TVS Scooty Streak Headlight Replacement

Thread Starter #1
Hi, Our reliable TVS Scooty streak (3 years old) in the recent days started throwing less light from its OEM headlight bulb and I fear the headlight bulb is on its end of its usable period. The user manual does show only its power rating as 35W/35W. The headlight throws only meagre light making night riding potentially unsafe and I need to replace it ASAP. I am now stuck with which philips light to go for (in my order of preference)
1. Crystal vision (HS1, 12v ,35W/35W, base:PX43t-38)
2. Premium vision (HS1, 12V, 35W/35W, base:Px43t)
3. Premium vision (M5, 12V, 35W/35W, base:P15d-25-3)
I am confused whether to go for HS1 or M5 and I need your help here guys.

PS: Mods I searched for potential streak headlight upgrade threads and didn't find anything positive, so started a new thread. If you feel this thread is out of place please feel free to merge under respective section/thread.

Hello eigenvalue,

It's great to hear from another Streak owner, there's very few of us around here!

I would believe that's a likely scenario, my Streak's headlight failed after about 2.5 years.

I personally decided against Crystal Visions, as they have a very heavy blue tint which severely filters the light output, rendering it less effective in foggy and/or rainy conditions. However, if you typically have nicer weather than I do in Delhi, a benefit is that they are rated for a higher light intensity.

Premium vision are a safe bet, being a high quality non-tinted bulb. They would provide good all-weather vision, but at a lower light intensity.

I also struggled to decide between HS1 and M5 until I tried them both out. HS1 gives a more focused beam while M5 give you more spread, so it's up to your needs.

FYI: On my Streak, I decided to go with a lightly tinted (Xenon Blue) Halonix M5 bulb: Phoenixlamps: Automotive M5. It matches my white LED running lamps to some extent, while providing good light spread and output.

Thread Starter #3
@ Viru,
Thanks for the suggestions.
The weather pattern in and around my area of use of my streak calls very little for fog. But the streak on certain times runs on a totally unlit country road (total darkness as the roads are bordered by cashew trees without any street lighting) requiring a decent lighting and so I listed out premium vision. The main reason for philips is because of its ease to buy through amazon. And certainly the halonix m5 (xb), if found in my local market would make it to my streak, else will settle on premium vision. Will update on the happenings soon.

I look forward to hearing from you!

One thing I forgot to mention: after installing the new lamp, make sure you align it (correcting it's aim on the road)! This is simple on a Streak - there is a bolt on the bottom of the headlamp housing (Size 14mm if I remember correctly). Loosen it, adjust the headlamp gently up/down as required, then tighten it again (but not too tight).

Hi, Our reliable TVS Scooty streak (3 years old) in the recent days started throwing less light from its OEM headlight bulb and I fear the headlight bulb is on its end of its usable period. The user manual does show only its power rating as 35W/35W. The headlight throws only meagre light making night riding potentially unsafe and I need to replace it ASAP. I am now stuck with which philips light to go for (in my order of preference)
1. Crystal vision (HS1, 12v ,35W/35W, base:PX43t-38)
2. Premium vision (HS1, 12V, 35W/35W, base:Px43t)
3. Premium vision (M5, 12V, 35W/35W, base:P15d-25-3)
I am confused whether to go for HS1 or M5 and I need your help here guys.
Hi Eigen Value,
First of all, are you sure if the headlamp glass is crystal clear and doesn't show signs of blurring? As per the specs of M5 bulb, it wont fit in your holder. The picture is misleading because the bulb shown is a H4 while the spec sheet mentions a P15d base. Means a 15mm diameter base like a CD100 headlight bulb.
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=P...a=X&ei=YEKfVenBLMi10gTnrIDYBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Choose a H4 bulb with P43t base. Use a multimeter, set it to 200V AC mode and check the voltage you get at the bulb terminals. A derated voltage regulator could also reduce brightness.
Go through this thead also.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ooter-motorcycle-headlight-brighter-80-a.html

OT: I am also from TN31-Y [:D]

Thread Starter #6
Got my hands into the streak's headlight assembly to clear my dubieties on the bulb. My headlamp glass is spick-and-span and doesn't show any blurring.
Checked the voltage to be around 10-10.5V AC in the connector pins, and the rated is around 12V. Is there a problem with the voltage regulator or is the 1.5-2V variation is normal. I measured the voltage at idling speeds, without any accelerator input. Could you please identify the connector type (and it looks like p15d base to me). The connector has three pins and the bulb's base has two as in image 3 and 4. The px43t bulbs have three pins.
So which one I should go for?

OT: @ilangop, Just now saw your location as Neyveli. I did my entire schooling in neyveli (jawahar matric to be precise) and its good to hear from you.

Attachments

Hi Eigen Value,
First of all, are you sure if the headlamp glass is crystal clear and doesn't show signs of blurring? As per the specs of M5 bulb, it wont fit in your holder. The picture is misleading because the bulb shown is a H4 while the spec sheet mentions a P15d base. Means a 15mm diameter base like a CD100 headlight bulb.
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=P...a=X&ei=YEKfVenBLMi10gTnrIDYBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Choose a H4 bulb with P43t base. Use a multimeter, set it to 200V AC mode and check the voltage you get at the bulb terminals. A derated voltage regulator could also reduce brightness.
Go through this thead also.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ooter-motorcycle-headlight-brighter-80-a.html

OT: I am also from TN31-Y [:D]
Sorry to interrupt here, just wanted to mention that the Streak can accommodate both HS1 (Px43t) and M5 bulbs. This is actually an interesting situation I discovered while working on mine. Essentially, the housing is designed to fit an HS1 (You can see this as the hole in the housing fits HS1 perfectly, but not an H4. However, TVS (for an unknown reason) sells the Streak fitted with a Fokal M5 bulb (Which is terrible) via what is basically an adapter. To fit an HS1, all you'd have to do is change the holder (5 minute job).

Got my hands into the streak's headlight assembly to clear my dubieties on the bulb. My headlamp glass is spick-and-span and doesn't show any blurring.
Checked the voltage to be around 10-10.5V AC in the connector pins, and the rated is around 12V. Is there a problem with the voltage regulator or is the 1.5-2V variation is normal. I measured the voltage at idling speeds, without any accelerator input. Could you please identify the connector type (and it looks like p15d base to me). The connector has three pins and the bulb's base has two as in image 3 and 4. The px43t bulbs have three pins.

OT: @ilangop, Just now saw your location as Neyveli. I did my entire schooling in neyveli (jawahar matric to be precise) and its good to hear from you.
An M5 would be a direct swap, while HS1 would need you to swap the holder. The HS1 holder fits perfectly with the Streak, so the replacement is cheap and easy. H4 would be tricky to fit, and is also hard to find in 35/35W.

I also don't know if you did this intentionally, but you're touching the headlamp with that dirty cloth! Any grease from fingers and/or other objects creates "Hot Spots" on the bulb, drastically shortening it's life. Hence, if you ever have to deal with headlights, wear clean gloves and/or don't touch the glass.

This is a BA20D bulb. The socket measures 20 mm across. You can very easily get Halogen equivalent for this bulb type, a very widely used bulb for Bajaj / Lambretta / Vijai /LML scooters and Rickshaws. Every 2-3 wheeler shop will have a halogen equivalent for sure. Might cost you between 50 - 80 Rs/-. 10-10.5 at idle is fine. It will max at 12 - 12.5 upon revving the engine.

Your bulb glass seems to have blackened a little on the left side in the picture. Not sure if it is because of the lighting.
I also don't know if you did this intentionally, but you're touching the headlamp with that dirty cloth! Any grease from fingers and/or other objects creates "Hot Spots" on the bulb, drastically shortening it's life. Hence, if you ever have to deal with headlights, wear clean gloves and/or don't touch the glass.
Though not sure about the M5 bulb type, thanks to the tip you gave regarding handling a bulb.

-Ilango

Last edited:
Re: TVS Scooty Streak Regulator change

Dear owner,

Now a days all scooty have made with high power lights I mean 60watts maximum.

If you upgrade your regulator to (LML). It provides you 60 watts maximum power to headlight. It is simple to wire it.

First, remove yellow wire and grew wire which is connected in company regulator.

Second, join those wire and connect it to general pin in LML regulator.

Third, connect a ground wire to the ground pin in LML regulator.

Forth, change your headlight bulb to 60watts

That's all
Finally test it out Ivan get full power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom