Gear Lock For Chevrolet Optra

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys, i am happily driving my Chevrolet optra 1.6. Usually park my car inside my house , but sometimes when i go to some of our relatives house, i park my car on road because of no other option.
Problem is that my has aftermarket central locking but it has no immobilizer. I want to increase the security of my car.
I am thinking to install Gear lock , but unable to find in local shops.
Before i order online ,i want to be sure that it will fit in my car.
So guys please help me by suggesting good and compatible brand gear lock. Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Veerey, in my Optra I had the U clamp one. Got it through ASC. It was of autocop i guess. The U clamp one comes with revitted key so cant be opened by any other key. Optra wont be able to house the single rod one as it needs drill in body to fit. The U clamp type fits easily. The cost of U clamp type gear lock was 2200/-.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Veerey, in my Optra I had the U clamp one. Got it through ASC. It was of autocop i guess. The U clamp one comes with revitted key so cant be opened by any other key. Optra wont be able to house the single rod one as it needs drill in body to fit. The U clamp type fits easily. The cost of U clamp type gear lock was 2200/-.

Regards

Akash
thanks Akash, can you please post a picture of the same. does it come specially for optra or it's a universal U clamp type for every vehicle?

My Matiz had a Rod-type gear lock (Brand mul-T Lock), set for reverse gear in locked state. It took little more than 1.5 Hrs to assemble and one guy was under the car during assembly. It gave total peace of mind :-) Take a day off, and get it and fix it from a dealer at Jalandhar or Amritsar. You might definitely have some other work there na ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Thank you guys for your valuable suggestions . I will get it installed during my next trip to Ludhiana (Dugri road). Or it could be next DIY [:D]

The U type is most straight forward to use, but a tiny bit noticeable in the cabin. Should be the preferred one.

The Rod locks movement from sideways but below the deck and is suitable for cable operated gear (Matiz had it). One advantage is its presence inside the cabin is the least. Main drawback is you need to bend down from your seat. After a super heavy meal, that could be tough.

Thread Starter #9
The U type is most straight forward to use, but a tiny bit noticeable in the cabin. Should be the preferred one.

The Rod locks movement from sideways but below the deck and is suitable for cable operated gear (Matiz had it). One advantage is its presence inside the cabin is the least. Main drawback is you need to bend down from your seat. After a super heavy meal, that could be tough.
Personally i like the pin type gear lock more, it internally lock the gear stick so i think it will be difficult to cut or break than U type one.
I will use it occasionally when i will park my car on road. Usually i park in attended parking lots.
BTW my arms are long and didn't have big TUMMY , so i can bend down without any problem even after heavy meal [:D]

I got Autocop Gear Lock (MGA) last year for my Dzire. The fitting took just 30 minutes and the work was neat. I would advice to get it fitted at the Chevy A.S.S., as they would be having gear locks (as they are universal for every car). I am having the rod type which costed Rs. 2000 (from Maruti), aftermarket prices are ~1200 bucks for non-branded ones and ~1500 for branded ones.

The rod type gear lock would lock the gear lever in the reverse gear. But, the process is cumbersome while unlocking the car (bending down, inserting the key, putting that rod in place) and also restricts the seat movement (problem for those with a short height). But, I have heard that it takes car thieves no more than 10 minutes to unlock any type of locks (steering, gear, etc.). [frustration]

For security, you can get an immobilizer and GPS tracker installed.

PS. The autocop gearlock came with detailed instructions on how to install. If you want to do a DIY, I can try to post a pic of the instructions.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
PS. The autocop gearlock came with detailed instructions on how to install. If you want to do a DIY, I can try to post a pic of the instructions.

Regards,
Nikunj
Please post the picture if you can, it will be very helpful. You know i will be more satisfied if i Do it myself (i am a DIY Guy) [glasses]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
But, I have heard that it takes car thieves no more than 10 minutes to unlock any type of locks (steering, gear, etc.). [frustration]

For security, you can get an immobilizer and GPS tracker installed.

Regards,
Nikunj

I think autocop is the best for this. I too got it for my verna. Called them on the same afternoon and a guy came and installed in 30 minutes.

Talking about the discomfort, the guy was placing the gear lock on the left side , i was surprised to see and asked him. He said sir your reverse gear engages in the front and at that time i got to know how much hassle it will be to unlock from the left side. anyways it's been months and don't find much trouble now.

And they also lock the gearlock from underneath the car and i have seen a mechanic trying to remove the gear lock since the owner lost the keys and i don't think it is a 10 minute task.

But thieves can unlock the steering lock in a minute. My friend was stuck on an highway dhabha. He was already having trouble with his i20's key. The car wasn't recognising the key so he couldn't start. a panwala was watching this and he himself came to him and said "i can call a thief for you, he'll unlock the car in a minute."

He called the thief :/ he came and did something with the wires , steering got unlocked and the car started. He paid him 200 rupees. He then went to hyundai service center and got all the locks changed.

@ saroya - why do you want to do a diy. Get autocop , a person will come and install it for free. This is already included in the price and believe me it's not that easy.

Attachments

Last edited:
@Saroya:
I am not having the Dzire with me right now. But I will try to post a pic of the gear lock (same as in my Dzire, MGA) installed in a Swift Zxi. It is installed on the right side as the reverse gear is slotted on the right side, unlike the Verna and the Liva.

BTW It looks almost the same as allhyundaicars has posted, though it has MGA branding.

Regards,
Nikunj

MODS: Please merge with the above post. Time limit for editing the above post had expired.

@Saroya:
This is the gear lock. In my Dzire, the brand is Autocop and in this car (friend's Swift) it is a Minda. The product is exactly same though.

1.png
Gear lock in the standby position

2.png
Another view (standby position)

3.png
Gear lock engaged

The problem I was mentioning about is that the gear lock (if installed on the RHS) hinders the seat movement. But, this is a problem only for shorter drivers who need to keep their seats in a forward position.

4.png
The seat actually can travel this far (forward)...

5.png
...but the gear lock (when engaged) rubs against the seat

One can slide the seat back and disengage the gear lock, though. [lol] It is a cumbersome process, anyway.

PS. Sorry for the out-of-focus and low-res pictures. The (friend's) Samsung S4 camera suffers in low light conditions. Had to take screenshots to bring the ~5MB pictures to required size. Plus can't order someone else (non-enthusiast) to click better gear-lock pictures, especially when that someone is a girl! [lol]

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

Top Bottom