How Shall I Protect the Back of My Sedan?

Thread Starter #1
My Dad recently bought a new Honda City.
It so happened that my driver's slipper got stuck in the car's door mat while parking and he accidentally left the clutch resulting the car to hit a concrete wall behind. It got a small but deep dent near the logo ;(. I will get it repaired for sure but, after that I don't want such mishap to happen again because it was very heart breaking. Suggest me a way to protect my car at the back and also at the front such that if something touches my car it shouldn't affect the body. Will a spoiler work :P?
Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
My Dad recently bought a new Honda City.
It so happened that my driver's slipper got stuck in the car's door mat while parking and he accidentally left the clutch resulting the car to hit a concrete wall behind. It got a small but deep dent near the logo. after that I don't want such mishap to happen again because it was very heart breaking. Suggest me a way to protect my car at the back and also at the front such that if something touches my car it shouldn't affect the body. Will a spoiler work?
Hi Gaurav, Please fix rear/reversing view camera that would enable the driver to judge the space and distance while parking. For front and back bumpers you may place transparent bumper protectors as it would help to protect minor nudges in traffic and while turning too. A spoiler wont be of any help as it only provides a sort of aerodynamics at high speeds. Also, Please avoid using SUV type metal crash guards as it shall hamper the working of airbag sensors and adds un-needed weight on the car.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Akash for your advice :)
I already have a reversing camera and the reason of the accident was because of the slopy parking area and sudden release of brake. What is a transparent bumper?

@Gaurav:
The incident you have mentioned is a sheer negligence at your driver's end and there is no way to protect the tailgate of the sedan if it's and SUV or heavy vehicle hitting from back.

BTW pressing the clutch or releasing the handbrake can result in the car rolling back to hit the wall etc but releasing the clutch causing this type of incident is over my head.

Rest there is one and only solution, if you can try. This is the only available solution to your problem:
images.jpg

First thing fire the driver.
Such things are bound to happen. Just let it be and get it done later on.
Sheer negligence of the driver and he must be punished.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thanks Akash
I attached the picture. Should I replace the whole door? or denting and rubbing will do the trick?
This is actually not a small dent. Matching this curve line would be very difficult unless its repaired by OEM. At ASC too, factory finish for such intricate damage is not possible. I would say go in for insurance and get the boot door changed. As of the bumper, a re-spray is ok.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
I was also thinking about that @Akash. I heard that the insurance doesn't cover metal objects. I don't know if it true. However have any idea how much it will cost without insurance for the whole door?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I heard that the insurance doesn't cover metal objects. I don't know if it true.
Buddy car insurance does definitely cover the metal parts. However coverage percentage on Plastic/Glass parts is subjective.

However have any idea how much it will cost without insurance for the whole door?
For repairing without insurance, At ASC it would cost around 5K to 6K + Labor. Outside if you get it repaired, It can be done in 2.5 to 3K. However, do note, non-asc paint finish might not be matching to the color of whole car so be a bit careful.

Regards

Akash

Matching this curve line would be very difficult unless its repaired by OEM. At ASC too, factory finish for such intricate damage is not possible.
It depends on the skill of tinker and painter along with the facilities. It could be repaired to factory finish if given in hands of the one who knows what has to be done and what is he doing
insurance doesn't cover metal objects. I don't know if it true.
[surprise] Who said?
Based on the type of insurance plastic parts were not covered or only a portion is covered. Regarding the metal parts, it is always covered under insurance.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
He is a very old driver and the best one I've ever come across. Mistakes happen
I agree, but Gaurav, wearing correct foot-ware is also important. In the first post, you mentioned, accident happened as the "slippers" of the driver got stuck. So, I would suggest and request you to tell your driver not to drive with slippers. Wear sports shoes/normal shoes and then drive.

Regards

Akash

@Gaurav:
Have you got a zero dep insurance? If yes, the go and claim both tailgate and rear bumper.

If no, then you will have to pay a bit more, still get the tailgate replaced and bumper repaired.

Actually the type of dents you have got can't be repaired to perfection, some tinkering (filling some filler after minir repairs) type jugad may work though. This type of dents can't be removed using paintless removal and that makes the thing really tricky. Adding to this, you won't get the perfect detailing on the crease, at least easily it won't come.

My advise:
Go to A.S.S. and check with the body shop department. Check with the SA there if this tailgate can be replaced and how? If they are willing to do this on this much damage only then it's good (for zero dep insurance; maybe they will easily agree) and if they are unwilling then comes the painful part. Find a pole and reverse your car into it (slowly, 10-15 kph) and repeat the process of visiting the A.S.S. again.
If your insurance is comprehensive (without zero dep), then go the way SA at body shop recommends.

What story to tell? Tailgated by another vehicle on highway. Heavy and hicle indeed.

Last edited:

Top Bottom