in the initial 2 gears and move to conventional steering holdimg position from 3rd gear onwards. Yesterday, this knob gave up (cracked) in the middle of a corner and my friend had a crash.

The corner was taken very sedately in the 2nd gear with around 25 kmph speed and my friend was driving (I was in passenger seat). We were halfway through the corner, one hand on the steering knob and it cracked from the holding point (point where it was secured to the steering) all of a sudden and the knob literally came in hand! Before we could do anything, the steering went back to center position and the car went on to hit the divider. Luckily no one was hurt except the car (and divider also? [lol]).

So, are these steering spinner knobs safe to use? Aren't we risking our life using this 300-rupee product? Do you also feel the same about these products (and not particularly this one product) or was this a one-off case? He didn't over-tighten the knob fearing that it might crack and still it did. Please share your experiences.

PS. I am not able to upload the pictures of the broken knob. I have sent them to TSIVipul, he will upload soon.

Last edited:
Re: Steering Knobs : How safe are they?

Even I am also against this crap, once I too ended up hitting a stationary rickshaw (nothing major, only scratches) after this thingy get into my way when I was turning the wheel of a friends' car.

Uploading the pics on the behalf of ice_wise:

IMG-20151223-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20151223-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20151223-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20151223-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20151223-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20151223-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20151223-WA0005.jpg

Akash1886

Honoured Member

This is absolute obstruction for driving. I had placed it in my CITY but after a while I removed because I found it to be extremely uneasy to turn the car and more than a comfort device, this is a hazard for me. God has given 2 hands to hold steering wheel then why to unnecessarily not use them? I have seen White Accents and Santro(s) sporting this at large and those drivers prove themselves as pro-racer types by flick of a few fingers. Sheer crap of a product.

Regards

Akash

Well I have never used one but to me it seems like obstruction during my driving. During driving we have to be absolutely aware and alert all times. You never know what situation may arise and there for any obstruction is bad. it may happen that due to the knob steering could not be rotated as much required, or like we have seen broken knobs etc.

If they were useful the OEMs would have given them but the fact that it is not part of OEM I feel they are unsafe.

I will never suggest one.

I will never use one even though Nano Twist has the lightest steering. Even if it comes in better quality, I will always prefer my hands to turn the steering rather than a knob.

Thanks ice_wise & TSIVipul for highlighting the incidents. It will help someone to think twice before installing the steering knob.

Personally, I concede that these are absolutely ridiculous accessories primarily for people who want to make their vehicles look different in any (cheapest) way possible - no offense to anyone. They're not stylish, safe or functional - a waste of money!

I have been using the iPOP one on my ecosport for the last 4 months. Had a similar one in my swift for 7 years without any problems. Looking at the second image, I know I can safely conclude that your fitment was fundamentally incorrect to the way it is supposed to be installed. The rotating knob is supposed to be placed out side the steering, aka facing the outside and not inside, thereby increasing the radius of your steering motion.

TO make it more clear, the force that you apply to rotate a steering wheel is applied in the form of torque on the steering shaft.
Torque = Radius * force * sin(theta)
for Steering motion the force angle is normally tangential, meanign theta = 90 degrees or =1
hence here, the Torques comes down to Radius * Force.

The more the radius the lesser the force require. You add this pop (knoB) to increase the radius at the point of applied force thus reducing the required force. In this case you placed it inside the steering thus reducing the radius and increasing the force required, which caused an earlier breakage.

ON a side note, this Black label appears to be of cheaper quality to.

And, Knobs are completely safe, only if used at parking or bumper to bumper speed, as at higher speeds you become disconnected with teh feel of the steering thus losing control.

Cheers,

Bharat

Thread Starter #8
I have been using the iPOP one on my ecosport for the last 4 months. Had a similar one in my swift for 7 years without any problems. Looking at the second image, I know I can safely conclude that your fitment was fundamentally incorrect to the way it is supposed to be installed. The rotating knob is supposed to be placed out side the steering, aka facing the outside and not inside, thereby increasing the radius of your steering motion.

TO make it more clear, the force that you apply to rotate a steering wheel is applied in the form of torque on the steering shaft.
Torque = Radius * force * sin(theta)
for Steering motion the force angle is normally tangential, meanign theta = 90 degrees or =1
hence here, the Torques comes down to Radius * Force.

The more the radius the lesser the force require. You add this pop (knoB) to increase the radius at the point of applied force thus reducing the required force. In this case you placed it inside the steering thus reducing the radius and increasing the force required, which caused an earlier breakage.

ON a side note, this Black label appears to be of cheaper quality to.

And, Knobs are completely safe, only if used at parking or bumper to bumper speed, as at higher speeds you become disconnected with teh feel of the steering thus losing control.

Cheers,

Bharat
Sirji, first of all, this placement was given on the box of the product (packaging) that the knob should face inside as it will interfere (with your thigh region) if placed facing outside the wheel.

I agree that the force applied would be more in this placement. We were doing 20-25 kmph which isn't too fast for the knob to generally handle. Swift, being a light EPS car without the famous center back action, would not have put very much pressure (center back force) while turning. So the quality of knob is inferior, I agree.

PS. You can check the bottom left of the packaging picture in the 2nd post, it displays that the knob is placed like we had done. A clearer picture was there at the backside.

Top Bottom