Must-Have Accessories For a Taxi : Need Advice!

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I am about to make a decision for 3 cars for my taxi service (yet to begin). The thread is already active : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...arting-taxi-business-deciding-3-new-cars.html.

The decision making talks are done there and I decided to confirm the must-have accessories for the cars, which are to be used as a taxi. The basic list I could make is :

1. Fire Extinguisher
2. Roof Carrier
3. Bull Guards (I don't feel it is useful. What say?)
4. Normal Floor Mats
5. Stitched Steering Cover
6. Reading Lamp (with adjustable neck for the rear passengers)
7. Basic ICE setup (1DIN HU and front Components/Coax.)
8. Seat Covers (Fabric would be better or synthetic?)
9. Basic Tool Kit (with tyre puncture repair kit)
10. GPS Tracker and Gear lock (Steering lock also?)
11. Central locking with immobilizer
12. Blind-spot Mirror (and steering knob also?)

Other than these, please feel free to update the list with more useful accessories. I am not going for any cosmetic modifications as they are simply useless for this segment. Approximate prices, best brands and user reviews of the above products would be appreciated. [:)]

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Nikunj,

Bull Guards in case of cabs are must because the cabs travel in all types of routes. Make sure you select the correct design that does not put much of unnecessary weight on the car bumper.

Add to your list:

* First Aid Kit.

* Compact Air Pump

* Log Book (Not an accessory per say but will help in keeping the account of running and FE)

* Window shades. Those ones which cost 40 Rs for pair of 2/4

* Car Perfume. No passenger likes a smelly cabin.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
@Akash1886:
Thanks for the prompt reply Akash. Regarding the bull guards, I have heard that they are welded/screwed to the chassis frame and result in more damage in case of an accident. They are very helpful in preventing small dings and scratches on the bumper. Correct me if I am wrong. [:)]

And won't the first aid kit that comes with the cars be sufficient for quick aid?

Regards,
Nikunj

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Regarding the bull guards, I have heard that they are welded/screwed to the chassis frame and result in more damage in case of an accident. They are very helpful in preventing small dings and scratches on the bumper. Correct me if I am wrong.
You are right, and I also do not advocate the use of bull guards in general but Cabs travel on hills and highways more than we drive our personal cars. They see more traffic than our personal cars hence for sake of additional safety I suggested. They are indeed welded but then I told you select a design that is in-line with the car's design and does not cause much of added weight. Do a good online/off-line search on the same before deciding.

And won't the first aid kit that comes with the cars be sufficient for quick aid?
No. The OEM first aid kit is not up to mark. Plus the tubes and creams provided might be of expired date. It is better to keep a small bottle of Savlon, Cotton, crape bandage, relispray et al handy.

Regards

Akash

Add few jhonson & jhonson band aid of various sizes to the first aid kit.

A powerful torch,

DVR: This is not a must have accessory but would be helpful to know how your drivers handle the car, and would be an important aid in case of accident insurance claim.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Add few jhonson & jhonson band aid of various sizes to the first aid kit.

A powerful torch,

DVR: This is not a must have accessory but would be helpful to know how your drivers handle the car, and would be an important aid in case of accident insurance claim.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell the approximate prices of DVR? I know it would be sorted under "good to have" rather than "must have" accessories but if the price is not much, I can consider getting one.

Regards,
Nikunj

USB, AUX compatibility and ICE with display unit is must. ICE should be able to support most of the video formats.

-CARleone

Thread Starter #8
@CARleone:
I thought a 1DIN with Aux, USB, etc. would be enough for the driver's music needs. For the passengers, would getting a display unit be a better idea?
- The unit will be costly.
- The display won't be as vivid (or correct in colour) due to the orientation of the unit. The passenger would be seated in the rear seat, so he might face issues while watching videos.
- It would be a distraction for the driver.

Instead, I think a display on the headrest would be better, if possible. Can you tell the cost for it? Though I have a feeling that a 1DIN would be enough.

Regards,
Nikunj

@Niku: The reply was from the perspective of customer. Yes , 1 Din should be enough but with video support. People love vehicles loaded with gizmos, irrespective of they use it or not. Display unit attached to the roof will do, I believe. This decision is also based on the local taste.

Let me give you a scenario, I am a customer. My friends/relatives/Parents ask me to book a vehicle for long trip. I know 2 travels- 1 providing a vehicle with music and another with display unit for the same rate. I will obviously choose one with display unit.

These accessories will give a business advantage as per me. I understand they are costly.[frustration] Don't go for top brands, choose some cheap brands and should be popular among drivers. Talk to cab drivers, they know how to get best things for cheap money. Yes, the music quality should also be good.[music]

And regrading the distraction part, yes they will distract the driver. But really experienced drivers wont be distracted much as per my observation.

-CARleone

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell the approximate prices of DVR? I know it would be sorted under "good to have" rather than "must have" accessories but if the price is not much, I can consider getting one.

Regards,
Nikunj
Steelmate brand was costing 8 k last year, cost also depends on memory.

I have an uncle who use to manage a company with huge fleet of taxis(guessing close to 100) , and one thing they were particular about was driver stress & rest. Usually notice taxi drivers get lazy when tired & don't bother looking much or play me first when at a junction.
To avoid stress & laziness when reversing I strongly suggest you get reverse sensors & cam installed. Also saves time by avoiding silly accidents.

As for car perfume,just go with lime or lemon. Since many people have issues with other flavours.

Top Bottom