Low Profile Tyres on Toyota Liva Stock Rims : Advisable?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I own a Toyota Liva GD SP, running on the stock JK tyres and 14" rims, with 29,500+ kms already clocked. The JKs still have some life left but I am planning to go for some better tyres at the 30k kms milestone. The stock tyre size is 175/65R14.

Now, being a Punjabi [lol] , I was thinking of going extreme and trying out a low-profile tyre combination. The 14" rims are in perfect condition, without any signs of rust or damage, and I am happy even without the alloy wheels. The 14" rims will remain and I will be experimenting on the tyres. Low profile tyres look better and are said to give better cornering abilities. Now I was looking out for the negatives of having them installed with the stock rims:

1. How will the steering response change? I am okay with tight steering as, from now on, my daily drive would be 80+ km per day and 50 km of that would be in proper paved highway roads.

2. How will the suspension be affected? Also looking for disadvantages to other mechanical components.

3. How will the GC be affected? I am not worrying about negotiating speed breakers as there aren't many in my locality and route. I think the car owners with lowered suspensions would be facing the same fate that I will face if I were to change to low-profile tyres.

4. How will the handling be affected? I am not looking for drastic changes in the handling department. I cruise at a steady 100 kmph and do like to practice hard cornering and braking when conditions allow.

5. How will the FE be affected? I am okay with a 2/4 kmpl drop but nothing more than that.

6. What will be the effect on the warranty? My car is still under warranty. In case a warranty issue piles up, I would be keeping the JKs with me to switch over to them, in that case.

Budget is not a constraint. I am looking for Michelin, Yokohama, BS and similar known brands. The availability of low-profile tyres in 14" would be a problem though. Basically, I am looking for less road noise, better grip and a good-looking tread pattern if possible. Do tell the possible sizes also.

Have not still finalised on this idea. Waiting for the experts to pour their advice regarding the feasibility. If it doesn't work out, would look for slightly wider rubber with wider profile.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
I assume you have steel rim on your car. Now having a low profile tyres on those rim will increase the chance of rim bend/out.

If you really wish to have a low profile tyre then switch to 15" alloys. And you can switch to 195/55 R15 or 195/60 R15 tyres.

Low profile tyres are good for mileage, stability on corners, looks good. But on other hand it increases chances of puncture if driven on bad road, gets wore out a little earlier and less cushion on bad roads.

Just having low profile tyre will not improve you car aesthetic, but it should fill the wheel arc properly.

There are many companies which makes these size tyres.
- Michellin XM2
- Bridgestone Potenza GIII
- Yokohama sDrive
- Goodyear Eagle f1

Thread Starter #4
Go for 195/60r14 tyres. size available in both Michelin and Yokohama too.
I actually don't like the wide profile of my stock tyres, so I was thinking at getting as low as I could get. Since 195/60's sidewall means 60% of 195mm, I don't think this would match my purpose.

195/60's sidewall = ~117mm
175/65's sidewall (stock) = ~113.7mm

Doesn't this mean that the 195/60's sidewall would be wider?

Anyway, I can keep this as an alternative in case the low-profile plan doesn't work out. Something is better than nothing! [lol]

I assume you have steel rim on your car. Now having a low profile tyres on those rim will increase the chance of rim bend/out.
I will be travelling on well-paved roads from now on. So, maximum 10% chances of travelling on bad roads. I was actually looking at the possibility of getting the lowest profile, while not fiddling much (i.e. under 2% deviation) from the normal.

If you really wish to have a low profile tyre then switch to 15" alloys. And you can switch to 195/55 R15 or 195/60 R15 tyres.
I am not having enough budget to change the rims, that's why I was looking for this possibility. If budget would have been adequate, I would have looked at 16/17" choices with low-profile tyres.

Low profile tyres are good for mileage, stability on corners, looks good. But on other hand it increases chances of puncture if driven on bad road, gets wore out a little earlier and less cushion on bad roads.
I think low-profile tyres decrease the mileage. This is because the tyre width increases and due to friction or something, the engine has to do more hardwork. Correct me if I am wrong.

Just having low profile tyre will not improve you car aesthetic, but it should fill the wheel arc properly.
Agreed. I think the car would be lowered a bit by the low-profile tyres. But, the gap b/w the tyre and the wheel arc would look weird. Anyway, let the suggestions roll in.

Regards,
Nikunj

Thread Starter #5
While searching on the internet, I found some useful info regarding tyre upsizes. I calculated a few possible upsizes that are under limits of 2%.

With 196/65R14, the car would not be lowered as the diameter would increase. The sidewall height would also be more than stock. With 205/55R14, the sidewall height would decrease by approx. 0.1 cm, which is negligible. The sidewall height would be less than the stock one. The % difference is also less in the 205/55R14 option.

Now wondering whether 205mm tyre would fit on the stock rims (that came with 175mm tyre) or not? Will the tyre scrape the wheel arc under full load conditions? [cry]

Need more suggestions and opinions. Also, what are the possible brands that make 205/55R14 tyres.

Capture.PNG

PS. Sorry for back-to-back post. Time limit had expired.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
Hay buddy, 205 profile is too much. 20mm wider from stock size is maximum advised limit and that to without any guarantee. 205mm will rub everywhere in wheel arch and will destroy your suspension . I think 205mm will not fit on your stock rims.

Thread Starter #7
Hay buddy, 205 profile is too much. 20mm wider from stock size is maximum advised limit and that to without any guarantee. 205mm will rub everywhere in wheel arch and will destroy your suspension . I think 205mm will not fit on your stock rims.
Agreed. So, 20mm more than stock size means 195mm.
Now, with 195mm section and 14" rim size, I have to choose a profile that will be readily available and will have the least % diameter difference.

After a bit searching on the internet, 195/60 is the best option I think. 195/60 has 1.xx % diameter difference and that's within the limit. Waiting to get my car back from repair shop, so I can visit the tyre shop and know the prices.

---

So, thanks to Saroya and amitpshelke, I have finally decided on the 195/60R14 tyre. Experts please answer the following questions:

1. Will the tyre fit on the stock rim (given its width)? Are there any others using this combination in their Liva?

2. Which are the brands that I can look out for? I want decent mix of handling and comfort, but want to avoid too soft compound tyres. Budget is not a constraint if I get good characteristics in a tyre.

3. Would like to know how much would these tyres normally last? I am needing a replacement in 30k kms, so you can judge my driving style. [lol]

4. Should I keep the stock JK tyres with me? This is because I would hardly get money from them and I can replace them if I need to take insurance/warranty claims. I also had a talk with the dealer at Toyota, who strictly adviced against 195 or 205 section tyres, saying that maximum size is what the Liva 1.5 TRD carries. And, it would void my warranty. Well, it is no big problem if I keep the old tyres with me.

Waiting for more replies and suggestions.[:)]

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
Already suggested best upgrade for you in my earlier post veer ji.[;)]
You may need spacers , i am not sure.
I think bridgestone has the qualities you are looking for. Apollo is an option too in budget tyres.
Keep the stock tyres with you.
I think every brand can serve you for 30k at least .

Thread Starter #9
Already suggested best upgrade for you in my earlier post veer ji.
You may need spacers , i am not sure.
I think bridgestone has the qualities you are looking for. Apollo is an option too in budget tyres.
Keep the stock tyres with you.
I think every brand can serve you for 30k at least .
Actually veer ji (brother), now situation is totally different. We are starting a small taxi business (with privately owned vehicles) and there are full chances that my Liva will be used there. I didn't knew of this earlier because I had done a casual talk with Dad about the same, and last night I got a call regarding this. Will open up a new thread as we need 3 more cars. [:)]

In case, I use the Liva, then I may go for Bridgestone and if it is used as taxi, then I think I would have to look for cheap, super-hard compound ([lol]) and long lasting tyres. And I think stock size would be best in the taxi alternative. What do you recommend?

Regards,
Nikunj

Actually veer ji (brother), now situation is totally different. We are starting a small taxi business (with privately owned vehicles) and there are full chances that my Liva will be used there. I didn't knew of this earlier because I had done a casual talk with Dad about the same, and last night I got a call regarding this. Will open up a new thread as we need 3 more cars. [:)]

In case, I use the Liva, then I may go for Bridgestone and if it is used as taxi, then I think I would have to look for cheap, super-hard compound ([lol]) and long lasting tyres. And I think stock size would be best in the taxi alternative. What do you recommend?

Regards,
Nikunj
Without permit ?
Budget tyres are Apollo , Goodyear , Jk, falken etc.
Even Cheaper are nankang etc and other Chinese tyres.

@Niku:
Just one question:
If your Liva is going into your cab business and you are gonna get your new car within 20 days then why to get alloys and low profile rubber for Liva?

Thread Starter #12
@TSIVipul:
I am not going for alloys or low-profile tyres now, sir. The Taxi plan came after the tyre upgrade plan and thus, I was looking for low-profile tyres at that time. Now, thinking of going for JK and other low-price tyres in the stock size, as the current ones need replacement. [:)]

Regards,
Nikunj

Its no use going for low profile tires if the net effective diameter of your tires is decreasing. So it is a better option to go for the rims of a higher diameter, the con is a reduced impact absorbing capability of tires and hence a harsher ride.

All in all, go for Bridgestone Turanzas of the stock size and you will live happy forever.

Top Bottom