Two Different Set of Tyres on My i10. Have I Done Something Mess?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Being my first thread in forum, i would like to introduce myself here.
I am a IT guy working in Kolkata since last 4.5 yrs. I bought old i10 (2010 registration) model from one of my friends in Nov 14, due to family reasons. Car was in good condition. He said tyres need change after an year or so and you need to rotate tyres after every six months (front to rear and rear goes to front). I ignored it ... [frustration]

In Sep'15, Rear wheels tyres showed up two/four punctures, and repairer suggested to change tyres soon, i again ignored it. In Nov, last month, one of the tyre got busted. [cry]
And after that i got serious to change the tyres, however due to budget constraints i opted for two tyre purchase.

Found one tyre store, in Saltlake named 'Mouchak' (who was actually Falken Authorised dealer, which i found out after deal was done), to buy Bridgestone B250/B290.

He suggested me to go for 'Falken Sincera SN835' as it have two years unconditional warranty and better driving than B250. I told him that front wheels are B250, so don't want to go with Falken's. He told me that there would not be any issue with i10 having two different set of tyres at all in terms of driving and mileage. He has done this type of tyre change on many vehicles. After his more persuasion, i opted for Falken, price was almost equivalent with B250, with only minor difference. So i striked the deal and purchased it.
(Earlier, prior to visiting store for purchase, i read about tyre change on different sites Sorry i missed this forum then. And Falken reviews were good and its said to have better handling and driving experiences by different users)

Now, i feel with new set of tyres at rear wheels, handling have improved a bit and about mileage, i need to check about it as i filled up the tank four days before only.

Now my question is did i created a mess for me, with going two different set of tyres on my car. (Front wheels have B250 & Rear have SN835). Is it going to effect in any way to car's mileage, etc.

Please advice.

Re: Two different set of tyres on my i10, have i done something mess.?

Hi All,

Being my first thread in forum, i would like to introduce myself here.
I am a IT guy working in Kolkata since last 4.5 yrs. I bought old i10 (2010 registration) model from one of my friends in Nov 14, due to family reasons. Car was in good condition. He said tyres need change after an year or so and you need to rotate tyres after every six months (front to rear and rear goes to front). I ignored it ... [frustration]

In Sep'15, Rear wheels tyres showed up two/four punctures, and repairer suggested to change tyres soon, i again ignored it. In Nov, last month, one of the tyre got busted. [cry]
And after that i got serious to change the tyres, however due to budget constraints i opted for two tyre purchase.

Found one tyre store, in Saltlake named 'Mouchak' (who was actually Falken Authorised dealer, which i found out after deal was done), to buy Bridgestone B250/B290.

He suggested me to go for 'Falken Sincera SN835' as it have two years unconditional warranty and better driving than B250. I told him that front wheels are B250, so don't want to go with Falken's. He told me that there would not be any issue with i10 having two different set of tyres at all in terms of driving and mileage. He has done this type of tyre change on many vehicles. After his more persuasion, i opted for Falken, price was almost equivalent with B250, with only minor difference. So i striked the deal and purchased it.
(Earlier, prior to visiting store for purchase, i read about tyre change on different sites Sorry i missed this forum then. And Falken reviews were good and its said to have better handling and driving experiences by different users)

Now, i feel with new set of tyres at rear wheels, handling have improved a bit and about mileage, i need to check about it as i filled up the tank four days before only.

Now my question is did i created a mess for me, with going two different set of tyres on my car. (Front wheels have B250 & Rear have SN835). Is it going to effect in any way to car's mileage, etc.

Please advice.
No. It is fine, as long as front and rear tyre size and specs are same. I suggest you to move the worn out tyres to the back (B250) and the new ones to the front. As i10 is a FWD car, more difference would be noticeable in grip, acceleration and handling.

From now on, be move careful and do not ignore an important part like the tyres, these are the only part in contact with the road. I hope you would have understood already after going through all the happenings.

And welcome to TAI. [:)]

No. It is fine, as long as front and rear tyre size and specs are same. I suggest you to move the worn out tyres to the back (B250) and the new ones to the front. As i10 is a FWD car, more difference would be noticeable in grip, acceleration and handling.

From now on, be move careful and do not ignore an important part like the tyres, these are the only part in contact with the road. I hope you would have understood already after going through all the happenings.

And welcome to TAI. [:)]
@ice_wise : Bro, new tyres should always be installed on the real axle and old ones should be moved to frond. Here the dealer has correctly installed the tyres. If done otherwise, it will affect the handling. Watch the following youtube video to understand it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSz7cm6MwH0

@ice_wise : Bro, new tyres should always be installed on the real axle and old ones should be moved to frond. Here the dealer has correctly installed the tyres. If done otherwise, it will affect the handling. Watch the following youtube video to understand it:

Well well. I agree with you but partially.

In India, we don't usually do such speeds to actually oversteer, which can be possible in rains but due to the condition of roads in our country, one would rather get toppled over before oversteer. I get your logic, that if old tyres are at the back, the car will skid (back end out) and it would not be easy to regain control. But, I also feel that if old ones are at the back, chances are that the car will understeer on hard cornering. This way, one would not be able to stop also as in some Indian cars, discs are at front and it is the first set (front) to get locked and slip. So if we have worn out tyres at the front end, we would not be able to even steer/handle the car in an emergency braking move. Well it is a lot of logic involved but my guess is that no method is safe. And in India, I would personally prefer new tyres at the front because our cars hardly oversteer (most of us cut corners at less than 60 kmph) and instead, emergency braking and steering moves are much common. And in that case, I think my logic is right! [;)]

Anyway thank you for bringing this to my notice, I didn't have oversteer in mind earlier.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks 'Auto_Pilot', for the suggestion and sharing the video.

Well well. I agree with you but partially.

In India, we don't usually do such speeds to actually oversteer, which can be possible in rains but due to the condition of roads in our country, one would rather get toppled over before oversteer. I get your logic, that if old tyres are at the back, the car will skid (back end out) and it would not be easy to regain control. But, I also feel that if old ones are at the back, chances are that the car will understeer on hard cornering. This way, one would not be able to stop also as in some Indian cars, discs are at front and it is the first set (front) to get locked and slip. So if we have worn out tyres at the front end, we would not be able to even steer/handle the car in an emergency braking move. Well it is a lot of logic involved but my guess is that no method is safe. And in India, I would personally prefer new tyres at the front because our cars hardly oversteer (most of us cut corners at less than 60 kmph) and instead, emergency braking and steering moves are much common. And in that case, I think my logic is right! [;)]

Anyway thank you for bringing this to my notice, I didn't have oversteer in mind earlier.
Thanks 'ice_wise' for the suggestion.

It was a great relief for me, after hearing good words. I will be going to change the tyre positions by this weekend. [:)]
Sorry for delay response.. was busy this whole weekend for shopping and all.

Do not install different tyres on the live axle or the driving wheels. In other words, do not install two different tyres on the front left side and front right side of your i10 (since i10 is a FWD car).

Thread Starter #7
Do not install different tyres on the live axle or the driving wheels. In other words, do not install two different tyres on the front left side and front right side of your i10 (since i10 is a FWD car).
Thanks Raj for info.. I got bridgestone on front and falken on rear wheels.

Thanks Raj for info.. I got bridgestone on front and falken on rear wheels.
That is okay.

It is always better to have same tyres on all 4 wheels, especially because different tread patterns can behave differently under the same road surface/conditions. But having them in front and rear is manageable.

Top Bottom