Sunfilm Air Bubbles

Thread Starter #1
Hai TAIgers, i recently installed garware sun film in my alto. The problem disturbing me now is that i can see tiny air bubbles in my sun film, but my dealer promised me that they ll disappear in a weeks time. Should i trust him...?will the bubbles actually disappear...?pl help[confused]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hai TAIgers, i recently installed garware sun film in my alto. The problem disturbing me now is that i can see tiny air bubbles in my sun film, but my dealer promised me that they ll disappear in a weeks time. Should i trust him...?will the bubbles actually disappear...?pl help
Varun foremost, as per law and ruling of the court in India, no sunfilm is allowed in any car. No amount of transparency percentage is allowed by court. Suggest you to get it removed at earliest.

Regards

Akash

Varun foremost, as per law and ruling of the court in India, no sunfilm is allowed in any car. No amount of transparency percentage is allowed by court. Suggest you to get it removed at earliest.
How actively is it enforced and what are the penalties if caught? I know in certain countries its only banned on front and rear windshields.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
How actively is it enforced and what are the penalties if caught? I know in certain countries its only banned on front and rear windshields.
In India, it is very much actively enforced specially in the Delhi-NCR region and many other states. Penalty is around Rs. 100 in Noida and Delhi. At max you can have a stripe on top of front windshield here.

Regards

Akash

@Varunvelavan:
First of all, any sunfilm (no matter of how much VLT) is banned. You can try "Magnetic Curtains", which are an alternative to sunfilms and fit snugly. Though, I am not sure if they are legal. Get it removed if you have it on the windows. If there is a stripe on the front windshield, then it is okay.

Anyway, coming to your query, if you are having bubbles in the sunfilm, you can try to press them with a squeeze (or a credit/debit card covered with a cloth) to remove them, by moving the bubbles to the sides. You can also make a small hole by using a safety pin (or cutter) and then press the air out from the bubble. Using a heat gun / hair dryer also works. You can heat up the area and the bubbles will be easier to remove, and the film will also fit better.

And, the dealer is WRONG. It will never go away itself if you don't apply pressure over the area. Tell him to get this corrected at his shop.

Regards,
Nikunj

As Mr Niku said, it wont go. You can request for a reapplication of the film.

Years back When I had Garware international film It had air bubbles in one of the quarter glass. I didn't request for a reapplication, since I use to get enough discounts from them for every purchases.

I did some DIY to avoid that.
If you wish you can follow these steps..
*Clean the surface.
*Using a hairdryer, heat the spot where you see the air bubble.
*Now using a pointed needle or a pin just make a gentle press so as to make a tiny hole for the air to escape.(Dont try to make more than one hole for a single bubble)
*Using a microfiber cloth wipe the spot with some pressure. Now the film will stick on to the glass without any air bubble.

NOTE: Usage of Sunfilm is illegal in India.

I remember when i installed LUMAX film in my old wagonr, it was during a rainy day,hence clouds of dense airy layer was formed between Glass-resin And Film, with slight air bubbles.

It went of within a month.

I have sun films on my car,its really clear.3m 70vlt & cuts out alot of UV rays & some 25% heat I assume. Why the law says its completely banned is cos of Indian gullible mentality where vendors will sell old legal stock 50% tint with sticker saying legal etc. I am guessing your Garware is one of them.Obviously law is trying to prevent crime by having clear windows.

As for air bubbles. You have applied your sunfilm on the street or your car interior was not properly cleaned.Its dust that makes these air bubbles. Ask any professional abroad & they will tell you this. And I don't recommend you use a pin to pop them atleast if they are too many together.

If getting the work redone just get work in dust free place as possible. Drying out time for airbubbles is one week as long as car does visit some sunlight.

I have sun films on my car,its really clear.3m 70vlt & cuts out alot of UV rays & some 25% heat I assume. Why the law says its completely banned is cos of Indian gullible mentality where vendors will sell old legal stock 50% tint with sticker saying legal etc. I am guessing your Garware is one of them.Obviously law is trying to prevent crime by having clear windows.
Recently had a visit to 3m car care outlet in Kadugodi, Bangalore. He said 3m cr70/90(I don't remember whether he was referring to both or any one of them) are not illegal in India and it can be used without any problem. I repeatedly asked him isn't every sunfilms are banned? He said no, this product is legal. I shot a mail to 3m for confirming the same, but yet to get any response.

So my question is, is it legal? I never heard anything about this from any other source.

Last edited:
@Kichu:

I was issued a challan for sun films in Chandigarh. My sun film was also removed on the spot sometime in February this year. I was having jet black tints but the cops had stopped other cars also with really light sun films (you would hardly notice if the window was closed) with the reason that they are banned totally.

I think this depends from state to state. In Chandigarh, there are hardly any cars left with dark tints and in villages of Haryana and Faridabad (Tigaon and Kheri Kalan side), there are hardly any cars left without dark tints. [lol]

Waiting for your update on the mail you had sent. If they say in their reply, then only I can believe as the 3M guy would have told this just to sell his product (I know they have a good reputation, but who knows).

Regards,
Nikunj

In bangalore lot of guys use sunfilms and nobody really cares, its a thin line like if you are not on wrong side of law sun film will not get noticed by cop if they are really 70%.

Regarding air bubbles if you apply some heat it will stick, like if you keep it in sun for 2-3 hours it should stick if air has gap to escape and the gum is still there

Last edited:
Well if you wear a plastic factory hard hat & ride a two wheeler its considered a helmet :) & you wont have trouble. Lets use common sense for a sec & wonder why sunfilm was banned. Its obviously heavily tinted glass led to crime! If you have 70vlt sunfilm is very clear. If cop is a jerk & has super vision then maybe u get a fine. But since 2012 I have never had a cop even ask me despite alot of checking etc.
Even at TAI meet last year when pointing out sunfilm the members had never noticed it till then.
Are transparent sunfilm illegal? The law says so! But its not a crime at as it only cuts out a little heat & UV.I don't think anyone should worry about such a thing.

@ Kichu just see a car with CR70 or 90. You will never know it has a film till a warranty sticker gives it away. Its called crystalline series guess front windsheild is about 11k. Not sure about price but they are priced ridiculous. The one I have in my car charcoal shade 70vlt & no one even notices it as its very transperent. If your going for cr series then you will never have issues.Cos they are windsheild sun films originally.

The top sun strip on my car windshield has re50 from 3m which is a steel/mirror colour mettalic sun film(cuts out a ton of heat). Again not noticable.

If your on a budget ask for RE70 for side windows.They cut out alot of heat & very transparent.

Last edited:
Well if you wear a plastic factory hard hat & ride a two wheeler its considered a helmet :) & you wont have trouble. Lets use common sense for a sec & wonder why sunfilm was banned. Its obviously heavily tinted glass led to crime! If you have 70vlt sunfilm is very clear. If cop is a jerk & has super vision then maybe u get a fine. But since 2012 I have never had a cop even ask me despite alot of checking etc.
Even at TAI meet last year when pointing out sunfilm the members had never noticed it till then.
Are transparent sunfilm illegal? The law says so! But its not a crime at as it only cuts out a little heat & UV.I don't think anyone should worry about such a thing.

@ Kichu just see a car with CR70 or 90. You will never know it has a film till a warranty sticker gives it away. Its called crystalline series guess front windsheild is about 11k. Not sure about price but they are priced ridiculous. The one I have in my car charcoal shade 70vlt & no one even notices it as its very transperent. If your going for cr series then you will never have issues.Cos they are windsheild sun films originally.

The top sun strip on my car windshield has re50 from 3m which is a steel/mirror colour mettalic sun film(cuts out a ton of heat). Again not noticable.

If your on a budget ask for RE70 for side windows.They cut out alot of heat & very transparent.
He even showed us a CR70 installed vehicle and also did a sample experiment using a device (A light source placed in the middle of a 4 sided glass box) where the heat coming through the cr70 installed glass is very less when felt with our hands compared to the other glasses. He said, 3m logo on the film can be removed if you want to.
Yes, its quite promising but still worried about the crazy cops.

He quoted approx Rs.7500 for the front windshield of our vento.

^ Well its a bit OT here but ya go for it. Am sure it wont be an issue.Just ask them if they can vaccum clean car interior before install on windsheild so less dust in the car. Bubbles on front windsheild can be prob at night during rain. Headlights will blind you more than usual.

Try getting the RE series 70vlt for sides if you want to save money & cut out heat at same time.

And just make sure you get a look at the box they take the film out of. It will be a big 6 feet long with details. My friend was cheated by someone on his car a local shop saying he offered genuine 3m but I figured it wasn't

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Sunflim Bubble on Frit

Hi guys , first of all the frit is the black band / dots that comes installed on a windshield.

I have a sunfilm on the front windshield and i recently bought a dash cam which is fitted by using a suction cup. This is how i installed it just behind the rear view mirror so that the camera is less visible seeing from outside ( i am afraid someone can see it as an expesnive item and try to steal it )

After 2 days the camera fell down , i installed it again and after a few minutes it fell down again.

On close inspection , i saw there was a bubble the size of the suction cup on the frit. So i can't install the dash cam in that area but below the black dots.

But if i install it below it's clearly visible and i don't want that. I have to remove the dash cam every night.

So my question - can i cut a small circle on the sunfilm near the frit so that i can permanently install the camera ?

I am thinking if i cut it there is a chance that the whole film would come off after some time.

Top Bottom