Hyundai Santro Xing GL (2010) Headlight Upgrade

Thread Starter #1
Team,
I have a Santro GL 2010 model which is running with its stock headlight...but neither the focusing of the light is good nor its brightness[cry]. It is really very difficult to drive the car at night in the highway because of poor lighting condition of the stock bulb (55/60 w ?). I would like to upgrade my headlight. I know, i need to install relay to avoid any issue of stock car battery. Please guide me what are the options i can go for , which relay/bulb i should use without affecting battery or car performance in long term and if possible associated cost. Is it OK to upgrade the headlight or i should stick to what i am getting anyway ?
Thanks,

i had seen a car in trivandrum - Santro black
Projector , DRL tube fixed within, i would rate 7/10 , it looks aesthetically okay ,but does it serve the purpose is under question.

Thread Starter #3
i had seen a car in trivandrum - Santro black
Projector , DRL tube fixed within, i would rate 7/10 , it looks aesthetically okay ,but does it serve the purpose is under question.
Thanks Vishnu for your reply..
Yes, actually i am worried if there is any negative impact on my car if i go for high power (90/100) headlight with Relay ?
I heard that in long term it might have some issue due to extra heat generation from the light...any idea if it is so ?

If your car doesn't have any added (heavy) electrical accessories, go for 100/90w kit. Yes, it does harm the reflectors (a few) on long run, but that's negligible considering the advantage that you get from them.

If your car doesn't have any added (heavy) electrical accessories, go for 100/90w kit. Yes, it does harm the reflectors (a few) on long run, but that's negligible considering the advantage that you get from them.
Well, is damaging your car intentionally really worth it? Keep in mind that once the reflectors begin to suffer, most if not all of the upgrade benefit will slowly disappear (Literally).

Depending on whether @Suvajit is open to wiring/housing modifications or not, he could examine HIDs as @VishnuCarCrazy suggested, or upgrade to more efficient bulbs. If it's been 5 years on the stock bulbs, they're likely near the end of their life regardless.

When it comes to the Santro Xing specifically, I have had a long-standing suspicion that the headlight reflectors are poorly designed to fit the body, they just never seem to throw the right beam pattern!

Thread Starter #6
Hi Boss , Viru,
Thanks for your valuable inputs.

So you guys are confirming that upgrading to 90/100 will surely affect car's reflector in long term. That is what i wanted to know.

I do not have any heavy accessories installed in my car apart from JBL & Sony speakers and at present i am not using stock bulbs instead of i had purchased Philips Diamond vision (whitish form, 55/60 w/o any relay) from a retail and using it since couple of years. But believe me friends, i am not getting desired output, also focusing is bad - light hardly appears on road and it disperse upper side (may be truck driver's cursed me) , i generally use low beam most of the time. I had checked the issue to various service centre's including carnation, bridgestone but no luck --they did some adjustment but still not getting the right focusing.

So, thinking to stuck on 55/60 with a brighter yellow light option. A local mechanic said if i install relay on 55/60, it would produce brighter light than what i am getting and no need to go for upgradation. Is it true ? Your suggestion please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, is damaging your car intentionally really worth it? Keep in mind that once the reflectors begin to suffer, most if not all of the upgrade benefit will slowly disappear (Literally).
Not every reflector gets damaged. I have hands on experience with Wagon-R & Alto which ran for over 1.5L km, Honda City & Sunny with over 20k km & 1+ years of ownership. ALl these cars are with 100/90W kit and the HL reflector was shining like new till date.
Depending on whether @Suvajit is open to wiring/housing modifications or not, he could examine HIDs as @VishnuCarCrazy suggested, or upgrade to more efficient bulbs. If it's been 5 years on the stock bulbs, they're likely near the end of their life regardless.
HIDs without projectors? Are you aware of the consequence?

Not every reflector gets damaged. I have hands on experience with Wagon-R & Alto which ran for over 1.5L km, Honda City & Sunny with over 20k km & 1+ years of ownership. ALl these cars are with 100/90W kit and the HL reflector was shining like new till date.

HIDs without projectors? Are you aware of the consequence?
That's the perplexing thing, too many contradictory experiences. I have a hunch that the issues mainly occur when the lights are in use for extended periods of time (ie. Long drives). Although the reflectors' design could have something to do with the heat dissipation as well, which means we should find some Santro-specific information.

Who said HIDs without projectors? [lol]

Hi Boss , Viru,
Thanks for your valuable inputs..
So you guys are confirming that upgrading to 90/100 will surely affect car's reflector in long term. That is what i wanted to know..
I do not have any heavy accessories installed in my car apart from JBL & Sony speakers...and at present i am not using stock bulbs instead of i had purchased Philips Diamond vision (whitish form, 55/60 w/o any relay) from a retail and using it since couple of years. But believe me friends, i am not getting desired output, also focusing is bad - light hardly appears on road and it disperse upper side (may be truck driver's cursed me) , i generally use low beam most of the time. I had checked the issue to various service centre's including carnation, bridgestone but no luck --they did some adjustment but still not getting the right focusing.
So, thinking to stuck on 55/60 with a brighter yellow light option. A local mechanic said if i install relay on 55/60, it would produce brighter light than what i am getting and no need to go for upgradation. Is it true ? Your suggestion please....
Now that's interesting information. Are you certain the lights were aligned correctly after being switched? A lamp of a slightly different size/shape would require the housing to be aimed again to account for this. Here's a great article on doing it yourself: How to Adjust Your Headlights - Aim Your Headlights

Also, higher color temperatures are more prone to scattering. What is the state of your headlight lenses/covers? Are they misted or yellowed?

I doubt just installing a relay would make a difference. Is there any specific reason he thinks this?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Hi Viru,

Thanks for the article link -- really helpful.

Mine is Philips Diamond vision , its whitish blue in color - but certainly not good in regards of brightness.

i literally get blind on highway when other side vehicle running with high beam.

i will visit this week few accessories shop and check out various options to increase my headlight power - may be high capacity bulb, installing relay etc.

By the way, i guess, installing HIDs is a very expensive option. no idea about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #10
Visited a car accessories shop today. Guy told me that installing relay would hardly make any difference even if i opted for high watt headlights(90/100). He told me to install HID rather which he was quoted of 4K with 1 year replacement guarantee (Chinese product available in 2K w/o any warranty). Now i need to make a decision.
Any suggestion guys ? Does relay really makes any difference in terms of headlight power/brightness or better to go for costly HID option?

Does relay really makes any difference in terms of headlight power/brightness or better to go for costly HID option?
1) Only Relay (without higher wattage bulbs) doesn't make any sense.
2) HIDs without projector is not advisable.

Visited a car accessories shop today. Guy told me that installing relay would hardly make any difference even if i opted for high watt headlights(90/100). He told me to install HID rather which he was quoted of 4K with 1 year replacement guarantee (Chinese product available in 2K w/o any warranty). Now i need to make a decision.
Any suggestion guys ? Does relay really makes any difference in terms of headlight power/brightness or better to go for costly HID option?
The guys is taking you for a ride by upselling.. just put a Philips relay (with ceramic holders) with Minda 100/90 pair. No cutting, no warranty issues.. have used in a Santro for close to 2 years without any effect on the reflectors.

Super bright light.. Cost Rs. 1250 all inclusive.

Thread Starter #13
Friends, finally installed 90/100 pair yellow phoenix lamps (formerly known as 'halonix') bulb with Hi-Lek ceramic bulb holders relay. Total cost Rs 1000/- after negotiation. Must say, headlight becomes bright now, but i need to have a long drive (expecting soon) for final verdict. One thing noticed, i may need to adjust focusing of deeper (hi-beam) light, mechanic said motor might need to replace since it is supposed to be automatic adjustment. Will check the focus alignment soon. Hope, high capacity bulb will not damage reflectors or other circuits in long run.

Top Bottom