Tubeless Tyres in Steel Rims and Tyre Upsizing

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I am planning to change tyres on my 2007 wagon R, since all the tyres were showing some airline cracks and bulging on side walls. Recently one of the tyre got burst. I have replaced that with a spare tyre which is also bad. So i need to buy two tyres for now.

My question is whether i should change all four tyres or just two tyres is enough?

Also i am currently having a bridgestone 145/70/R13 tube type tyre on steel rims. Can i up size with 155/65/R13 tubeless tyres on steel rims or i should stick with the tube type tyres?

What are the pros and cons of tubeless tyres on steel rims? I have seen many peoples using tubeless tyres on stock rims... please advice me[confused]

20150905_214033.jpg

20150905_213805.jpg

Hi, I am no tyre upgrade expert, but as a thumb rule, please have all 4 tyres changed if you have crossed over 40/50k Km on these set, they are pretty worn out.

Moreover, MS recommends 145/80 R13 (LXi, LX), so go as per your manual, also because you are in a coastal area there is bound to be rust in the inner side of the wheels, (your car is 8 yrs old) remove all 5 tyres and get your wheels sandblasted/scrapped and repainted, and then put new tyres.

Hope this helps.

If you have some money to spent, search on OLX or QUIKR for used R13 alloys. There is high possibility that you may get lucky.

Bridgestone [Turanza AR20] 155/70 R13 is a good tyre for WagonR; when thinking for upgrade. These tyres are light weight and good for Indian roads. You car GC may lower down by 5-6 mm only, so no need to worry on that.

As like "NanoFreak" said, go for the rim treatment and get them painted.

Thread Starter #5
Hi, I am no tyre upgrade expert, but as a thumb rule, please have all 4 tyres changed if you have crossed over 40/50k Km on these set, they are pretty worn out.

Moreover, MS recommends 145/80 R13 (LXi, LX), so go as per your manual, also because you are in a coastal area there is bound to be rust in the inner side of the wheels, (your car is 8 yrs old) remove all 5 tyres and get your wheels sandblasted/scrapped and repainted, and then put new tyres.

Hope this helps.
Hi Nanofreak,

This is type1 wagonR, that comes with 145/70R13 tyres for LXI and 155/70R13 for VXI models. So i have only option of choosing 155/70R13 tyres and it will be safer up size. And the wheels seems to be ok for me..

Change all the tyres at the earliest.You can upsize to 155. This may lower your GC.
yes it will reduce GC but it is marginal.. Thanks

If you have some money to spent, search on OLX or QUIKR for used R13 alloys. There is high possibility that you may get lucky.

Bridgestone [Turanza AR20] 155/70 R13 is a good tyre for WagonR; when thinking for upgrade. These tyres are light weight and good for Indian roads. You car GC may lower down by 5-6 mm only, so no need to worry on that.

As like "NanoFreak" said, go for the rim treatment and get them painted.
Hi Amit,

I can't spent on alloys, and i would prefer steel rims over it.

Bridgestone Turanza is good tyre, but it is not in my budget. I am thinking on Apollo or Faken or MRF tubeless tyres.

145/70 to 155/65 upsize won't do any harm as there is only neglible change in total circumference. The speedometer error also will be minimal. Most of the OEMs are giving steel rims with tubeless tyres in their lower variants. So this can't be a problem. But still double confirm with one or two tyre dealers. As your rims are used for 40-50K KMs its better to clean up and repaint for ensuring rust free and even surfaces. The load index and speed (Eg: 86H) of the new tires will be higher most probably in an upsizing. But make sure these values are not lesser than the stock tires.

Another thing to look for is the tires are not fouling with the inner walls of the wheel arch or some other component while steering is turned extreme right or left, as the tyre width is increased. Change in GC will be too negligible (around 1cm) as the change in profile is too less. But again nothing to worry as 155/65 is a standard upsize in WagonR I think.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
145/70 to 155/65 upsize won't do any harm as there is only neglible change in total circumference. The speedometer error also will be minimal. Most of the OEMs are giving steel rims with tubeless tyres in their lower variants. So this can't be a problem. But still double confirm with one or two tyre dealers. As your rims are used for 40-50K KMs its better to clean up and repaint for ensuring rust free and even surfaces. The load index and speed (Eg: 86H) of the new tires will be higher most probably in an upsizing. But make sure these values are not lesser than the stock tires.

Another thing to look for is the tires are not fouling with the inner walls of the wheel arch or some other component while steering is turned extreme right or left, as the tyre width is increased. Change in GC will be too negligible (around 1cm) as the change in profile is too less. But again nothing to worry as 155/65 is a standard upsize in WagonR I think.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.. yes 155/65/r13 is standard upsize for wagonR as VXI variant comes with same tyre profile as stock. But the speed and circumference will reduce after the upsize and that too very low margin. Speed reduces to 69.8mph from 70mph

I checked it here Tyre Upsizing, Tyre Upsizing Calculator, Tyre Upgrade, Upgrading tyres, Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Authorised Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Michelin India, Michelin Tyres, tyrestore chennai

Need suggestion

Hello friends .
This is Subho from Kolkata I am a new member n this forum.
I have tata indica vista Terra 1.4tdi model car I am planning to change my car 4tyres but the problem is last day I chacking my car wheels properly after checking I noticed one wheel tyre is tubeless and other 3 wheel tyre is tube type so am little bit confused what to do now.
Can I replaced 3 tube type tyres with tubeless or not?

A few points to keep in mind while buying tyres.
1. Choose the tyre you wish to buy based on your usage, road conditions, and budget.
For eg Michelin is good for city driving but not advisable for broken roads as it's compound is relatively soft.
Personally i like Bridgestone.
2. Find out price at different dealers by calling them. Shortlist two.
3. At the dealer check personally each Tyre for its manufacturing date. Don't trust the dealer, learn to read the tyre specifications here KNOW YOUR TIRE | TYRE SIZE AND TYPES - JK TYRE
4. Don't buy if it's more than a year old. The newer the better. Because tyres undergo degradation even on shelf.
5.choose the best of the old tyres for use as spare.
Don't rely on them to choose for you. Checking Your Tires for Wear - For Dummies
6. Get the wheel alignment and balancing done.
7.get proper receipt for the purpose of online warranty registration.
8. Thank the dealer and off you go.
I hope it will help newbies like me. I jotted these after my own bad experience at a tyre dealer.

I had an Alto,(2006,,sold in 2011) upgraded to R13 . I actually put Wagon R (Old Model) tyres. My experience was wonderful.The road grip was awesome. I could do constant 80 - 90 on highways. I exactly don't remember , but I think it is 155/70 R13, MRF or CEAT.

I had an Alto,(2006,,sold in 2011) upgraded to R13 . I actually put Wagon R (Old Model) tyres. My experience was wonderful.The road grip was awesome. I could do constant 80 - 90 on highways. I exactly don't remember , but I think it is 155/70 R13, MRF or CEAT.
Thanks for the inputs :); this will definitely help me in deciding. Can you also tell me what brands are good; my driving is mostly city and little bit of highways in a month.

Hi Scorpking,
I bought a Estilo recently & runs on similar size tyres. After all these 2 cars are the same except for the height & a few bits here & there. I am using 145/70R13 2014 make Bridgestone tyres.

I would suggest you to upgrade to 155/65R13 is a good option. You wont miss out too much on comfort, the grip levels will be marginally better. On a scale of bakwass to brilliant. This is how I see tyres brands that are available.

Cheapest in price & quality to better tyres:
All chinese
JK tyres (good for nothing - hard loud )
MRF tyres (okayish)
Apollo
Bridgestone
Michelin (peace of mind)
Tyres are one of those things that you wont spend money often on. Once you put new tyres you are not going to change the set for the next 4 - 5years. So dont think of saving money here. Just a honest advice. Bridgestone for some reason has uneven button wear issues no matter how cautious you are in terms of maintenance. MRF is cheap & okay. Stay away from JK/china/taiwan etc

All the best

Top Bottom