Honda City Headlamps

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I have a 2009 Honda City VAT and I would like to change it's headlights to a more powerful one. The current bulbs are the Honda OEM ones and they are extremely useless during night driving.

I am looking for after-market headlight bulbs which are towards the white colour temperature with good throw and good lumen.

After considerable amount of research I have gotten absolutely no where regarding which among the Philips bulbs will be suitable for my car.
The specifications for Honda City headlight is 12V; 60/55W; H4.

I would also like to know about the other possible mods I can do to the rest of my lights.

Gets HIDs with or without projectors. The City iVtec had really poor headlights and I have had some horrifying first hand experiences with the same in my friends' car.
We switched to HIDs without projectors and are more than satisfied with the results.

Thread Starter #3
HIDs are great but they are not strictly legal and using HIDs without projectors will blind the traffic. Any other way to fix this issue?

What about Philips and Osram halogens?

Try upgrading the lights to 100/90 H4 Bulbs. DO a parallel wiring kit too , to increase the efficiency.

Try any Philips Bulb as they offer better efficiency.

Hello Friends,

I have a 2009 Honda City VAT and I would like to change it's headlights to a more powerful one. The current bulbs are the Honda OEM ones and they are extremely useless during night driving.

I am looking for after-market headlight bulbs which are towards the white colour temperature with good throw and good lumen.

After considerable amount of research I have gotten absolutely no where regarding which among the Philips bulbs will be suitable for my car.
The specifications for Honda City headlight is 12V; 60/55W; H4.

I would also like to know about the other possible mods I can do to the rest of my lights.
Gets HIDs with or without projectors. The City iVtec had really poor headlights and I have had some horrifying first hand experiences with the same in my friends' car.
We switched to HIDs without projectors and are more than satisfied with the results.
Use of HIDs without projectors is not recommended. Let someone drive the car without projectors fitted with HIDs and face the same.....you will know why. It only blinds the oncoming traffic as too much light is scattered from the reflectors meant for halogen bulbs hence no useful light.

I have been using Osram 65W H7 bulbs in my low beams and they are worth it.

Thread Starter #6
Try upgrading the lights to 100/90 H4 Bulbs. DO a parallel wiring kit too , to increase the efficiency.

Try any Philips Bulb as they offer better efficiency.
Yes, the local workshop people told me the same thing but they also told me sometimes the reflectors can't take the heat of the 100/90W bulbs and they begin to darken.
If that happens, they we will have to replace the whole housing.

Apart from that, there was a post from another Honda owner that I read a few months ago. He upgraded it and the Headlight dome plastic developed a 'crack' like plastic deformation.

Use of HIDs without projectors is not recommended. Let someone drive the car without projectors fitted with HIDs and face the same.....you will know why. It only blinds the oncoming traffic as too much light is scattered from the reflectors meant for halogen bulbs hence no useful light.

I have been using Osram 65W H7 bulbs in my low beams and they are worth it.
Ahh.. Osram Nightbreakers are very famous. Are Osram bulbs reliable?

If you want a simple solution, you can always switch to better headlamps. The best ones I came across when researching the subject were Osram Night Breaker Unlimited.

Keep in mind that while this would make a noticeable difference, it wouldn't be as bright as HIDs with projectors. However, if you don't want to modify your housing or electricals, it would be a good way to go.

Thread Starter #9
I think I should go for the Osram Night Breaker. It's affordable and doesn't need any modifications to the wiring. Plus like Viru said it's got positive reviews.

Does anyone know the bulb type for the Fog lamps and the parking lights? The Owner's Manual doesn't tell anything about specifications.

Just wanted to add one thing. Keep in mind that Osram makes 2 types of Night Breaker bulb: Night Breaker Plus and Night Breaker Unlimited. NB Plus isn't bad, but NB Unlimited is what you want!

Are your fog lamps factory fitted? The parking lights on your model should be T10 if I'm not mistaken.

Thread Starter #11
Just wanted to add one thing. Keep in mind that Osram makes 2 types of Night Breaker bulb: Night Breaker Plus and Night Breaker Unlimited. NB Plus isn't bad, but NB Unlimited is what you want!

Are your fog lamps factory fitted? The parking lights on your model should be T10 if I'm not mistaken.
Thank you, I will make sure it is Night Breaker Unlimited. Oh by the way, does Osram last long?

Yes, the fog lamps are stock.

There are a lot of T10 LED bulbs available online. If i'm not mistaken, there isn't much to think about while buying parking lights, right?

I believe you can look up the predicted lifespan by bulb type on the Osram website.

Can't seem to find information on that, but it's probably an H1, H3 or H11 bulb, the best way would be to just check for yourself!

Well, there's actually a couple of factors I considered (I'm very specific about things) when I was buying T10 LEDs:

1. Dimensions - I bought in bulk for multiple applications so confirmed they'd fit
2. LED type - I went for 5050 SMD, another member on this forum helped me with that (Electronics aren't my Forte)
3. Brightness (Didn't want it to be obnoxiously bright or too dim)
4. Polarity - This matters since LEDs will only work if installed in the correct orientation, so I'd pick ones that can be reversed
5. CANBUS - Essentially a resistor to work around cars with bulb failure warnings. If your vehicle doesn't have this warning, don't buy CANBUS as it wastes energy

I ended up with something similar to this: 2pcs Exceed White T10 5 SMD 5050 Car Light Bulb Lamp W5W 168 194 921 912 12V OB3 | eBay

I have philips xtreme vision H4 on my honda city. It is direct fit and no need to modify any wiring. I am pretty much satisfied. I am not in favor of white head lights as it blinds oncoming traffic. Just my 2 cents. [:D]

@Adarsh - Did you replace the headlights with Osram night Breaker Unlimited 100/90 H4?
What is your feedback?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

i am facing same issue . but i used HID, with projector, without projector . finally i replace the whole headlight set . and now using the company fitted bulb. I am just really frustrated when i am driving in night . but in 2015 model the idtec have bright headlight , because they using 2 bulb in one headlight means total 4 bulb .

but my own car 2010 ivtec : no solution i m getting properly . only one solution i need to use high voltage normal yellow bulb .

Problem if high powered HID is , in highway , trucks who not using back light and using black canvas as covering them . the HID not able to give clarity .

only yellow colors bulb have clarity .

bcoz i really hate the milky white hid , which have not any clarity in fog & highway but good inside city ,but honda city is best for highway,so, i don't like it.

Any solution for my car, which bulb will be better.

No HID please. I spent 32000 and now those are useless. I preferred NORMAL BULB with HIGH POWER & NO MILKY WHITE .

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom