Toyota Fortuner Bulb Guide

Thread Starter #1
Hi All [:)]
I am thinking of changing my Fortuner 2015 bulbs like the high beam to LED High beam and License plate lights to White LEDs. Can anyone tell me the types of bulbs because there is no way for me to check since the car is back home in Kerala. I am also thinking of getting Off-road LED 20 Inch Bar to install between the lower lip and grill. Can anyone suggest me on the legality and if its allowed?[confused] These are the LED light bar and can anyone suggest me the size required or are 20 inch fine?

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Fortuner Bulb Guide

Hi All
License plate lights to White LEDs. Can anyone tell me the types of bulbs because there is no way for me to check since the car is back home in Kerala.
For number plate you can use these type of LEDs. I have also used them in my Honda City. I had normal OEM yellow bulbs and changed it to Red with these type of bulbs. I bought a pair for 250/- from Bombay. Also try buying them online.

41hh1K4zlSL._SY300_.jpg

I am also thinking of getting Off-road LED 20 Inch Bar to install between the lower lip and grill. Can anyone suggest me on the legality and if its allowed?
Not allowed as per law. But people have tendency to go over-board.

Regards

Akash

Pic

Fortuner Bulb Guide

Hi All [:)]
I am thinking of changing my Fortuner 2015 bulbs like the high beam to LED High beam and License plate lights to White LEDs. Can anyone tell me the types of bulbs because there is no way for me to check since the car is back home in Kerala. I am also thinking of getting Off-road LED 20 Inch Bar to install between the lower lip and grill. Can anyone suggest me on the legality and if its allowed?[confused] These are the LED light bar and can anyone suggest me the size required or are 20 inch fine?
LED bulbs for High beam won't be good. They will look better, and may be brighter, but it will not work perfectly on the reflector designed for halogens, due to difference in design of LEDs and Halos. You will end up creating a lot of glare for the oncoming traffic.

Changing license plate lights is okay. Go for a warm white colour, it would look better. There are many designs available in T10 holder shape. There are projector ones (LEDs which project the light to a direction and look brighter), SMD ones (one single piece of SMD LED illuminates, brighter and more power efficient) and LED ones (which have a set of LEDs, better for spreading illumination). Cost would be higher online (due to shipping and other charges), better is to get them from shops. I got 2 Projector type for Rs. 50 from Delhi. They normally don't get kaput and in most cases, a loose fitting results in problems.

Installing a light bar is illegal I think, else everyone would have been having it installed. It produces hell lot of glares if not positioned properly and breaks the stock look very badly IMO. Someone from the legal background would be able to confirm. IMO it would look overdone and getting Hella fog lamps (seperate) on a sleek steel rod (fixed on the lower grill) would be better. [:)]

Regards,
Nikunj

Thread Starter #4

I am in UAE right now so I can get the bulbs locally. As for the LED headlight, the one which I am planning comes with a ballast, it's not HID and it doesn't have warm up time and it's really bright. If it's the same LEDs you're talkin about I'll have to rethink and thanks for the suggestion on the LED light bar, rethinking on that too.
Is there a specific bulb type I should be looking for for example H9 etc for the high beam. It's not physically possible for me to check because car is still in the showroom in Kerala
That's the sample image of the headlight

Attachments

Last edited:
Fortuner Bulb Guide

No I am talking about the LEDs which are direct plug and play. Any bulb (even slightly different than the size of halogen) will be less efficient (less focus, lots of wasted light) in a reflector housing as the light would be coming from a different source/point. It would be better if you can source halogen bulbs from UAE with higher light output as I think the one you are talking about (with ballast) would be chinese made.

AFAIK LEDs don't have warmup time. It would be nice if you could post a picture of the same.

What are your thoughts on Auxiliary Lamps fitted on a steel rod? It will look better than the light bar you are thinking about. One question - Why do you want to upgrade even before getting the car delivered? I mean, without driving the car, you can't comment on the efficiency of the stock setup. Instead, you can get other things like ICE Equipment, car care products and similar things.

About the bulb specs, only the dealer or an owner can confirm. Ask the dealer IMO.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

Just a query: What is the bulb type used in the low beam projectors of fortuner? They are HIDs AFAIK, what I want is the colour temperature.

Upgrading the bulbs improves the night driveability especially in the highways but at the same time it might make the warranty invalid. Any mere non stock replacement even with proper wiring & ballast might result in invalid warranty with respect to electrical / electronic warranty claims. Kindly check with your dealers if you are more concerned about it.

Top Bottom