Everyone among us wishes to accessorize/modify his/her ride. All of us look out to good car/bike accessories shops and online portal to choose and buy the accessory that we feel shall look good and also fits our bill. But after buying or rather I would say after fixing it we realize that the accessory doesn't gel with the ride but then we are left with no option except to carry on with it in most cases.
There are all categories of car/bike accessories available in open market today and there are plethora of options (read=brand) offering them. But before we make the purchase, how often do we give a thought to the fact that whether the accessory shall look good on the car or not? How often do we think that using a after market accessory (Even though Branded) shall effect the overall appearance of the car?
Many of us including myself are a big time lovers of well-tuned cars/bikes all thanks to the modification culture that was spiced up by some prominent Bollywood and Hollywood movies. But do all technical modifications gel with the capacity of the car/bike? Do we ever analyse that for e.g a particular free flow exhaust may not sound and look good on a particular car or bike?
Coming to the structural modification, this is something that is picking up in our market. People turning their hatch backs into sub-4m CS by designing a boot. Some go to the extent of stretching their sedan to look like a Limo. Some make a good old car come out as a contemporary looking car but does anyone give a thought that whether a particular design/mod will complement the car's present structure? Mind You, changing the actual structure of the car has more number of disadvantages than the positives.
What I feel is that people should choose an accessory or modification keeping in mind the structure and capacity of their vehicle. Choosing something that might create issues later on should best be avoided. I'll share my own experience, as many of you know, I own a City I-Vtec and ever since I bought that car, I have tried a host of accessories on it. At one time it appeared as if it was a accessory shop on wheels
Later on, when I referred to some of the best advises provided on net and by my friends, I decided to re-do the whole car which costed me a-lot. I realized that spoiling a thing with incomplete knowledge is far easier than re-doing it with good amount of knowledge. Hence, with my experience being there, the car that you all see now is way more subtle than the over the top "Clown on Wheels
". I with my practical experience realized that not every accessory is meant to complement a particular car and no matter if you may have the resources for carrying out the best of mods to the car or bike but in the end it has to complement with the overall looks/specifications of the car or bike. It shouldn't be harmful to the vehicle after all and I am sure, all of you are aware that any misjudgment on part of buying a accessory might lead to further damage both to the vehicle as well as your pocket.
Below are a few points that I would like to suggest to all readers here about purchasing the right accessory for the car/bike:
1) Purchase an Accessory for the vehicle if you feel it would complement your vehicle's design.
2) Impulse purchase of accessories for the cars and bikes are best to be avoided at all times. Take your time to decide whether you actually need it.
3) Accessorizing a car or bike is a matter of taste, but definitely one should analyse the positive and negative aspect of the same.
4) Structural Modifications to any car are best to be avoided. If the car is rusted, it is better to restore it to original shape than trying out new designs.
5) Do not try to ape a particular design as that might not go well with every vehicle. Every design has some distinct character to it.
6) Make sure that any type of accessorizing or structural modification should not add additional weight to the car because that will impact the overall ride of the car.
7) Always research properly about what you intend to buy, how you plan to execute a mod, gain knowledge about a similar modification in prior from e-books and other sources available.
8) If you invest money on accessories for cars and bikes then make sure you are convinced about it. Being in two-minds about it will only increase confusion. There are only 2 ways: Either you buy it or you leave it.
9) Passion and Necessity are the 2 factors, which play a major role in modifying and accessorizing a vehicle. So don't be too passionate on car accessories and give due importance to necessity.
10) Make sure that no accessories which you intend to place on your vehicle shall lead to any warranty issues. This is one factor that plays a havoc in many owner's lives.
So friends, I do hope that these humble suggestions about modifying or accessorizing your vehicle shall be helpful and would help you in choosing the right thing for your vehicle.
All the very best!!