Tyre Upsize Suggestions For New Swift VDi

Thread Starter #1
I am about to get my swift by next two to three days. Meanwhile went to the yard for formal PDI check about my alloted car. I need urgent help from tyre gurus to upgrade the tyres as soon as possible with the stock rims.

Details of the current set up :

14 inch Stock rim with 165/80/ R14 ( JK Tyres Tornando )

Planning to upgrade - 185/70/R14 with stock rims (Michellin Or Yokoma)

Since I dont have enough money planning to stick with the Stock Rims, so is it wise to do the upgrade for the tyre with the 14 inch stock rims ?

Will be there any drawback on updating this ? (Mileage or Steering Smothness etc)

I am not that good much in car technical aspects. So can you all please help me in choosing the right tires since it is very urgent.

Re: Suggestion to upsize tyre for New Swift VDI

Ananth,you can upgrade on the stock rims.That upgrade will give more road grip and persona for Swift. [cheers]

Thread Starter #3

Thanks generalmax. Will there be any reduction in smoothness or mileage when I go for the upgrade on the stock rims 14 inch (Width 5J) ?

The mileage drop will be very negligible.The speedometer error will be .98%.Means the speedometer will show 101Kmph when its actually 100Kmph.My experience comes from my Ritz VXi.Your VDI is ABS,I think.So lets get some experts advice too before going ahead.

Odometer set up and speedometer may need recalliberation.
The spec of tyre you mentioned,is quite ok,as someone posted,you can try 15 inch rims.
Both Michelin and Yokohama are best in segment,you check the prices of two and then decide.

@Ananth:
Don't think much and no need to go for after market thoughts. Just get the rims and tires from the ZXi or ZDi Swift (I mean same size), they are perfect for Swift.

Thread Starter #7
@ TSIVipul: Thanks for your feedback but my main concern is the amount for rims that is present in zxi or zdi. This is three main reason for thinking to much all sorry on this. Can I do upsize on stock rims of 14 inch.??

@all : due to money strictly no to alloy rims. Hence please suggest best the upgradation on stock rim.

What's the width of the rim?
If the width is lower then go for the tire with higher section else its no use going for a wider rubber on a narrow rim.

All in all, my suggestion is to keep driving on stock tires and upgrade both rims and tires once these are partially or fully worn out, till then save the money. These ones are also not that bad and are quite okay with ABS taking care of braking performance quite well.

Last edited:
@Ananth The said tyre profile(180/70/R14) is fit for your stock rim. Swift ZXi or ZDI have 15 inch rims. I would say you may change your tyre if you get a good buy back price for your JK tornados.Changing to Michelin or Yokos will give a good driving experience.

Thread Starter #10
@TSIVipul : I am not sure about the width of the stock rim in VDI. I guess it should be of 5J.

Also the current stokc tyre is JK Tonando.

@GeneralMax : I checked with a tyre workshop in chennai and they have quoted 2500 as buypack but not sure they will change their mind once they see the brand..

See buddy, I will stick to my advise of 'save now and purchase all at once' because putting wider rubber on these rims won't actually give the results as good as it will on the right sized rims.

Thread Starter #12
@TSIVipul Thanks for the input. Let me think but is this JK tornando is good tyre ?? So that I can stick to the stock for some time until it gets weared down..

@GeneralMax : I checked with a tyre workshop in chennai and they have quoted 2500 as buypack but not sure they will change their mind once they see the brand..
If they are giving 2500 per tyre,go for exchange.You may have to pay 10,000 extra for all five tyres..JKs I really don't like.Sorry about that.The ride quality is very good with Michelin and Yokohama .

Thread Starter #14
generalmax : Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Will consider when moving to the upgrade. Please other tyre gurus also share your thoughts on this, since the date is nearing.

Need help in upgrading tyres of swift VDI

Hello motorists ,

I own a Maruti Suzuki swift 2012 model . Have completed with 50000kms .
Wanting to change tyres on my ride .

Request you all to kindly help with the brand and size .
Some of my require nets as below .

1. Until 35k Kms my ride was soft and low on road noise but now it is increased a lot
Hence requesting to suggest a good low noise tyre
2. My current tyres not only make loud noise but are also very slippery in wet roads while breaking . Had to pump the brakes to efficiently stop or swerve while stopping . Mostly the tyres screech while braking on wet roads .

Current tyres ;- MRF ZV2K 165/80/R14

I am thinking on upgrading to 185/70/r14. Of falken .

Am I making the right decision do I need to Choose a better brand for my specific requirement ?

Please reply fast I am going for the change in tyres today or max by tomorrow !

Regards
Jatin Ahuja

Top Bottom