Can I Buy a Base Model Car and Upgrade it To My Choice?

Thread Starter #1
Hey TAI-gers!
If I buy a Base model car (Ex: Xcent 1.1 CRDi Base), is it possible to turn it into the top line variant (except engine)? I mean, Can I add the features of the top line variant to the base model car?

It is high time we all give priority to road and our own safety.

As alfa mentioned, you cannot fit airbags and ABS. So it is better you buy the top end or go for the i10 Grand top end atleast.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I sometimes think the same,
we need base variants which come with Airbags and ABS. Rest we can customize.
Sometimes Factory Music system, Seats, Decals, Lamps, Alloys etc are very expensive and yet not to our liking, So its better to buy base and upgrade.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
we need base variants which come with Airbags and ABS. Rest we can customize.
Sometimes Factory Music system, Seats, Decals, Lamps, Alloys etc are very expensive and yet not to our liking, So its better to buy base and upgrade.
+1, I own a E Model 2011 Honda City Ivtec, It came with dual front Airbags and ABS as standard that time. After that, OEM fixed Kenwood Stereo with fake speakers (Charged me 10,000 for it), Reversing sensors (8000), body color door handle and ORVMs (5000), Sunfilm V-kool (5000) in all I remember them taking INR 37,000 for all accessories. I was not aware of the malpractices hence fell for it.

After buying that car, I have customized it and have spent a lot of money to accessorize it both in terms of accessories and performance mods.

Here is the proof

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

My car did not have any fog lamps or alloys. Everything I fixed is after market.

This is how the base model City of mine looks now.

img_20141211_152542.jpg

img_20141211_152515.jpg

Regards

Akash

bhvm

Honoured Member
Wow Man those alloys are neat!
8k for sensors is total loot. we can get aftermarket Camera for 5k these days.

I see you have 4 drls ! why don't you go for aftermarket proper fog lamps and HID upgrade for headlight?

how about racing stripes or something?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I see you have 4 drls ! why don't you go for aftermarket proper fog lamps and HID upgrade for headlight?

how about racing stripes or something?
Our fellow member and my friend Himanshu from IDE has suggested me on racing stripes, will take the call on it. And as for the HID and all, feel too lazy to again open headlamp and do the stuff. As it is the car is 3 year 3 month old. But yes I am planning to change the corner LED to those White LED bar. Driven gave me a price of INR 850.

Regards

Akash

Hi,
I went through that dilemma and regret buying the lower trim. If for nothing, the brakes at low speed are pretty indifferent. I miss the brake boost effect at the low rolling speeds even though the final brakes are good

Ameyam

Hi RVSB, why would you like to go for a base model? The only safety thing yoy can put on it is a bullbar. Try some other car or try the top variant. BTW have you decided on the 1.1 crdi variant? If so then please dont buy it. Dude one of your requirements was low end torque and power. Not top speed. This engine has none of the above. Even if the power of a 1.4 etios is the same, due to larger capacity it will produce way more torque and will outrun this car in a drag. On a redlight, try racing with an Etios and im pretty sure you will lose. This car is one of the fastest city cars i have ever sat in. It has absolutely no turbo lag. It can easily pull on inclines and will be much easier to drive in traffic.

To put things clear, you have more than 1 answer for this question
1) Feasibility - YES
2) Practicality - MAY BE
3) Worthiness - NO

Any base model can be converted to Top variant with all features. All that you need is more Vitamin-M. If safety feature is standards across variants and the difference is only the comfort features list, this task will be easy (comparatively) and will be cheaper than the OE Top end variant compromising / risking the Warranty. If the case is like upgrading the safety features as well, again it can be done, but sometimes you need to stripe down the car to skeleton to get it done, which will end up at a cost higher than OE Top spec. Adding ABS / Airbag to a base model is not something impossible, it's possible but not VFM / Worthy. All necessary parts along with ECUs (and sometimes additional body structures also) are required along with a skilled mechanic. In simple, it won't be just adding few parts, it will involve replacing most of the existing parts and hence time & money consuming.

Thread Starter #11
@Mr. Aakash
Your City looks Awesomely Awesome!!![glasses][:D]
If you don't mind, Can I have the first photo as my Wallpaper???[;)]

Hi. I'm planning to buy honda brio emt. Can I convert rear windows as power windows. Can anybdy help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I'm planning to buy honda brio emt. Can I convert rear windows as power windows. Can anybdy help me?
Not a big task, can be done easily. But I'm not sure if HASS will do it with OE parts. There are several aftermarket alternatives available. Quality wise they may be at-par or even better than OE parts, but aesthetically they can't match the OE spec (I mean the control switches)

If you can compromise on the above point, you get several options. if not, get the necessary parts from HASS and get it done from outside (if HASS couldn't do it)

In most cases, adding aftermarket parts is equal or more expensive than buying the next model in the list. I believe that manufacturers make the base models only to add numbers to the cheap side of listing i.e. to advertise a starting from price. You should atleast go for the s model in the Brio

Ameyam

Top Bottom